"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 02-11-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
Head Chef

help choosing wine

ok don't know too much about wines. Making a Chateaubriand dinner for valentines day. Would like a special wine. Nice smooth taste. hate drinking wine where you pucker your lips and squint your eyes after taking a taste "lol". Live in NH so I'd have to call the liquor stores to see if they have it or not. I was (after reading about it on the internet) looking at a maculen moscato that they sell for like $20 in the Nashua liquor store only. But than I found out it was sweet and it was a desert wine. Not sure if that is what I'm looking for or not. doesnt' sound it as I wanted it for dinner.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
Senior Cook

A Moscato is a dessert wine and would ruin your steak experience. By saying "pucker lips" I am assuming you are not into heavier-bodied tannic wines which are what are usually recommended with steak. taking that you are not that much into wines, I would like to ease you into the experience. I absolutely recommend you couple your steak with a red... and because you have an aversion to bigger reds, I would suggest you try a Beaujolais, Beaujolais Nouveau or Beaujolais-Villages from France... look for Georges Duboeuf or Louis Jadot. Otherwise, you can try a Pinot Noir from Oregon or California. Both these wines are lighter and somewhat fruitier, making them very quaffable for newbies. You can even chill them a tad bit to around 55 F before serving. Enjoy!

Old 02-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Unless you get a Moulin a Vent or Julienas, Beaujolais is not the way to go with Chateaubriand, imho. You're on the right track, tho, with Pinot Noir. Even Bourgogne Rouge from France (which shouldn't cost more than about $15 - $20) would be fine. A Pinot Noir from Oregon's Willamette Valley, or a Merlot from Washington State (NOT California) would be wonderful, but might cost more than you want to spend. (You didn't mention a wine budget) OTOH, since you're springing the big bucks for the steak, perhaps you don't mind spending at least $30 for the wine?

Another great wine with your beef would be a St. Julien from Bordeaux.

I can still remember one of the most special evenings ever where we enjoyed Chateaubriand with a vintage Champagne. Extreme opposites, but a fabulous pairing. I do know that Champagne cost more than $100, tho.....
Old 02-11-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
Head Chef

You should serve a nice mellow red wine with that steak. Ask the liquor store if they carry any Malbec (it's a type of wine grape) from Argentina. Many excellent bottles available for under $20. If they have a Vina Cobos "El Felino" Malbec, grab it.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm no wine expert, but I think tmy favorite new one might go well with your Chateaubriand. It's called 7 Deadly Zins - seven old vine zinfandels blended together. from Lodi, California. Has a nice "spicy" taste.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #6
Master Chef

I agree with Scotch about something mellow. Although merlots and chardonnays have almost become cliches, I think merlots are often a good choice when someone isn't all that experienced with reds and is looking for a wine with body, but that's soft and isn't a mouthful of cherries or chocolate.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
You should serve a nice mellow red wine with that steak. Ask the liquor store if they carry any Malbec (it's a type of wine grape) from Argentina. Many excellent bottles available for under $20. If they have a Vina Cobos "El Felino" Malbec, grab it.
Thanks for suggestions All. I appreciate it. I think I might concentrate on getting one of the Malbecs. I did ask for the Vina Cobos when I called the Liquor Store - but they said no. However, they said they had different Malbecs to choose from. So I guess I"ll just go down there and choose.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:04 PM   #8
Head Chef

My first choice with a chateaubriand would be a French Bourgogne pinot noir. You can find a really good one stateside for $20-ish.

Although a new world cabernet or zinfandel would work well, they are more "in your face" than European wines. Old world wines tend to be less spectacular when just sipping and standing on their own, but I think they pair marvelously with food.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't like red wines at all, so I drink what I like, no matter what the protein is And I like pink wine, so that's usually what I drink.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I don't like red wines at all, so I drink what I like, no matter what the protein is And I like pink wine, so that's usually what I drink.
I think we all do that, GG -- drink what we like!

and as for pink wine, well, there's not probably a more romantic choice for a Valentine beverage than Brut Rose Champagne!!! and in many places it's possible to get the very delicious Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Rose Champagne for under $40 a bottle. I recommend that for sure!