Need sangria recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashleycttu04

Assistant Cook
I am in love with a sangria at my local brick oven pizza place... Of course they refuse to share the recipe.

Anyone have a good sangria recipe that includes cinnamon &/or nutmeg? I'm pretty sure this sangria has one or both of those ingredients in it...

Thanks in advance!!! :)

Ashleycttu04 said:
I am in love with a sangria at my local brick oven pizza place... Of course they refuse to share the recipe.

Anyone have a good sangria recipe that includes cinnamon &/or nutmeg? I'm pretty sure this sangria has one or both of those ingredients in it...

Thanks in advance!!! :)

Mine does not have cinnamon or nutmeg in it but I'm willing to share. It's nothing crazy but easy to make. I always make it the night before you are serving it.

I usually get one of those handles of wine. Carl Rossi sangria flavor.

1 handle of wine.
Triple sec.
Brandy.
Any schnapps liquor if you have but not necessary.
Sugar.
2 apples sliced.
2 peaches sliced.
2 kiwi
2 limes, 1 sliced and 1 for juice.
2 lemons, 1 sliced and 1 for juice.

I believe that's it.

Enjoy!

Welcome to you both! As a former bartender and frequent visitor to Mexico, I would suggest using the cheapest wine you can get, and put a whole bunch of citrus in it. The thread here on DC has a bunch of nice recipes for sangria. Check it out!

Last edited:
I've not made this yet but did bookmark it as something I'd like to try. It has the spices you were looking for. =) Let me know how it turns out if you make it!

Honeycrisp Apple Sangria

2 honeycrisp apples
one 750-milliliter bottle unoaked chardonnay
½ cup peach Schnapps
¼ cup honey
2 oranges, 1 quartered
1 lemon, quartered
1 lime, quartered
2 cinnamon sticks
2 quarter-size slices of fresh ginger
3 whole cloves
2 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
ice
club soda
mint sprigs, for garnish (we skipped)

Peel, core and chop 1 of the apples. In a bowl, combine the chardonnay, Schnapps and honey. Add the quartered orange, the lemon, lime, cinnamon sticks, the chopped apple, ginger and cloves and refrigerate at least 4 hours.

Strain the sangria into a pitcher. Peel, core and finely chop the remaining apple. Peel, section and chop the remaining orange. Mix the apple and orange in a bowl.

On a small plate, blend the sugar and cinnamon. Moisten the rims of wine glasses and dip in the cinnamon sugar to coat. Fill the glasses with ice. Pour in the sangria until three-quarters full. Top with a splash of club soda. Garnish with a spoonful of the chopped apple and orange and a mint sprig.

@Dawgluver - Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

@Zereh - Your looks good. I'm definitely going to try it.

Sangría - Andalusia, Spain

Spanish Sangría

*** large glass pitcher

4 cups of Spanish La Rioja Red Wine or La Castilla de La Mancha Red Wine ( it is best to use only good Spanish wine )

180 ml. Spanish Brandy ( Jerez de La Frontera, Andalusia )

1/ 2 cup Castor or extra fine sugar

2 lemons sliced

2 oranges sliced

Cloves and Cinammon

Cassis ( 1 shot glass )

Club soda & Ice

Fruits chopped: apple slices, pear slices and pineapple slices

1) Mix all except the club soda and the Cassis together in glass pitcher
2) chill in refrig
3) serve with a splash of club soda and the shot glass of Casis for each individual

*** Latin American grocers carry many Products from Spain in large urban cities

Last edited:
Sangrías - Original recipe 1800s

Hi,

I am a new member who has been living in between Italy and Madrid Capital, Spain for my profession.

Normally Sangría is made with La Rioja Red Wine and Jerez Brandy and Casis.

The original recipe was created in the 1800s in Spain.
It was introduced in the USA, during the World´s Fair in NYC.

Just wanted to say: Your White Wine Punch looks fabulous ... We are having a cold spell here ... brutal winds.

Margi Cintrano.

Welcome to you both! As a former bartender and frequent visitor to Mexico, I would suggest using the cheapest wine you can get, and put a whole bunch of citrus in it. The thread here on DC has a bunch of nice recipes for sangria. Check it out!

a big warm welcome to our two new members! a nice sangria will add a cheerful note to this (or any) occasion....

a bartender? i just love these little fun facts that come dribbling out about you, dawg. you weren't by any chance a bouncer once upon a time too?:)

Mine does not have cinnamon or nutmeg in it but I'm willing to share. It's nothing crazy but easy to make. I always make it the night before you are serving it.

I usually get one of those handles of wine. Carl Rossi sangria flavor.

1 handle of wine.
Triple sec.
Brandy.
Any schnapps liquor if you have but not necessary.
Sugar.
2 apples sliced.
2 peaches sliced.
2 kiwi
2 limes, 1 sliced and 1 for juice.
2 lemons, 1 sliced and 1 for juice.

I believe that's it.

