"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 07-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Long hot year good for grapes?

I'm guessing this year's weather, which has been crazy hot really early, is good for wine grapes? Am I right? If so, will 2012 be one of those sought-after years for many brands?

Just curious.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
Wine Guy

Surprisingly, hot years aren't always the best years. Once temps get over 90 F, ripening stalls. What you really want is an early spring without frost (kills buds) and no storms (heavy winds impede pollination), followed by moderate temperatures and little rain. Too much moisture is the real threat to a grape crop, as it promotes rot and mildew.

This could still end up being a very good year, though. Early season weather isn't as important as what happens from late July onward- the period called "veraison" - when the fruit begins to ripen. That's when most grape growers start holding their breath.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Happy 4th Dan and Steve,

Meterologically speaking, the Spanish Ribera del Duero, Valladolid, Castilla León Appellation and home to Pingus and Vega Sicilia, had an Excellent Qualification Year of 2011.

According to a client of mine, who is a well known expert Oenologist, he believes the 2012 shall be same or similar. The hot summers, speed up maturity of the 100% Tempranillo Red Grape.

We have a saying in Spain: 9 months of winter and 3 months of summer ... no spring and very minimal autumn ...

Winters in Castilla León are veered towards Continental cold and with some wet ...

The La Rioja Designation of Origin: www.winesandfoodsfromspain.com

The NY Times had recently done an article on the wines of La Rioja, nestled between Navarra and the red wine producing region of Álava in the Basque Country. At the moment, it looks quite positive ...

Good post and thank you Steve for the well presented information.

Happy 4th,
Ciao,
Margaux Cintrano.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I know only about our variety and those in neighboring vineyards. Stem burn on hot days eliminates the grapes on that bunch so no wine there. Warmish days, coolish nights work for our variety. This year looks pretty good so far for us. Not all growers here are smiling.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:13 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Old Vine: Where are you located ?

Buon Giorno,

Sorry to hear the negative report ... Where, are you speaking about ?

Ciao,
Margi.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
Senior Cook

I do not know many things about wine. Although my grandfather had wineyards and produced up to 5000 liters of red wine per year, I never learned anything ( only to drink and enjoy the wine)
But I do remember that he was happy when summer was hot and dry, and wine was more sweet and stronger.

Per aspera ad astra
Souvlaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Souvlaki,

A winemaker´s Grand daughter ! Now I know why I like you ... and besides, you have the knowledge of your classic cuisine, which I love.

Kind regards.
Margi.