"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 10-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
To much, that was my problem. The only alcohol I drink in the UK is the odd glass of cider.
Cider is good!

Old 10-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #12
Head Chef

These days, I am way more likely to cook with booze than drink it. A couple of beers or a couple of glasses of wine are usually enough for me. If I am with lots of friends and hanging out for hours, one every hour or two is ok.

Hangovers are usually accompanied by migraines, and I don't ever voluntarily sign up for a migraine any more.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #13
Head Chef

For the most only a couple of glasses. I have drank more when I'm with friends but it tends to give me a headache the next day, lol.

My husband's cousin makes a grape wine soooo good that I could drink a whole bottle in one sitting and it doesn't give me a headache.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I have a pretty high tolerance, a genetic fault, I'm afraid to say. I've had to give up hard booze almost entirely because I can go from tipsy to falling-down drunk in seconds. I wish I liked beer. I settle for the in between of wine.
I'm exactly the same way, Claire! I have a weird tolerance for alcohol that makes me able to drink way more than most people can, and still have control of myself. I've had friends say things like "What are you doing, throwing your drinks in the potted plants? You're not even tipsy!

But when I reach my limit, it makes me lay down and pass out. Like Andy, that was done when I was much younger than now.

I mostly drink wine now. An entire bottle consumed between 4pm and 2am isn't unusual. That's with supper in the middle of it.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #15
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Quantity was a lot more important when I was a lot younger.
Exactly.

My wife and I drink wine most every night when we're home but our goal is not to see how much we can "put away", but rather to enjoy the wine. We usually have a glass a night after dinner. On weekends we might have two.

For the original poster, if you are drinking 18-20 glasses of wine (almost a gallon) in a single sitting, you might have a problem. And if you don't have a problem, your liver just might.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
For the original poster, if you are drinking 18-20 glasses of wine (almost a gallon) in a single sitting, you might have a problem.
The largest problem I see is the wasted energy doing all that back-and-forth refilling!

The OP needs a larger glass!
Old 10-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #17
Head Chef

My problem is that I don't get drunk. I get very sick long before I get drunk, and it is not a pleasant experience. I generally drink a couple of glasses or drinks with or after meals, and that is not every day.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #18
Head Chef

I had some surgery a while back that causes some alcohol concerns. If I drink that tiny little cup of communion wine I get tipsy for about 10 minutes!
Old 10-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Exactly.
For the original poster, if you are drinking 18-20 glasses of wine (almost a gallon) in a single sitting, you might have a problem. And if you don't have a problem, your liver just might.
Isn't the OP the same one that posted 'blackouts are fun" in another thread? Most of us have outgrown that phase of our lives, and now enjoy an adult beverage without having to prove anything.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #20
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
The OP needs a larger glass!
Maybe something like this?