Easter Wine Selection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
On the coast of the spectacular Adriatic, at our typical architectural rural seaside Condo ... we are planning an Easter - Spring Break with our youngest European based daughter Nathalia and the twin boys, Filippo and Christophe and the baby Anthony Luca ...

Thus, it shall be Italian selections.

Nathalia and I enjoy Prosecco sparkling whites for their aromatic fruitiness, lightness and summery feel. Prosecco pairs well with numerous assorted dishes too ... and is a wonderfully refreshing aperitif.

In reds, we like wines from Piemonte and Lombardia ... for example, Barolo. Additionally, a fine Tuscan variety and of course 100% Sangiovese is always wonderful with roast lamb ...

Would love to hear from all of you ... on the topic ...

Thanks, Grazie,
Margi.

I tend to pair dinner wines around the meat being served. Easter at our house means Roast Leg of Lamb and Ham for the non-lamb eaters. I like Pinot Noir with either. I have a 2007 Carneros Pinot that I made and will be perfect for the occasion. And for those who prefer white wine (because it takes all kinds to make up the world), I'll have either a lightly oaked Chardonnay or Chenin Blanc available.

We usually have sparkling wine with the appetizers, but this year I've decided to throw in a curve ball and serve an apple wine instead. It's crisp and light, and DW and I have found it to be a nice match for cheeses, fruit, and the like. I may also have Prosecco or Cava chilled and ready as well.

Oenologist, winemaker and sommelier ?

Good Evening Steve,

Please clarify, what do u mean by " I made a Pinot Noir " ... Sounds wonderful ... oak barrels too ?

Yes, since we are both having roast lamb, reds do marry more lovingly with such a rich meat ... I like reds that oak aged crianzas with lamb ... to meet the richness ... for example: 100% Sangiovese or Barollo, however, 100% Tempranillo or Merlot or Syrah too can be quite nice ...

Margi. Grazie.

Please clarify, what do u mean by " I made a Pinot Noir " ... Sounds wonderful ... oak barrels too ?
I make wine, primarily from California grapes I have shipped to Minnesota. The process is not nearly as difficult or mysterious as some commercial winemakers would have you believe. For my part, it only involves patience, cleanliness, and knowing when to intervene if something goes wrong - which doesn't happen very often. The grapes know what to do.

And yes, oak barrels, too (3 French and 1 American).

img_1121519_0_83072d2c494ed3eaf0276a30433fedd6.jpg

Wassail! Where's the Ale! :yum: Some celebrate the Spring Equinox.

Steve: Wow ... Awesome ...

Firstly, thank you for sharing your wine knowledge ...

As you are aware the Mediterranean is a sea of wine and we house a tremendous quantity of grape varieties. Spain alone has 71 desgination of origins ...

For Easter Lamb: I tend to go with a well rounded full bodied red, due to the richness and fullness of the roast ...

I have had some lovely Pinot Noir, in Californina, Provence as well as Sparkling varieties common to Spain ...

Is the crianza ( aged 36 mos. ) full bodied enough for roast lamb ?

How many bottles of wine, can your oak barrels make ?

Grazie, Ciao.
Margi.

@ Craig,

Please do not frown ... We can start another Thread, and you lead it up ... Unfortunately, my ale / beer knowledge is very limited ...

I can make a couple of suggestions on this side of the globe, however, as a tourist in the USA, you would certainly do the honors alot more proficiently than I would ...

So, go for it, and I shall do the research as a contributor on some UK Ales ...

Sound good ?

Thanks for understanding and your post.
Margi.

As you are aware the Mediterranean is a sea of wine and we house a tremendous quantity of grape varieties. Spain alone has 71 desgination of origins ...

For Easter Lamb: I tend to go with a well rounded full bodied red, due to the richness and fullness of the roast ...

I have had some lovely Pinot Noir, in Californina, Provence as well as Sparkling varieties common to Spain ...

Is the crianza ( aged 36 mos. ) full bodied enough for roast lamb ?

How many bottles of wine, can your oak barrels make ?

Grazie, Ciao.
Margi.
Margi, I apologize for not replying to your post. I don't always check back on older posts, so I missed it!

I don't age all of my wine in barrels. Only the best ones, and those I age for up to 18 months. Others age in glass containers, some with oak, some not. I rarely oak white wines, though I'll make an exception for good Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc, or Viognier. In the US, we are allowed to make 200 gallons (a little over 750 liters) a year. I make about half that - 100 gallons, or 500 bottles per year.

California has a large variety of grapes. Almost anything that grows in Europe will also grow there because it spans many latitudes and microclimates. I have a choice of about 30 varieties I am able to have shipped to me.

I think that any red with good acidity will pair well with lamb. A lot of people like Côtes du Rhône, Rioja, or northern Italian reds with lamb. I like Pinot Noir because I think it has good acidity and a certain "barnyard" quality that goes well with lamb.

@ Steve,

Thanks for replying. I have studied to be a sommelier and took the Government of La Rioja Full Wine Course a few years ago ( in case I ever wanted to live in North or South America.)