Enjoy!
+1.
10% Cointreau, 20% Brandy, 70% wine.
Cointreau works well in place of triple sec.
I go easy on the sugar and fruit.

vitauta said:
a big warm welcome to our two new members! a nice sangria will add a cheerful note to this (or any) occasion....

a bartender? i just love these little fun facts that come dribbling out about you, dawg. you weren't by any chance a bouncer once upon a time too?:)

Old thread, Vit. I was surprised to see myself, then realized it was from Nov.! We did garner some nice new Sangria recipes though!

Know what, Vit, I did chase a couple who stole 2 jumbo margarita glasses without paying down the street, and got the glasses back!

Last edited:
Lol! I'm just happy people replied! Some delicious sounding recipes...& can't wait to try them!!!

Thought I'd share one I found & tried & tasted very similar to the one I love at my fav pizza place... (but everyone should know I don't measure ingredients...so the following are approximates)

1 bottle Cheap wine
2, 3, or 4 lemons, limes & oranges fresh squeezed
Approx 3/4 cup sugar

Slice up 1 lemon, lime & orange
Place in zip lock bag
Add 1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp nutmeg
Shake it up, coating the fruit with the spices
Add to the pitcher & refrigerate an hour or three... :) enjoy!

It was delicious!!!

Large bottle of Real Sangria, triple sec, brandy and slices of citrus fruit. Why waste good wine when it will all taste the same after a couple glasses.:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Sangria pretty much by definition has brandy in it. Sometimes triple sec or Cointreu (sp).

Also sparking water much of the time.

Dump a large bottle 1500ml of cheap red wine in a pitcher. Add a cup or so of cheap brandy. Add 1/4 cup sugar. Stir well.

squeeze 2 ornages and add the juice
add cut up oranges, apples, lemons and limes
if you're up to it, smash some cherries, remove the pits and add them

Taste. May need more brandy or sugar.

Serve well-chillled, mixed with a bit of plain seltzer and topped with frozen green grapes.

Last edited:
I could have drank the Biltomore's Sangria by the bucket when I was there. :) These do NOT have nutmeg/ cinnamon as asked by OP but worth posting.

Biltmore Winery's White Wine Sangria

Serves four to six

Ingredients:
•1 1/2 cups Sugar
•1/2 cup Water
•2 each Fuji apples
•2 each D'Anjou pears
•2 each Nectarines
•1 each Mango
•2 each Blood oranges
•6 each Juice oranges
•3 each Lemons
•2 each Limes
•1 cup Brandy
•2 bottles Biltmore™ Chardonnay Sur Lies

Method:
Mix sugar and water in small saucepan to create a simple syrup. Heat over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and set aside to cool.
Slice or dice apples, pears, nectarines, mango, blood oranges, 2 juice oranges, 2 lemons and 1 lime.
Juice the remaining oranges, lemon and lime.
In a gallon pitcher, mix simple syrup, brandy, juice and Chardonnay, then add fruit and refrigerate overnight or until needed.
Serve in a wine glass filled 2/3 full with ice.
Yield 1 gallon

Inn on Biltmore Estate's Red Wine Sangria

Serves four

Ingredients:
•2 oz. Orange Curacao
•2 oz. St. Remy Brandy
•12 oz. Biltmore™ Merlot or Century Red Wine
•3 oz. Orange juice
•1 oz. Grapefruit juice
•2 oz. Simple syrup
•4 oz. Biltmore™ Blanc de Blancs
•Garnish: lime and orange wedges

Method:
Mix together the first 6 ingredients.
Fill four wine glasses 2/3 full with ice and top each with 1 oz. of sparkling wine.
Garnish each glass with one lime and orange wedge. (This recipe, minus the sparkling wine, can be mixed ahead of time and stored for up to 7 days in the refrigerator.)
Note: to make a simple syrup, mix 1 1/2 cups sugar with 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
Chill.

Last edited:
Just a heads up.

I hope all of you folks that are adding citrus with the peel to the sangria and live in North America are using organic citrus. (Okay if you live where citrus grows this is probably irrelevant). Citrus Red 2 is a dye that is only permitted on citrus skins, because it is carcinogenic and it is assumed that people don't eat citrus skins. :ermm:

Just a heads up.

I hope all of you folks that are adding citrus with the peel to the sangria and live in North America are using organic citrus. (Okay if you live where citrus grows this is probably irrelevant). Citrus Red 2 is a dye that is only permitted on citrus skins, because it is carcinogenic and it is assumed that people don't eat citrus skins. :ermm:

A lady I work with eats any kind of peel she can get, oranges, grapefruits, bananas.... :ermm:

On hot summer days I buy a bag of frozen berries (blue, black, rasp, but not strawberries because they cloud the mixture) and freeze some green grapes. Instead of the sliced citrus I use the frozen fruit right from the freezer (the green grapes are for white sangria). They keep the drink nice and cold and are very pretty in a clear glass pitcher.

I have spent many pleasant hours at the bar of a Spanish restaurant in NYC's West Village watching the bartenders and waiters mixing up pitchers of Sangria. AIR, the large pitcher was $17 and the small $12. For over a decade my colleagues would get together at that establishment for a Christmas luncheon which ran upwards of 5 hours. Many of us would consume 2 main courses and mucho Sangria; back in the 80's the tab for such a feast ran $50 - $75 per person and was well worth every penny. Those were the days!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom