Italian wine bottle designs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone remember these? If I recall correctly, the bottles were labeled "pescevino" ("fish wine" in English) and contained a nondescript, but drinkable verdicchio. :)

I don't know if they still make it or not.

7-SAV138-backinstyle-400x600.jpg

I've seen it at our local Total Wine store. A neighbor has an annual Porch Party - I've taken that to contribute to the iced tub of wine because it's so fun-looking :)

I can remember (gives my age away now) long, long ago, when nearly every Italian trattoria in the U.K. had red checked tablecloths and fiascos with candles, it seemed oh so romantic at the time. I had a couple at home and loved the cascades of different coloured candlewax, got most annoyed with someone when they broke it off.

I can remember (gives my age away now) long, long ago, when nearly every Italian trattoria in the U.K. had red checked tablecloths and fiascos with candles, it seemed oh so romantic at the time. I had a couple at home and loved the cascades of different coloured candlewax, got most annoyed with someone when they broke it off.

40791-albums376-picture4977.jpg

:LOL:

I need to add a couple of bottles to the list, my fault.

Bottiglione – Big size glass bottle (the name is an augmentative of bottiglia), with capacities ranging from 2/3 liters to 20/25 liters.
Dama – Big glass bottle, starting from 5 liter capacity.

Need to get back home to my Mac fot the pictures. I'll post them in a few days.

I have some Roman VI Century Museum of La Rioja Photos of the glass vessels which the Romans used in La Rioja, which is along the Santiago de Compostela, Galicia, Saint Santiago = Saint James Pilgrimage Route. I shall email my Press Contact who is one of the Owners and Wine Instructors, for Permission to Print a couple of stock press Photos. They are quite a bit different, as there has been such an evolution in glass and stemware ...

Have lovely August.
Margi.

Beautiful!

Hope you like the wine inside, too :LOL:

I used to drink it all the time, but my usual wine merchant doesn't carry it any more.

Luna Di Luna has a different colour bottle for each of it's wines, and a different shape for the bubbly ones.

lunadiluna.jpg

Last edited:
I used to drink it all the time, but my usual wine merchant doesn't carry it any more.

That's a shame!

Luna Di Luna has a different colour bottle for each of it's wines, and a different shape for the bubbly ones.

lunadiluna.jpg

They are beautiful! Gonna check that website, thanks. I must say that I could never buy a wine in an "orange soda" bottle! :ohmy:

Updated image

Hi friends,
here is the second version of the Italian wine bottle designs. As I said in a previous post, I'm adding these two items to the original image:

Bottiglione – Big size glass bottle (the name is an augmentative of bottiglia), with capacities ranging from 2/3 liters to 20/25 liters.
Dama – Big glass bottle, starting from 5 liter capacity.

You can find all the other definitions in the first post of this thread.

40791-albums374-picture5524.jpg

I’m not a wine connoisseur, I just love wine, and I like tasting a god bottle once in a while: next in line, Valle dei Laghi Merlot, Castelfederer Müller Thurgau, Mons Feretris Bianchello del Metauro :yum:
I made some research for my own education and I decided to share them in this post, to illustrate the different bottles used for Italian wines. Bottles vary in color and thickness, and obviously in shape, but generally not in capacity, since wine in Italy is generally sold in 75 cl glass bottles, corresponding to 6 calici (a type of glass).
And since I like fiddling with Photoshop, I created an image, which shows you the different bottles listed in the following paragraphs (with one exception).

40791-albums374-picture4975.jpg

Wine bottle designs

Fiasco – Ancient rounded bottle with the bottom half covered by a straw basket. Traditionally used for Tuscany wines, once was very diffused but today is rare due to high costs of production.

If you spot any mistake, please tell me! I'm here to learn, friends.

That’s all, alla salute!
How odd that I should spot this post when only yesterday we were discussing that straw covered bottle called the "fiasco". Chianti in these was very popular in the 1960s in Britain. It was probably the only Italian wine that Brits then knew well enough to trust themselves to order in Italian restaurants, all of which had candles in chianti bottles on the tables. There was also a fashion in home décor for chianti bottles converted into table lamps in the homes of those who wanted to appear sophisticated. (Sorry, that was bitchy).

The only problem was that not all chianti back then was of a quality you'd want to drink and the cheap end of the range could really result in a "fiasco" of another sort as it could not only make the drinkers very drunk but very sick as well.

I haven't seen a straw covered bottle of chianti for sale for many years in England. It became a bit of a no-no when wine journalists and, well, let's be honest here, wine snobs started to sneer at it. I do, however, like a good Chianti Classico in an ordinary bottle when I can find it in Sainsbury's

Last edited:
interesting luca,the champagne cuvee is the same shape that aspalls cyder uses,the pulcianella is the same shape that mateus rosé comes in & in english fiasco means disaster!!
didn't realise there were so many shapes.guess that's the trouble with supermarkets,everything apart from the bubbly & mateus comes in the same shape bottle.cheers matey,interesting stuff:)
I know that this is an old thread but it's been a nostalgia trip for me. Mateus Rose - gosh - pink and slightly fizzy and s-o-o sophisticated :LOL: - what we drank when we were students trying to impress the waiter when we went out to restaurants for the Hall of Residence "does". We also wanted to impress our Hall Warden with our grown-up-ness and knowledge of wines. My god, what were we thinking! This was in North Wales in 1969!!!

Back
Top Bottom