They offer it in Spanish, English and French.
I have also taken several Wine Tasting courses at wineries in different Designation of Origins ... Fascinating subject ...

I see that the wine and ale, lager and stout sections on the forum are quite light of material and followers.

Well, have a wonderful Easter Holiday.
Margi and thanks again for sharing.

Wassail! Where's the Ale! :yum: Some celebrate the Spring Equinox.
C mate. The bonfire is built, my Peka is polished and as with every year my wife will dress as Eostre the goddess of fertility(weather permitting) this year I am cooking pork shoulder with my peka.
The bottled ale's we will be quaffing are Magnolia old Thunderpussy and Knocker Up.:yum:

@ Steve,

Apple wine: do you mean Sparkling Sidra which is Apple Cider with a 5% - 25% alcohol content and is from Asturias, Spain ? I like it in summer and to cook with, POLLO A LA SIDRA ( Chicken in Cider ) ... lovely and light ...

It is very light and refreshing ... Though, I am a Prosecco and Cava woman !

I don't drink beer but I do LOVE cider. I like a nice pear cider. I also like the odd strong dry cider (Blackthorne), not the nasty shouting at the seagulls stuff.

Prosecco though for me too. In Costco they do a nice Martini Prosecco, shall get a box of that but Marks and Spencers also do their own fab Prosecco.

I may have a cheeky Bolly too.

For wine I love Chilean and Argentinian wines.

Good Morning, Gravy Queen,

Thanks for feedback ... Pear nectar cider sounds quite interesting... What is the D.O. Appellation on this ?? UK or France ... ?

I do like Williams Pear Licor ! It is lovely in Pears cooked in Red wine or white wine with the Williams Pear Licor !

Martini is a well know brand for Vermut too ... I am very familiar with it.

I also like Argentinian 100% Malbec reds very much ... I have quite a few bottles and have always loved full bodied oak aged velvety Argentinian reds wines ... Great with steak !

Chilean whites: I had a Sauvignon Blanc at a Mexican restaurant fairly recently, that was lovely with spicy piquant Mexican.

However, personally, I prefer Prosecco, Cava, Spumantes from Valle di Asti or: Spanish or Portuguese Albariños / Albarinhos ...

Have a lovely holiday and thanks for contributing to this thread.

( I am not a beer woman ... I am a Prosecco woman ).

Happy Holidays.
Margaux Cintrano.

I doubt if you can get them across the pond, but the beers from Ommegang in Cooperstown, NY are my favorites. Made in the Belgian style with an American twist.

The US has come a long way with beers since the prediction of a two company beer production in the 70's. Every city has its own breweries, some truly world class, some not so good.

Cold Duck, always a winner at the table!:ROFLMAO:

Moscato d'Asti is nice.

@ Steve,

Apple wine: do you mean Sparkling Sidra which is Apple Cider with a 5% - 25% alcohol content and is from Asturias, Spain ? I like it in summer and to cook with, POLLO A LA SIDRA ( Chicken in Cider ) ... lovely and light ...
No, it's apple wine that I make myself. We have an orchard not far from here. I buy several gallons of their apple juice, freeze it, and then partially thaw it, discarding any remaining ice. This has the effect of concentrating the sugar to grape-like levels of around 18-20%. It also concentrates the flavor and acidity. This is then fermented, producing a still wine with about 10% alcohol. A small portion of the original juice is then added back to provide a little residual sugar. Some people do a second fermentation in the bottle to make it sparkling. I prefer the still version.

It's a pleasant aperitif that's reminiscent of biting into a fresh apple.

Good Morning Steve,

Awesome ... In Asturias, Spain, ( northwest on Canatabrian Sea ), there are two types of Sidra ( cider ); a still and a sparkling ... The traditional method is Still ... Sparkling is exported and can be found throughout the USA. One of the main traditional producers is El Gaitero which denotes, The Bagpipe Player ( as its´ Logo on bottle ). It is very reasonably priced as well. In Euros, it runs between 1 and 3 Euros depending on the quality. However, now they are also producing a " Cava type " which is a bit more. It is quite popular here for appetisers and tapas. As previously mentioned, it is lovely with fish or chicken baked in oven ... If you like, I shall post a recipe in the chicken section or fish section ...

I am on Tablet ( not home computer ) and just arrived in Italia, so tomorrow I shall post for u ... Can also work with pork too ... as in Normandy, apple brandy, apple cider and apples are paired with pork ... Very common dish.

Have lovely day. Thanks for all your info. I am a wine Buff, so I enjoy your wine posts very much.

Let´s talk, Italian Red Wines ... besides Prosecco ...
Ciao.
Margi.

Thanks for the Beer Update and do please recommend some fine USA and / or Beers, Lagers etcetra from around the world, for Easter lunches, Roast Lamb, Roast Bone In Ham etc.

Margi.

Good Morning,

What is your take on Italian wines ? Have 3 better than good aged Reds from the Abruzzi D.O.C. Italia ... to go with a roast milk fed baby lamb marinated in Evoo and a variety of herbs ...

Happy Easter.
Margi.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom