Favorite wines?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re:

I'm not much of a wine snob, but I have a couple I will purchase consistently.

The white Mozelle wine from Germany. Usually a Katz n Zeller where you see the black cat on the keg.

The red wine of choice is a domestic. Taylor Lake Country Red.

I also make some wine and beer. For a utility wine I drink a few oz of at bed time
I make a red wine out of a couple containers of frozen Concord juice and about 3 1/2 cup of sugar. I use Montrachet yeast and when it is finished and I strain it I may add a little food grade glycerine to it to soften it. My Grandmother made this using balloons over the neck of the gallon glass jug. I still remember her wiener dog
barking constantly at that balloon till Grandmother would get after her with a broom.

Oh oh oh I've found the perfect topic :)

I took note of the wines you'v named, can I find them at trader's joe ?

I had already tried the Kendall Jackson's reserve and we really liked it
As a french who has a country house among burgandy wineries, I really love wines and I was thrilled that many californian wines are really good ! Actually white wines mostly, I haven't found a red one that I really liked yet

So beside Kendall Jackson (already named quoted), I've also discovered a light Vinho verde for portugal, which is pretty good with light meals or salad...

So we are going to try some you've named, thanks :)

I seldom drink wine ( I prefer bourbon) but I do like a locally produced wine. It is made by Duplin Winery right here in N.C. It is called simply "Scuppernong." It tastes like you just bit into a fresh ripe scuppernong grape. Kinda sweet and tart at the same time, just like a grape. I use it to cook with and from time to time I will enjoy a glass.

Last edited:
...As a french who has a country house among burgandy wineries, I really love wines and I was thrilled that many californian wines are really good ! Actually white wines mostly, I haven't found a red one that I really liked yet
If you are longing for red wines similar to what you have in Burgundy, you might want to try Oregon Pinot Noir. I find the style of wine to be very similar. In fact, the Joseph Droughin family of Burgundy has a winery in Oregon.

And just like Burgundy, there are wines to suit all tastes and budgets.

I have no favorite wines--I am not much of a wine drinker, but I have found that the Chilean wines can be very nice. I like dry whites. Red wine puts me to sleep. I don't like Shiraz-Merlot blends. My housemate when I went to university in Quebec City was from Rouen, France. She was very good at selecting good wines. She knew all the vineyards where the "good wines" were produced, and then knew vineyards that were in the same area but not as well-known. She would buy those (they were less expensive and we were both university students--I was doing an extra year to improve my French, she was in her first year of her M.A.). She liked Hungarian reds as I recall.

Love crisp dry whites. Drinking a local Washington State Pinot Gris right now. Also appreciate BC, Australian, and Chilean wine. I like dry reds, but drink them less often because they don't like me as much (headaches, heartburn)
We also make our own wine (and beer). So they are our "house" wines and beers.

I can't really afford to be all that picky with wine. To tell the truth, I just want it to taste good.

Our current go-to wine is Mommessin's Cuvée St. Pierre, both the red and the white one. They are dry, not too tannic or acidic, and can be bought in 4L box.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom