Originally Posted by Mad Cook
For some reason which I can't fathom, South American reds give me an almighty headache. Nothing to do with over-imbibing - one glass can do it. Australian reds are the same. Very odd because European reds don't. (I don't know about North American ones).
This isn't wine snobbery or psychosomatic because it's the same if I don't know the source of the wne.
All wines have sulphites so it can't be that and it doesn't matter whether the wine is high end or "plonk".
It is probably the tannin content of the wine. This could be from the type of grape to the soil where the grapes are grown. Also, different woods used for the barrels will have different tannin levels, depending where the tree was grown.