Red or White?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a great way you have it broken down ;)
It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one who likes a glass (or two) of red wine every day :LOL:

Since I believe that wine is the food that completes the meal, it accompanies "dinner" at Chez Julia every night. and here's how I break it down in my classes and writing:

Everyday Wine -- costs $12 or less per 750 ml bottle (some we've enjoyed are around $7, the less they cost, the better for our pocketbook).
Weekly Wines -- cost between $12 and $24; you should be sure to drink better wines once in a while so you will have basis for comparison.
Monthly Wines -- costs between $25 and $50. Look for an occasion to drink one of these every month or two.
Special Occasion Wines -- cost more than $50. Of course you won't probably drink one of these on EVERY special occasion, but you should try to have one at least once a year. :)

Red.

White wine is .... unfulfilling? Totally non-satisfying to me.

Forgive my clumsy vocabulary.

It's like ..."am I drinking ANYTHING here?"

Lee

Even the smell of red can make me instantly sick.. and I've only found one white that I like. It was in Mexico and I believe it was named Devil wine or something like that. It wasn't hot or spicey though. Pretty good. I have not seen it in the USA.

Was it Casilio de Diablo? Castle of the Devil? That is one of my favorites.......not spicy or hot but really full-flavored.........

Even the smell of red can make me instantly sick.. and I've only found one white that I like. It was in Mexico and I believe it was named Devil wine or something like that. It wasn't hot or spicey though. Pretty good. I have not seen it in the USA.

Would it be "Casillero del Diablo" which means "The Devil's Cellar"? They are from Chile and make several different wines. Here is a picture:

casillerogroup_final.jpg

If it's white: Marcus James Riesling If it's red: Taylor Port

And I use the Marcus James Resling to make a white clam sauce for spaghetti.

And I use the Taylor Port for tomato sauces, beef stew, chili. and more dishes.

Fwiw, Port is not a red wine, it is a fortified wine. and there are several different types. The most common Ports are Ruby and Tawny. then there are vintage ports. Port (and other fortified, sweet wines) are the longest agers. Some vintage Ports are still around and drinkable after more than 100 years.

Here is the link to the Wikipedia explanation of fortified wines.

and now I have to stop writing and thinking about it, because I'm doing a cleanse this week and can't have any until Sunday! :wacko:

Would it be "Casillero del Diablo" which means "The Devil's Cellar"? They are from Chile and make several different wines. Here is a picture:

casillerogroup_final.jpg

It just might have been!!!

I'll have to ask Paul when he gets home!!

THANK YOU!!! I would love to try it again.;););):)

I usually drink white wine if I'm just relaxing or want a drink. My husband and I usually drink red wine with a meal. I have a nice Malbec for later tonight.

Both red and white, hopefully in the same evening! A perfect evening partying or hanging out might start with, a Sauvignon Blanc, be followed with an Alsace Riesling, a Chablis, and finally a Grgich Hills Chardonnay or something.
Then I would like to enjoy some Marsannay, a little Greek St.Georges, perhaps a Rhone wine, maybe a Barbera, an Oregon Pinot Noir, a Washington Cab Franc, and finally a Bordeaux or a mountain Cali blend.
And if there is any room left...a single malt scotch.

Both red and white, hopefully in the same evening! A perfect evening partying or hanging out might start with, a Sauvignon Blanc, be followed with an Alsace Riesling, a Chablis, and finally a Grgich Hills Chardonnay or something.
Then I would like to enjoy some Marsannay, a little Greek St.Georges, perhaps a Rhone wine, maybe a Barbera, an Oregon Pinot Noir, a Washington Cab Franc, and finally a Bordeaux or a mountain Cali blend.
And if there is any room left...a single malt scotch.

for me, all that would be followed with a major hangover!

I like both but it depends on my mood. if I feel happy I drink red otherwise white. cheers!

Speaking of rose' - I know I'm dating myself severely, but does anyone here remember when both Mateus & Lancers were enormously popular back in the 70's?

I enjoy both, but alot depends on the weather. When it's cold out I prefer a hearty red. When it's warmer, a nice light white seems to go well.

I enjoy both really, but my favorites have so far been dry Cabernet Sauvignons or Pinot Noirs. I began my wine experience with a cheap merlot back in the early to mid 90's, but have a hard time stomaching even the best of merlots anymore. My absolute favorite would be a early 90's Mt. Veedor Cabernet Sauvignon we lucked into back in '06. We were at a nice little grocery store in Cinncinnati, Oh. where my mother lives, called Jungle Jims and were going through their incredible wine selection and reading about nearly each one. It sounded like a great taste, so we bought 3 bottles at around $30-$40 each. We didn't have them until we returned to Florida a few days laters and fell in love. We went to a local sommelier we knew and asked him about it. He looked shocked we drank it and asked where we got it. We told him, and then how much whe he asked, and his jaw hit the floor ... a disgusting sight to be sure. He told us to order ever bottle they had at that price, because the year we had bought for $35 per bottle was really worth a few hundred a bottle and was considered Mt. Veedor's best years for that grape. He said they didn't know what they had or they would've had it under lock and key and sold for much higher.

Unfortunately, I called my mother and told her and she went to Jungle Jims, and apparently someone was quicker on the draw and had purchased all of the bottles they had in stock only a few days earlier. I nearly cried at the news ... it is truly an exquisite wine full of tanins, a hint of tobacco, and a nice dark cherry finish.

We've come across some later years recently, and they're still very good ... but they just don't compare to those bottles of ambrosia we had originally.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom