"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 12-22-2015, 05:02 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Choosing cheap wines for recipes

I just grab whatever we have open and add it. (Which is usually cheap wine.). We also have sweet and dry vermouth, as well as sherry and port on hand. The latter two add a nice flavor to mushroom soup and other dishes. I understand your confusion if you're not typically a wine drinker, though. Have fun experimenting!

Old 12-23-2015, 12:20 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Many recipes that call for the addition of wine are based on Mediterranean cuisine. Also of course other European countries.
My theory is based on having lived in S. France for an extended time and having travelled extensively throughout other countries in Europe.
Your basic 'plonk' everyday locally produced table wine in these countries is generally what a 'Westerner' who enjoys drinking wines would call 'good' to 'very good'.
When these wines are used in cooking over there they would compare to say a $20+ bottle of wine we buy in the store.
Please note I used the word "generally". There are some table wines grown in C. Europe which are IMHO crap!

Tags
cheap, recipe, recipes, wine

Choosing cheap wines for recipes As someone just attempting to learn to cook, I also know nothing about wines or cooking with them. I read the entire 'Why do You Cook With Wine' thread, so picked up on the reasons for using wine in some recipes. I also saw the suggestion for only using wine that you would drink. I wouldn't care to drink any of it. So choosing becomes a problem. The local grocery store has Chardonnay from $3 to $55 and red from $3 to $300. Brands mean nothing to me. I suspect I would dislike it all. So, at what threshold does the wine become 'good enough' to use for cooking? I would be inclined to spend as little as possible. This isn't a major thing for me. In compiling hundreds of possible recipes, I have avoided any that mentioned wine. But if the cost is minimal, I'd be willing to experiment. 3 stars 1 reviews