"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 03-29-2012, 04:28 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Buongiorno, Guys,

How about some recommendations for UK and USA ales / beers and lagers for Easter meals ?

German Beers ? Belgian Dessert beers ??

Grazie.
Margi.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:31 AM   #12
Executive Chef

@ Steve,

Apple wine: do you mean Sparkling Sidra which is Apple Cider with a 5% - 25% alcohol content and is from Asturias, Spain ? I like it in summer and to cook with, POLLO A LA SIDRA ( Chicken in Cider ) ... lovely and light ...

It is very light and refreshing ... Though, I am a Prosecco and Cava woman !

Old 03-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #13
Head Chef

I don't drink beer but I do LOVE cider. I like a nice pear cider. I also like the odd strong dry cider (Blackthorne), not the nasty shouting at the seagulls stuff.

Prosecco though for me too. In Costco they do a nice Martini Prosecco, shall get a box of that but Marks and Spencers also do their own fab Prosecco.

I may have a cheeky Bolly too.

For wine I love Chilean and Argentinian wines.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:42 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Good Morning, Gravy Queen,

Thanks for feedback ... Pear nectar cider sounds quite interesting... What is the D.O. Appellation on this ?? UK or France ... ?

I do like Williams Pear Licor ! It is lovely in Pears cooked in Red wine or white wine with the Williams Pear Licor !

Martini is a well know brand for Vermut too ... I am very familiar with it.

I also like Argentinian 100% Malbec reds very much ... I have quite a few bottles and have always loved full bodied oak aged velvety Argentinian reds wines ... Great with steak !

Chilean whites: I had a Sauvignon Blanc at a Mexican restaurant fairly recently, that was lovely with spicy piquant Mexican.

However, personally, I prefer Prosecco, Cava, Spumantes from Valle di Asti or: Spanish or Portuguese Albariņos / Albarinhos ...

Have a lovely holiday and thanks for contributing to this thread.

( I am not a beer woman ... I am a Prosecco woman ).

Happy Holidays.
Margaux Cintrano.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #15
Head Chef

I doubt if you can get them across the pond, but the beers from Ommegang in Cooperstown, NY are my favorites. Made in the Belgian style with an American twist.

The US has come a long way with beers since the prediction of a two company beer production in the 70's. Every city has its own breweries, some truly world class, some not so good.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Cold Duck, always a winner at the table!

Moscato d'Asti is nice.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #17
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
@ Steve,

Apple wine: do you mean Sparkling Sidra which is Apple Cider with a 5% - 25% alcohol content and is from Asturias, Spain ? I like it in summer and to cook with, POLLO A LA SIDRA ( Chicken in Cider ) ... lovely and light ...
No, it's apple wine that I make myself. We have an orchard not far from here. I buy several gallons of their apple juice, freeze it, and then partially thaw it, discarding any remaining ice. This has the effect of concentrating the sugar to grape-like levels of around 18-20%. It also concentrates the flavor and acidity. This is then fermented, producing a still wine with about 10% alcohol. A small portion of the original juice is then added back to provide a little residual sugar. Some people do a second fermentation in the bottle to make it sparkling. I prefer the still version.

It's a pleasant aperitif that's reminiscent of biting into a fresh apple.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:30 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Good Morning Steve,

Awesome ... In Asturias, Spain, ( northwest on Canatabrian Sea ), there are two types of Sidra ( cider ); a still and a sparkling ... The traditional method is Still ... Sparkling is exported and can be found throughout the USA. One of the main traditional producers is El Gaitero which denotes, The Bagpipe Player ( as itsī Logo on bottle ). It is very reasonably priced as well. In Euros, it runs between 1 and 3 Euros depending on the quality. However, now they are also producing a " Cava type " which is a bit more. It is quite popular here for appetisers and tapas. As previously mentioned, it is lovely with fish or chicken baked in oven ... If you like, I shall post a recipe in the chicken section or fish section ...

I am on Tablet ( not home computer ) and just arrived in Italia, so tomorrow I shall post for u ... Can also work with pork too ... as in Normandy, apple brandy, apple cider and apples are paired with pork ... Very common dish.

Have lovely day. Thanks for all your info. I am a wine Buff, so I enjoy your wine posts very much.

Letīs talk, Italian Red Wines ... besides Prosecco ...
Ciao.
Margi.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:31 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Thanks for the Beer Update and do please recommend some fine USA and / or Beers, Lagers etcetra from around the world, for Easter lunches, Roast Lamb, Roast Bone In Ham etc.

Margi.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Good Morning,

What is your take on Italian wines ? Have 3 better than good aged Reds from the Abruzzi D.O.C. Italia ... to go with a roast milk fed baby lamb marinated in Evoo and a variety of herbs ...

Happy Easter.
Margi.

Tags
wine