"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 04-06-2016, 07:56 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Need wine pairing? Paste your recipe here

Short introduction: for last two years I worked on wine and food pairing algorithm, science based and automated. I was inspired by Francois Chartier book ‘Taste Buds and Molecules’. Started with tests on friends and family. Next read a lot of scientific publications on wine and food aromas. Last, worked with a laboratory to analyse wines on GC/MS equipment and compiled food ingredients / aroma compounds database.

As a result, after some more work on algorithm and data transformation, Delpair was born. In this topic, I would like to use my insight into Delipair’s results to help with wine pairing to your recipes. And hear your opinions after you try wine with the recipe.

Please post recipes, which need wine pairing, in this topic (as list of ingredients and cooking method, or as link to a web-page with recipe). For each recipe I will compile TOP10 wines, according to Delipair's algorithm, and publish the wine pairing curve, plus comments if needed. Sample recipe below.

For more information on Delipair method you may watch this short explanatory clip: https://youtu.be/7kmT45fDWTA

Recipe: Spaghetti with Meat Sauce from http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Spaghetti-with-Meat-Sauce-1196277

TOP10 wines:

Wine pairing curve:
Explanation: best pairing - oaked Pinot Noir from California has 100%, worst pairing - blended French Sauvignon Blanc from Bordeaux has 9%. With this type of curve every wine above 90% is a good pairing, above 70% is a decent pairing, tried to show that with colours. Last wine from TOP10 - partially oaked Chardonnay from California scores above 80%.

Waiting for your recipes and questions,
Konrad

Old 04-06-2016, 08:12 AM   #2
Sous Chef

The link to the recipe doesn't work. I'm assuming it's a tomato based sauce. If so, your algorithm needs some work. I would NEVER pair a riesling or chenin blanc with a tomato based sauce.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:50 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Corrected link to this recipe: Spaghetti with Meat Sauce Recipe | Yummly

About the pairing. From my experience medium-dry German riesling and medium-sweet or medium-dry South African chenin blanc are quite versatile in terms of food pairing. It was a big surprise at first for me, but then tests proved it.

However other wines from these grapes (riesling or chenin blanc) won't be a good pairing for this recipe, as you can see in table below.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:30 PM   #4
Senior Cook

My sauce is better, just saying - dried onions. Really?
Old 04-09-2016, 07:32 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I would pick the straw wrapped bottle of chianti before anything on that list to go with an Italian meat sauce.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:19 AM   #6
Wine Guy

Agreed. Although it probably wouldn't be a bad pairing, I sure wouldn't drink Pinot Noir with a plate of spaghetti. For one thing, the wine would undoubtedly cost more than the food I was eating it with.

Give me a decent (and cheap) Barbera or Dolcetto from Piedmont any day. It would be a much better choice.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:33 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Agreed. Although it probably wouldn't be a bad pairing, I sure wouldn't drink Pinot Noir with a plate of spaghetti. .

Or a medium sweet Chenin Blanc .....

All those "pairings" seem either wrong or random sorry to say ....
Old 04-09-2016, 08:46 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Agreed. Although it probably wouldn't be a bad pairing, I sure wouldn't drink Pinot Noir with a plate of spaghetti. For one thing, the wine would undoubtedly cost more than the food I was eating it with.

Give me a decent (and cheap) Barbera or Dolcetto from Piedmont any day. It would be a much better choice.
Although they are not cheap, they are more than decent, IMO-
Banfi Classico Riserva or Ruffino Riserva Ducale. They are my personal favorites for pairing with Italian type red gravy/meat sauce.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:49 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Although they are not cheap, they are more than decent, IMO-
Banfi Classico Riserva or Ruffino Riserva Ducale. They are my personal favorites for pairing with Italian type red gravy/meat sauce.

Mine too.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:53 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

@CraigC, Steve Kroll
I understand your preferences here. With one food you may have very different wines (Chianti Riserva vs Dolcetto vs Barbera) and be happy with your choice when you simply like the wine you choose. Myself I wouldn't mind one of those Chianti either. However from molecular perspective, if we talk about Italian wines, best fit is achieved with Valpolicella Ripasso.

And from price perspective, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't decent Chianti Classico Riserva similarly priced to Pinot Noir from California?

Where things get interesting, is the moment you skip geographical key in wine-food pairing, and try wines which have the right aromas, not the right birth place. Asian cuisine is the easiest starting point, as it's exotic, and you don't feel wrong with pairing wines from any region there.

@jennyema

Medium sweet, or medium dry, Chenin Blanc is a versatile wine, and nicely pairs with many recipes. And for people who are new to wine, it's a great starting point to enjoy wine with food. Cause in many pairings, food bonds the sweetness nicely, and reveals interesting aromas in this undervalued wine.

And all those pairings are neither wrong or random, sorry to say. Would have thought that goal of the forum is to exchange experiences to broaden our knowledge, not make strong, unfair opinions, just because someone experience is different than yours.