Favorite Obscure Varietals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of mine is Assyrtiko, Sigalas Stainless Steel from Santorini to be specific. It is a very aromatic perfum filled wine with well rounded acid profiles, a clean crisp mouth-feel, and a medium finish that kind of dances around on your palate.

If I were to pick a red, I might go with Dolcetto. Cabernet Franc is hardly obscure, but does anyone else think it is under-rated?

The Aglianico (italian word for "Helenic") grape apparently originated in Greece and made its way to Basilicata and Campania, both southern regions in Italy. Although I am planning on buying another bottle, what I do recall was that it was a big wine, drinks like a Zinfandel. It has been described as "the Barolo of the South". I got it at Trader Joe's - I believe it was a 2006 and around $7.00. I have another bottle that I havent opened from Epicuro as well... it is a 2004 Riserva Salice Salentino made with a blend of 80% Negroamaro and 20% Malvasia Nera - never heard of those grapes. Hope I like it!

I was reading a little about the Aglianico grape and it is being grown increasingly here in the states:

Appellations producing the most Aglianico wines:
Sierra Foothills (AVA)
St. Helena ~ Napa Valley (AVA)
Amador County (County Appellation)
Virginia (State Appellation)
Paso Robles (AVA)

hmmm.... interesting... I thought they were only found in Italy.

Back
Top Bottom