"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 03-29-2011, 02:20 PM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Alix, I'm a big fan of homemade red wine. In fact, one of the things I miss most about Boston is the farm couple from Billerica who used to gift me with a magnum of their homemade Red every autumn. Some years it was truly wonderful, but always, always great with a bowl of spaghetti with gravy.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
He prefers to drink Champagne from a white wine glass. The bubbles dissipate faster, but when you have a wine with great flavor (as I think his are) the rewards are HUGE with the white wine glass.
That's what my wife and I use at home as well. The aromatics are so much better in a white wine glass. Besides, it's tough to swirl a Champagne flute.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #13
Head Chef

For the past 7 months I have mostly been drinking Carmenère. It goes good with most things. As to temp I keep a few bottles on top of the fridge when I want one I open it.

This is the one I buy on a regular basis. It runs 2,000 peasos or about $4. The some place produces a more expensive one that cost 17,000 peasos but I have to get it in Santiago.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #14
Head Chef

Sorry that sould have been 3,000 or $6.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #15
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Well June, I suspect I drink "plonk" when it comes to red wine. I can't tolerate any commercial red wine, so my sister makes wine for me. (I love her!)
Same here. Let's go have a glass of "plonk" together!

I wasn't a big fan of red until I found this red called Svenska Red from a small winery in central NY.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Same here. Let's go have a glass of "plonk" together!

I wasn't a big fan of red until I found this red called Svenska Red from a small winery in central NY.
That's a weird name for a wine, especially made in NY. Svenska is Swedish for Swedish. The Swedes aren't really known for wine making.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Whether red or white, I found a collection of wines under one label that have become my favorite for any occasion. It wasn't until AFTER I decided these are the ones that I will always keep on hand, that I discovered the award winning St. James Winery is only about 100 miles away, located in Southern Missouri.

I know that many people may snicker at the fact Southern and Central Missouri has wineries, but the weather and soil allows for some great harvests, and the wineries are making themselves better known each year. I feel privileged in getting to know the people personally who are producing the wines I enjoy the most.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #18
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
I know that many people may snicker at the fact Southern and Central Missouri has wineries, but the weather and soil allows for some great harvests, and the wineries are making themselves better known each year.
That's nothing to snicker at. They've been making wine in Missouri for something like 150 years, which I believe is even longer than wine has been made in California.

Even more snicker-worthy is the fact that they make wine in Minnesota where I live. We have something like 30 commercial wineries here. Some are good. Some are not so good. But we're still learning.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #19
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That's a weird name for a wine, especially made in NY. Svenska is Swedish for Swedish. The Swedes aren't really known for wine making.
The winery's name is Swedish Hill Winery.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #20
Everymom

June, my sister makes a cabernet, a merlot and recently a valpolicella. I just about cried when I got home from visiting her place this last time, the val had been banged and had got a hole in the bottom. The rubbermaid tub was full of a lovely fragrant wine and I was without a bottle of deliciousness. I particularly enjoy the valpolicella. With a caesar salad and a steak...mmmmmm!

Dave, come on over and we'll drink plonk together.