Prosecco Is Not A Brand - It is a D.OC.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
:chef: Buonasera, Ladies and Gentlemen,

Prosecco is not a brand, however it is one of the most famous sparkling white wine Controlled Designations of Origin in the province of Veneto, Italia.

Which are your favourite brands of Prosecco made Sparkling Wines ?

Mine are:

1) :yum: Cá Salina Di Valdobbiadene

2) ;) Superiore Di Cartizze

Look forward to your your feedback.

Ciao,
Margi Cintrano.

Last edited:
Who said it was a brand?:ermm: Are you posting this thread in response to someones statement?

There are good ones and some really bad ones. However, I prefer Moscato d'asti!

Last edited:
Have never met a Prosecco I didn't like. :LOL:

We are pretty limited in selection here, I buy whatever I can find.

We are pretty limited in selection here, I buy whatever I can find.
Agreed. We don't get a large selection of Italian wines here, either. Most of the wine shops I frequent probably carry less than 30-40 Italian wines total. Spanish wines are even fewer and farther between. So, try as I might, I can rarely find any of Margi's recommendations.

Buon Giorno, Steve, Lynda & Dawgluver,

Firstly, thank you for letting me know that you have had difficulty finding Prosecco in your home cities. I am terribly sorry to hear this.

I had been unaware that export is probably narrow, going to Italian Restaurants on the east and west coast predominately.

Perhaps, speaking with a fine wine shop, could be of some real assistance. Furthermore, many USA wine shops offer wkly and mthly wine and food pairing tastings. Enquire !

Have a great wkend.
Ciao, Margi.

Last edited:
Buon Giorno Craig,

Firstly, thank you for your post.

The introduction on this post, was written to explain something to someone who had asked me awhile back to explain Prosecco and its data.

The Moscatel white wine that you have mentioned, without doing a research check, is from Valle D´Aosta in the northwest on the Swiss border. Moscat is Moscatel, a semi sweet white grape. This is another D.O.C. of Italia.

Have a nice wkend,
Ciao. Margi.

PROSECCO DATA ...

To continue, on the Prosecco theme, it was introduced into Treviso, Veneto, Italia, 25 km from Venecia, in the XVIII by an oenologist by the name of Antonio Carpené. The origins of these grapes hail from the Dálmata Coast. This sparkling white variety had begun initiating production at the turn of the XVIII into the XIX century.

Ciao.
Have nice wkend,
Margi.

Firstly, thank you for letting me know that you have had difficulty finding Prosecco in your home cities. I am terribly sorry to hear this.

I had been unaware that export is probably narrow, going to Italian Restaurants on the east and west coast predominately.

Perhaps, speaking with a fine wine shop, could be of some real assistance. Furthermore, many USA wine shops offer wkly and mthly wine and food pairing tastings. Enquire !
Margi, I see the same problem with US wines in Europe. When visiting a UK wine shop last year, I found the shelves to be full of mostly French and Australian wines (along with a few Italian and Spanish), while the selection of American wine was limited to Gallo and a few low quality plonk producers. We make some exceptional wine in this country. It's unfortunate that most of it doesn't leave our shores.

However, the wine shops aren't the ones to blame. It's the distributors and importers who decide where the wine goes. As far as US wines in Europe are concerned, the French have been working for decades to keep our best wines from reaching EU markets. I guess they're afraid of a little competition.

Last edited:
I usually buy NV Lunetta Prosecco Brut in 187ml bottles, a perfect size for making belinis or mimosas for Sunday brunch. However, this Sunday I am serving Jennifer's Kisses made with Jaume Serra Cristalino Brut Rosé Cava instead of Ballatore® Rosso Spumante.

I was able to pick up two bottles of Moscato d'asti at Costco last week. They had a coupon for $2 off...total cost for me $7 each. I discovered this last year and we enjoy it for special occasions...like tonight, no work for me and my Ogre is home.

Buonasera Steve,

Firstly, you are quite intuitive and on the mark ...

