"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 06-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I was able to pick up two bottles of Moscato d'asti at Costco last week. They had a coupon for $2 off...total cost for me $7 each. I discovered this last year and we enjoy it for special occasions...like tonight, no work for me and my Ogre is home.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Buonasera Steve,

Firstly, you are quite intuitive and on the mark ...

In the Madrid Capital, for example El Corte Inglés, has a few well selected Californian, French, German, Italian and South African wines however, in comparison the enormous Spanish selections are at a much fairer price. The upper income earning professional and knowledgeable Spaniards are slow to purchase foreign wines.

Many locals drive up to a winery, do a taste testing and food pairing course, spend a fab wkend and purchase wines at discounted wholesale prices as well.

The Italian wineries are quite a bit smaller than the Spanish 75 D.O.C.s and Spanish wineries, though, there are numerous corporations that could compare size wise to the Californian or Washington State wine estates, there are many which are Boutique wineries, thus, producing only Crianza, or oak barrel fermented aged wines and Reserves and Gran Reserves and thus, do not export abroad. The wineries that export abroad for example, Miguel Torres has been in business since 1850 or so.

The exemplary wine producers are suppliers to the enormous bar, hotel, spa and gastronomic restaurant scene the country possesses.

The larger wineries, producing Cava, Whites and Rosés have a vast export market to Japan, Switzerland and have begun producing wines for Kosher usage in Israel.

Italy on the other hand, is undergoing an enological re-engineering and the next enormous wine estates producing top quality wines, is southern Puglia Reds.

French wines in comparison to Spanish; there are very few French restaurants in Spain, and Bordeaux Reds for example, have varietals, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Syrah which has not proven as successful as the Spanish 100% Tempranillo Ribera del Duero or Toro, Zamora Mono Varietals.

It is always an enjoyment to speak about wines with you.

Thanks for all your savvy ...

Have a lovely wkend.
Ciao, Margaux.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Princess Fiona: Moscato D´Asti - 2 Bottles

Fiona,

Lovely to see that you have joined the Wine Cellar Discussions. It is quite a surprise.

The D.O.C. of Moscato D´Asti is actually in Piemonte, in Moscato Di Canelli, not Veneto where Prosecco is cultivated.

It is a lovely sparkling white with a stunning fruity bouquet and quite enjoyable with fruit desserts ... Moscato / Muscatel is a fruity white grape which is also quite light.

What is the name of the Moscatel that you purchased ?

I buy Vigneto Bianco Cospino when we are over in Italia.

Thanks for your post and have nice wkend.
Ciao, Margi.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Sir Lion of Beef,

Jaume Serra Rosé Brút Cava, Cristalino is a fine product, and I have had it numerous times. It is produced from the grape variety, Pinot Noir ...

Thanks for your feedback.

Enjoy ... and have a lovely wkend.
Ciao, Margi.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Santo, 2011.

I just like it, I know nothing about choosing wines or describing them. This one tastes good to me.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Fiona,

Pleased that you have enjoyed ...

Which producer ( the name of the Winery ) ?

Thanks for feedback.
Margi. Ciao.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Fiona,

Pleased that you have enjoyed ...

Which producer ( the name of the Winery ) ?

Thanks for feedback.
Margi. Ciao.
Santo is the only name on it aside from Moscato d'asti, it does have a DOC label, but no specific name of producer that I can see.

Bottled By: Santero SPA and the Importers name, the label is quite hard for me to read.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #18
Executive Chef

P.Fiona: Santero Spa

Princess Fiona, Buonasera,

Appreciate the wine information.

Santero Spa also produces a Rosé Moscat ... They have quite a well recognised position in semi sweet sparkling wines, white and rosé ...

Have nice evening.
Margi.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have a VERY un-sophisticated palate for wine. I do not drink much in the way of alcohol at all. I like a nice filtered water and orange juice, I can be tempted by a good root beer. Coffee and tea are good, too.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Fiona,

Yes, you have mentioned this on the Wine I.Q. Post ...

As I stated, I had been a bit surprised that you had purchased Italian Moscatel sparkling wines. They are very light and enjoyable.

I have alot of knowledge about wines, as we have lived in different countries, and working as a Sommelier in a Hotel Restaurant is well paying and provides the avenue to utilise my languages, meet people and also for journalism.

I had taken the certification, and found the entire subject quite fascinating.

The European Cup, Spain against France is going to airing shortly ... So, off to meet friends at the local Big Screen Tv Taberna ... and a bite ...

Have nice evening and hope Shrek is feeling better.
Ciao.
Margi.