Greek Wines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
:yum: Buongiorno,

Has anyone tasted Greek wines to date ?

What is your viewpoint on the White Assyrtico Grape Mono Variety coming from Santorini ?

;) Almost all of the Greek islands produce wines as well as the mainlands.

Some produce reds such as Corfu, Cephalonia, Crete, Rhodes and Santorini in particular. Santorini has been making some very lovely whites as well, from the Assyrtico grape. Santorini also produces a semi sweet wine called Visanto.

The Pelopponese ( the southern region of Nafplion ) provides over 25% of Greece´s wines which are hearty full bodied reds. They pair perfectly with Moussaka and hail from the Agiorgitiko grape also called the Saint George Grape variety. One of the most famous wineries in this region is Achaia Clauss.

Located about an hour from Athens is the Kourtakis Winery, a large exporter of white wines and Retsina.

Greece´s best wines come from the Thessalonika area where the noble red grape, the Xynomavro is produced. Similar to a Chianti made of 100% Sangiovese Grapes, the Boutari Winery produces some wonderful reds.

Have lovely Sunday,
Ciao,
Margi

Last edited:
I've been to Corfu and Cyprus Margi and am not a fan of greek wines. Retsina in particular springs to mind. I once ordered wine in a gorgeous little taverna, and they brought me a pint of what I can only describe as sherry. A whole pint glass of some vile stuff! Same with lots of portuguese wine, I couldnt find a decent one on holiday there either.

I'm a bit traumatised by greek wine...

Gravy Queen,

Santorini White Grape Assyrtico is quite similar in aromas and tasting notes to the Galician White Albariño Grape as well as the Portuguese Whites ...

I had some lovely tastings at the Greek Embassy in Madrid Capital as well as in Greece ...

I am sorry to hear that you had some bad luck or a poor harvest qualification year ...

When was that ?

Have a lovely Sunday,
Ciao.
Margi.

Yonks ago now Margi, I'm talking at least 15 years ago. Mind you I have also eaten out here in greek restaurants and I still dont like the wine :)

*** Buonasera Gravy Queen,

I understand completely. Wine & Food are very individualistic. I too, have some profound dislikes when it comes to several aromas, some foods, plonk wine and anything in a can or tin ...

None the less, have a lovely evening.

Ciao, Kind regards.
Margi.

*** Buonasera Bill:

Thank you for your feedback.

Ciao, Have nice evening.
Margi.

However Margi, I meant to add, I would not write it off and would be willing to try greek wine again with the guidance you have given. Cheers!

I don't drink wine any more, Mrs BDF loves her plonk, in Greece we both drink Mythos with everything.
img_1146157_0_fc54f2175290ca0276e9e7fe047f45f9.jpg

Bill,

Have you been to Greek Town - Long Island City Area or Manhattan Greek Restaurants ?

Greece, like Italia, or France or Spain, is a wonderful region for exploring regional epicurism and wines ...

Have nice Wednesday.
Ciao, Margi.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom