Drinkable Box Wines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the suggestion. The refrigerator in my temporary quarters is so small that I'll have to wait until I move before I can take up your suggestion.

Greg, if you like 2-buck Chuck, you can save a lot of money by buying the Franzia boxed Chardonnay instead. They are exactly the same thing. Bronco wines owns both companies and bottles both from the same vats. In your case, you are paying extra for the bottles!
Actually, Franzia boxed wines are made by a different company. The Franzia company was bought out by Coca-Cola in the 1970s (it's been since bought by someone else, though I don't remember who). Fred, Joe, and John Franzia formed Bronco after this happened.

Ironically, the Franzias are not legally allowed to use their family name for their wines, since it was one of the stipulations of the purchase.

I have seen the Bota, will try them. I'm not a fussy drinker. Years ago I had to give up hard booze, and I don't like beer much, so cheap wine is the name of the game. Don't get me wrong, I'll spring for more for an occasion. But for regular drinking it's usually Almaden. Sometimes Franzia is the only thing available. Not my favorite, especially since the spout is incredibly messy.

I always have a box of Peter Vella Chardonnay in the refrigerator. I've tried all the boxed brands and in my opinion, this one is the best by far.
We always pack a box in our checked luggage when we travel. We like expensive wine on occasion, but it's very convenient to have a glass of wine in our room and there's no fear of breakage in our luggage. Yes, it's bulky and heavy but that only means that Steve takes fewer clothes. There are important priorities you know!

Last edited:
Actually, Franzia boxed wines are made by a different company. The Franzia company was bought out by Coca-Cola in the 1970s (it's been since bought by someone else, though I don't remember who). Fred, Joe, and John Franzia formed Bronco after this happened.

Ironically, the Franzias are not legally allowed to use their family name for their wines, since it was one of the stipulations of the purchase.

The did the same thing here. Remember Taylor California Cellars? It was made in NY. Coca cola stopped grape contracts with all of the growers around here, and when I first came here, you couldn't find Coke in a store or gas station, they were so hated. The guy opened another winery called "Bully Hill." I don't know what happened to Taylor.

Boxed or bottled. It all depends on who your company is and who you are serving it to. "Here mother-in-law, you love this!" ;)

A vote for Black Box here. Merlot or Cabernet. Not great but pretty decent for my taste. Also good for cooking. In my area it usually ends up being around $4.50-5.50 per 750ml or between $18 to $21 for the box. Cheers!

What's a good box wine that is similar to a sweet Port?

I love Fairbanks Port. It's the only wine I drink. At 18%ABV, it's strong, but not sticky sweet. I strongly dislike dry wines. Any suggestions on a good boxed wine I might like?

A vote for Black Box here. Merlot or Cabernet. Not great but pretty decent for my taste. Also good for cooking. In my area it usually ends up being around $4.50-5.50 per 750ml or between $18 to $21 for the box. Cheers!
Tried the Cab this evening. With no previous experience with boxed wines (and precious little experience with "premium" cabs) I give it a thumbs up.

"Offering a lush display of dark berries" the marketing blurb says, and that was indeed my first taste impression. Very fruity, flavorful wine. Not quite as smooth as I'd wish for, but really, not bad at all. I wouldn't be at at all reluctant to serve it to dinner guests. Good for sipping as well.

My local supermarket sells it for $18.99 (marked down from $24.99). I doubt I could find anything comparable at less than $10 per bottle. Great find.

Want good boxed wine, go South African!
SA4.jpg

4cousins.jpg

Want good boxed wine, go South African!
Hi Snip,

I honestly haven't seen any boxed SA wines in this area, but speaking of South Africa wines, I won a bunch tonight in a silent auction. I'm actually pretty excited to try them. One of the bottles (Overgaauw) is a wine my wife and I have had before and really like. The others I'm not as familiar with, but have it on good authority that they are also as good as the Overgaauw.

Some of my favorite wines come from South Africa. :)

Hi Snip,

I honestly haven't seen any boxed SA wines in this area, but speaking of South Africa wines, I won a bunch tonight in a silent auction. I'm actually pretty excited to try them. One of the bottles (Overgaauw) is a wine my wife and I have had before and really like. The others I'm not as familiar with, but have it on good authority that they are also as good as the Overgaauw.

Some of my favorite wines come from South Africa. :)

Hi Steve :)

South African wines are good. I suppose they won't export boxed wine there. We keep our own cheap stuff :LOL:
Wish I could go do the Cape wine route again. Great fun with loads of good food and wine. Hope you like your Auction wines :)

After the Black Box Cabernet (which I liked), I moved on to the Merlot (which I like even more). Two complaints, however, about the box arrangement:

The first glass or two can be messy, Never know where the squirt from the spigot will end up. One solution would be to empty into a wide mouth bowl, and transfer to the glass. Once the pressure is diminished, the remaining glasses are neat and easy.

Until the near end of the supply is reached. Tipping the box will help, but eventually I found I had to open the box, remove the bag, and cut a small opening in the corner to drain the last glass.

Minor inconveniences, to be sure, but I would hope there might be advances in box "technology" to eliminate them. Good wine, though, without question.

I like Franzia's White Zinfandel for an everyday wine. I keep it on the counter to avoid taking up too much fridge space. When I pour a glass, I (gasp!) put a couple ice cubes in it. Works for me :)

I like Franzia's White Zinfandel for an everyday wine. I keep it on the counter to avoid taking up too much fridge space. When I pour a glass, I (gasp!) put a couple ice cubes in it. Works for me :)

I have this same wine in the fridge all of the time. It also works well for making wine coolers. :rolleyes:

GG, you mean I can come out of the closet with my goblet of iced wine? :ohmy:
Here's to the tinkle of ice in wine. High fives! :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom