Lead-free crystal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jet

Sous Chef
I'm looking at getting some better wine glasses. I had my eye on this glass, but the "24% lead crystal" caught my eye.
31GmUxh9sxL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

It seems to me that regularly consuming an acidic beverage from lead crystal would be a bad idea.

Can anyone recommend good alternative?

The question of 24% lead crystal bleeding seems to be a valid one. Several sources indicate a possibility of poisoning, and California, for one requires notification in ads.
For this reason, I use Reidel Wine series glasses. 100% lead free, and high quality glassware. It also is more durable and less expensive

Really, how interesting, I have never heard of good quality crystal bled led, wow, intresting.

This is what a quick search reviled:

"
Safe Use of Lead Crystal

<LI id=jsArticleStep1 itxtvisited="1">To reduce health risks, soak new lead crystal in vinegar for at least 24 hours prior to use. Hand-wash each piece using a mild detergent and then rinse thoroughly. Lead crystal can safely be used to serve most food and drinks during a meal, because no liquid will remain in the serving dish or container long enough for leaching to occur in an amount that exceeds the Environmental Protection Agency's standards. However, do not store port, cognac or other alcoholic beverages in lead crystal storage containers. Use lead crystal decanters only for serving. Fill decanters with alcoholic beverages prior to serving, and then pour the remaining contents into a lead-free storage container, such as the original bottle in which it was purchased. Lead crystal jam pots can be used safely in the same manner. Avoid serving children and pregnant women with lead crystal, as they are at an increased risk for the dangers of lead exposure. "

Now, what I want to understand. If the led comes out of the glass wouldn't that glass eventually "melt away" so to speak?

Now, what I want to understand. If the led comes out of the glass wouldn't that glass eventually "melt away" so to speak?
This is just a guess, but...

It does not take a very high concentration of lead to be dangerous. The amount of lead that leaches out of the crystal is small compared to the amount in there to begin with, but since it does not take a lot to do damage then the little bit that leaches out could cause a problem without harming the crystal significantly. Think of it similar iron leaching out of your cast iron pan.

Yes, I understand, however I have some crystal glasses that have been in our family since WWII, and G-d only knows how old they really are. And they are as good as new. We are talking more than 60 years here of use, they should have melted by now for sure.

We also have WWII glasses that have been used in the family for decades. Since my parents and others from their generation all lived to ripe old ages - as in 90s and even 102 - (and I seem to be ripening just fine, too) I would think that occasional use of the old glasses would pose little problems.

Reidel, Stolzle, and Speigelau all produce high quality wine type specific lead free glasses. I think that you would be satisfied with any of these. My preference is Reidel Wine Series and these are the most widely available. Many large wine stores carry them.

I decided to look around town again and see what was available. At the big wine shop I found some Spiegelau glasses that looked pretty good. I checked and they don’t contain lead. They’re also cheaper, so I was able to get a pair of Burgundy and a pair of Bordeaux.

Back
Top Bottom