In the Madrid Capital, for example El Corte Inglés, has a few well selected Californian, French, German, Italian and South African wines however, in comparison the enormous Spanish selections are at a much fairer price. The upper income earning professional and knowledgeable Spaniards are slow to purchase foreign wines.

Many locals drive up to a winery, do a taste testing and food pairing course, spend a fab wkend and purchase wines at discounted wholesale prices as well.

The Italian wineries are quite a bit smaller than the Spanish 75 D.O.C.s and Spanish wineries, though, there are numerous corporations that could compare size wise to the Californian or Washington State wine estates, there are many which are Boutique wineries, thus, producing only Crianza, or oak barrel fermented aged wines and Reserves and Gran Reserves and thus, do not export abroad. The wineries that export abroad for example, Miguel Torres has been in business since 1850 or so.

The exemplary wine producers are suppliers to the enormous bar, hotel, spa and gastronomic restaurant scene the country possesses.

The larger wineries, producing Cava, Whites and Rosés have a vast export market to Japan, Switzerland and have begun producing wines for Kosher usage in Israel.

Italy on the other hand, is undergoing an enological re-engineering and the next enormous wine estates producing top quality wines, is southern Puglia Reds.

French wines in comparison to Spanish; there are very few French restaurants in Spain, and Bordeaux Reds for example, have varietals, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Syrah which has not proven as successful as the Spanish 100% Tempranillo Ribera del Duero or Toro, Zamora Mono Varietals.

It is always an enjoyment to speak about wines with you.

Thanks for all your savvy ...

Have a lovely wkend.
Ciao, Margaux.

Last edited:
Princess Fiona: Moscato D´Asti - 2 Bottles

Fiona,

Lovely to see that you have joined the Wine Cellar Discussions. It is quite a surprise.

The D.O.C. of Moscato D´Asti is actually in Piemonte, in Moscato Di Canelli, not Veneto where Prosecco is cultivated.

It is a lovely sparkling white with a stunning fruity bouquet and quite enjoyable with fruit desserts ... Moscato / Muscatel is a fruity white grape which is also quite light.

What is the name of the Moscatel that you purchased ?

I buy Vigneto Bianco Cospino when we are over in Italia.

Thanks for your post and have nice wkend.
Ciao, Margi.

Sir Lion of Beef,

Jaume Serra Rosé Brút Cava, Cristalino is a fine product, and I have had it numerous times. It is produced from the grape variety, Pinot Noir ...

Thanks for your feedback.

Enjoy ... and have a lovely wkend.
Ciao, Margi.

Santo, 2011.

I just like it, I know nothing about choosing wines or describing them. This one tastes good to me.

Fiona,

Pleased that you have enjoyed ...

Which producer ( the name of the Winery ) ?

Thanks for feedback.
Margi. Ciao.

Santo is the only name on it aside from Moscato d'asti, it does have a DOC label, but no specific name of producer that I can see.

Bottled By: Santero SPA and the Importers name, the label is quite hard for me to read.

P.Fiona: Santero Spa

Princess Fiona, Buonasera,

Appreciate the wine information.

Santero Spa also produces a Rosé Moscat ... They have quite a well recognised position in semi sweet sparkling wines, white and rosé ...

Have nice evening.
Margi.

I have a VERY un-sophisticated palate for wine. I do not drink much in the way of alcohol at all. I like a nice filtered water and orange juice, I can be tempted by a good root beer. Coffee and tea are good, too.

Fiona,

Yes, you have mentioned this on the Wine I.Q. Post ...

As I stated, I had been a bit surprised that you had purchased Italian Moscatel sparkling wines. They are very light and enjoyable.

I have alot of knowledge about wines, as we have lived in different countries, and working as a Sommelier in a Hotel Restaurant is well paying and provides the avenue to utilise my languages, meet people and also for journalism.

I had taken the certification, and found the entire subject quite fascinating.

The European Cup, Spain against France is going to airing shortly ... So, off to meet friends at the local Big Screen Tv Taberna ... and a bite ...

Have nice evening and hope Shrek is feeling better.
Ciao.
Margi.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom