"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 03-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Question Lead-free crystal

I'm looking at getting some better wine glasses. I had my eye on this glass, but the "24% lead crystal" caught my eye.

It seems to me that regularly consuming an acidic beverage from lead crystal would be a bad idea.

Can anyone recommend good alternative?

Old 03-08-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Look here.

Wine Glasses: Crystal Stemware, Stemless Wine Glasses and Specialty Wine and Spirits Glasses - Wine Enthusiast

Old 03-09-2010, 06:36 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Buy silver crystal
Old 03-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
Head Chef

The question of 24% lead crystal bleeding seems to be a valid one. Several sources indicate a possibility of poisoning, and California, for one requires notification in ads.
For this reason, I use Reidel Wine series glasses. 100% lead free, and high quality glassware. It also is more durable and less expensive
Old 03-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
Master Chef

Really, how interesting, I have never heard of good quality crystal bled led, wow, intresting.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
Master Chef

This is what a quick search reviled:

"
Safe Use of Lead Crystal

<LI id=jsArticleStep1 itxtvisited="1">To reduce health risks, soak new lead crystal in vinegar for at least 24 hours prior to use. Hand-wash each piece using a mild detergent and then rinse thoroughly. Lead crystal can safely be used to serve most food and drinks during a meal, because no liquid will remain in the serving dish or container long enough for leaching to occur in an amount that exceeds the Environmental Protection Agency's standards. However, do not store port, cognac or other alcoholic beverages in lead crystal storage containers. Use lead crystal decanters only for serving. Fill decanters with alcoholic beverages prior to serving, and then pour the remaining contents into a lead-free storage container, such as the original bottle in which it was purchased. Lead crystal jam pots can be used safely in the same manner. Avoid serving children and pregnant women with lead crystal, as they are at an increased risk for the dangers of lead exposure. "

Now, what I want to understand. If the led comes out of the glass wouldn't that glass eventually "melt away" so to speak?
Old 03-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
Head Chef

Now that is an interesting question
Old 03-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Now, what I want to understand. If the led comes out of the glass wouldn't that glass eventually "melt away" so to speak?
This is just a guess, but...

It does not take a very high concentration of lead to be dangerous. The amount of lead that leaches out of the crystal is small compared to the amount in there to begin with, but since it does not take a lot to do damage then the little bit that leaches out could cause a problem without harming the crystal significantly. Think of it similar iron leaching out of your cast iron pan.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:59 PM   #9
Master Chef

Yes, I understand, however I have some crystal glasses that have been in our family since WWII, and G-d only knows how old they really are. And they are as good as new. We are talking more than 60 years here of use, they should have melted by now for sure.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:28 AM   #10
Master Chef

We also have WWII glasses that have been used in the family for decades. Since my parents and others from their generation all lived to ripe old ages - as in 90s and even 102 - (and I seem to be ripening just fine, too) I would think that occasional use of the old glasses would pose little problems.