"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 01-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Thanks for the suggestion. The refrigerator in my temporary quarters is so small that I'll have to wait until I move before I can take up your suggestion.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #22
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Greg, if you like 2-buck Chuck, you can save a lot of money by buying the Franzia boxed Chardonnay instead. They are exactly the same thing. Bronco wines owns both companies and bottles both from the same vats. In your case, you are paying extra for the bottles!
Actually, Franzia boxed wines are made by a different company. The Franzia company was bought out by Coca-Cola in the 1970s (it's been since bought by someone else, though I don't remember who). Fred, Joe, and John Franzia formed Bronco after this happened.

Ironically, the Franzias are not legally allowed to use their family name for their wines, since it was one of the stipulations of the purchase.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #23
Master Chef

I have seen the Bota, will try them. I'm not a fussy drinker. Years ago I had to give up hard booze, and I don't like beer much, so cheap wine is the name of the game. Don't get me wrong, I'll spring for more for an occasion. But for regular drinking it's usually Almaden. Sometimes Franzia is the only thing available. Not my favorite, especially since the spout is incredibly messy.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #24
Master Chef

I always have a box of Peter Vella Chardonnay in the refrigerator. I've tried all the boxed brands and in my opinion, this one is the best by far.
We always pack a box in our checked luggage when we travel. We like expensive wine on occasion, but it's very convenient to have a glass of wine in our room and there's no fear of breakage in our luggage. Yes, it's bulky and heavy but that only means that Steve takes fewer clothes. There are important priorities you know!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Actually, Franzia boxed wines are made by a different company. The Franzia company was bought out by Coca-Cola in the 1970s (it's been since bought by someone else, though I don't remember who). Fred, Joe, and John Franzia formed Bronco after this happened.

Ironically, the Franzias are not legally allowed to use their family name for their wines, since it was one of the stipulations of the purchase.
The did the same thing here. Remember Taylor California Cellars? It was made in NY. Coca cola stopped grape contracts with all of the growers around here, and when I first came here, you couldn't find Coke in a store or gas station, they were so hated. The guy opened another winery called "Bully Hill." I don't know what happened to Taylor.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Boxed or bottled. It all depends on who your company is and who you are serving it to. "Here mother-in-law, you love this!"
Old 01-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #27
Head Chef

This thread reminded me that I have a bottle of 2Buck
Chuck that a friend gave me to try. I'll do that tonight.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
This thread reminded me that I have a bottle of 2Buck
Chuck that a friend gave me to try. I'll do that tonight.
Make sure you invite the right folks.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

A vote for Black Box here. Merlot or Cabernet. Not great but pretty decent for my taste. Also good for cooking. In my area it usually ends up being around $4.50-5.50 per 750ml or between $18 to $21 for the box. Cheers!
Old 01-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #30
Executive Chef

What's a good box wine that is similar to a sweet Port?

I love Fairbanks Port. It's the only wine I drink. At 18%ABV, it's strong, but not sticky sweet. I strongly dislike dry wines. Any suggestions on a good boxed wine I might like?