"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 04-10-2016, 12:27 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by konraddelipair View Post
@CraigC, Steve Kroll
I understand your preferences here. With one food you may have very different wines (Chianti Riserva vs Dolcetto vs Barbera) and be happy with your choice when you simply like the wine you choose. Myself I wouldn't mind one of those Chianti either. However from molecular perspective, if we talk about Italian wines, best fit is achieved with Valpolicella Ripasso.

And from price perspective, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't decent Chianti Classico Riserva similarly priced to Pinot Noir from California?

Where things get interesting, is the moment you skip geographical key in wine-food pairing, and try wines which have the right aromas, not the right birth place. Asian cuisine is the easiest starting point, as it's exotic, and you don't feel wrong with pairing wines from any region there.

@jennyema

Medium sweet, or medium dry, Chenin Blanc is a versatile wine, and nicely pairs with many recipes. And for people who are new to wine, it's a great starting point to enjoy wine with food. Cause in many pairings, food bonds the sweetness nicely, and reveals interesting aromas in this undervalued wine.

And all those pairings are neither wrong or random, sorry to say. Would have thought that goal of the forum is to exchange experiences to broaden our knowledge, not make strong, unfair opinions, just because someone experience is different than yours.
I would never pair wine with most Asian cuisine, preferring beer from the region. I'll go sake with Japanese and maybe soju with Korean, but with the rest it's beer. Heck, now there are craft brews that pair with dark and white chocolate. The bottom line is, you can drink what you like with anything you want. BTW, how do you justify our opinions being unfair? After all the are just that, opinions. So, what wine would you suggest to pair with a Cajun crawfish boil? Also what you claim as the best fit for the red sauce is nothing more than your opinion/preference, no matter how you arrived at it.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:09 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Let's agree to disagree. Take care, over and out.