Favorite wines?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danbuter

Senior Cook
I really like Chateau Ste Michelle gewurtztraminer. It's a great white wine. (In all honesty, it's one of the few wines I can drink. Most wines have a horrible aftertaste, so I avoid them, especially reds).

I drink a local wine from St. James Winery in Missouri. I like all of their wines, but my favorite is their Velvet Red, a fruity, slightly sweet table wine.

I'm a sucker for good German reds - I used to live in Germany and was spoiled for good-quality, affordable choice there. My favourite grape varieties there are Spätburgunder and Dornfelder. There are loads and loads of smaller producers there too and I often found some gems whenever I passed through different regions.

I'm a sucker for good German reds - I used to live in Germany and was spoiled for good-quality, affordable choice there. My favourite grape varieties there are Spätburgunder and Dornfelder. There are loads and loads of smaller producers there too and I often found some gems whenever I passed through different regions.
I also but they're as scarce as hen's teeth in the states. I enjoy the Lemberger vaiety but in the states my pocket book and availability pretty much limits me to Duboeuf's wines.

Sangue di Guido... a sweet red, slightly effervescent, goes down very nicely.

Do you mean Sangue di Giuda (Juda's blood)? It's a sweet red wine we produce here in Oltrepò Pavese. :smartass:

My favorite red wine is Barbera from Piemonte. For the rosè, Chiaretto from the lake of Garda. Among the white wines, Prosecco from Valdobbiadene and Riesling from Piemonte. And the only red, sweet wine I like is the Freisa, from Piemonte.

I avoid red wine because it all gives me a wicked headache...even the most expensive. I use it in cooking though. I like most dry white wine and have at least a glass of it every night while getting dinner together.

It would depend on what I am eating. For Italian food, I prefer a Sangiovese or one of it's derivatives such as Chianti or Brunello, for fish I really like a high altitude Argentine Torrontes, for beef I prefer an Argentine Malbec, and for chicken I will usually lean towards pinot grigio. Turkey calls for a Riesling or Viognier and spicy food usually means a good Zinfandel. For summer sipping, I prefer a strong Rosé or maybe some Sangria.

Last edited:
I don't care for the dry wines... I love the sweet ones..not syrupy sweet though.

There is an Italian Asti that was recommended to me that is soooo good. I can never remember the name. I think it's classified as a sparkling wine.

My husband works nights at a package store so I get to try out different wines all the time.

A few of my favorites:
Monkey Bay Sauvignon Blanc
J. Lohr Chardonnay Riverstone
Raymond Vineyard and Cellar Merlot Reserve - Napa (Not Raymond Vineyard R Collection Merlot)
Kendall Jackson Pinot Noir Vintner's Reserve

It really depends on what I am eating. I try and pair my wine with my food to the best of my limited knowledge.

If I am just sipping wine I can enjoy just about anything but I really enjoy a Zinfandel Port.

merstar said:
A few of my favorites:
Monkey Bay Sauvignon Blanc
J. Lohr Chardonnay Riverstone
Raymond Vineyard and Cellar Merlot Reserve - Napa (Not Raymond Vineyard R Collection Merlot)
Kendall Jackson Pinot Noir Vintner's Reserve

Love all these too. Pinot Grigio or Pinot Gris are nice summer wines. I like Bella Serra. I usually like my wines dry, though a while back, a wine club I used to belong to sent two of the most lush bottles of Italian Lambrusco, not the sweet stuff we drank in college, but the bubbliest, tastiest, richest stuff I've evah had. I have tried to find it since, and sadly couldn't. I have lost the name.

Last edited:
I am not allowed to drink in the UK, I do cheat on occasion.
My father in law in Croatia sells most of his grapes to the co-op. The rest he use to make a traditional clean wine. The red is very much like a Barollo.
The wine I liked the best was a Margeux..

I've been making my own wine for the last 10 years. All of my bottles are kind of like my children... some are good, some are not so good, but when asked, they're all my favorites. ;)

Emm...for me I would prefer a nice crisp Sauvignon Blanc from St. Clare 2009 vintage from the region of Marlborough, New Zealand..its so refreshing with floral bouquet and passion fruit driven..just delicious.

So many wines...so little time....

I mean, tens of thousands of labels, vintners, vintages, varietals and blends.

I could write a tome on this. But I won't.

To me, so much depends on what food it is paired with.

I tend to like traditional Euro styles that aren't so fruit-forward, (the fruit forward style is what much of the world leans toward, even the European wine producers are adopting this style because it sells better).

But then again, certain foods work well with fruit-forward. Thai with a Kiwi Sauvignon, Middle east grilled meat with an in your face Aussie Shiraz.

On the other hand, raw oysters with a bone dry Sancerre is perfect.

For just sipping, I like dryer, crisper (for whites), less tannic (for reds).

Again, what are you eating with it?

All that said, two recent (last two weeks) really nice discoveries:

Elk Cove Pinot Gris (2009). Willamette Valley. A more Euro style white, not typical of an Oregon pinot, perfect with fish, chicken. - $18.

Colosi Rosso (2009) A Sicilian dry red, no grape specified, real strawberry, raspberry character with black pepper overtones. A little more in your face than traditional subtle Euro wines. Was really nice with Turkish lamb kebops. An amazing $10.

So many wines...so little time....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom