Red or White?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love reds......just can't drink them unless I want a headache (and that's excluding my husband.......jest kiddin').......I prefer a good dry Chardonnay that's really chilled......puts a fog on the outside of the glass

I'm an equal opportunity wine drinker. I drink both red and white wines and if I'm really mellow I will choose a 'pink'.

I am also an "equal opportunity wine drinker", although I will say that I probably drink more dry whites than reds year-round. I enjoy reds more in the winter when, I guess, I'm cooking more with them since they're more often an ingredient in heavier more robust dishes.

My favorite whites are chablis & pinot grigio, with an occasional white burgundy. Also, in the "sparkling" category, Spanish cavas.

Favorite reds: burgundy, merlot, & chianti - really anything dry.

The only sweet wine I enjoy occasionally would be ruby port.

It depends. on my mood, the time of year, what food is going to be consumed, IF food is going to be consumed, the weather.

If you are asking for specific "favorite" wines, I have some, but it would take me a loooooooooong time to list them. I like red wine, I like white wine. I like sparkling wine. I like dessert wine. I like fortified wine. I like expensive wines. I like inexpensive wines.

I maintain a small cellar of around 75 - 100 bottles. about 55 of them are "keepers," and don't get drunk too often, or are waiting to be what I'm considering to be "ready" to drink. The others rotate much more frequently. These are daily drinking wines (or sometimes weekly drinking wines) so they come and go much more often.

Since I believe that wine is the food that completes the meal, it accompanies "dinner" at Chez Julia every night. and here's how I break it down in my classes and writing:

Everyday Wine -- costs $12 or less per 750 ml bottle (some we've enjoyed are around $7, the less they cost, the better for our pocketbook).
Weekly Wines -- cost between $12 and $24; you should be sure to drink better wines once in a while so you will have basis for comparison.
Monthly Wines -- costs between $25 and $50. Look for an occasion to drink one of these every month or two.
Special Occasion Wines -- cost more than $50. Of course you won't probably drink one of these on EVERY special occasion, but you should try to have one at least once a year. :)

I drink reds, almost predominantly. I will do the occasional white but only after doing a bit of research (always for a particular pairing).

I don't often drink wine without food, either. If I'm just drinking without benefit of food, then it's usually liquor.

I love to have a glass of chilled white wine to drink and relax. Red wine when my husband opens one from his closely guarded collection.

red only - haven't found any white that suits my taste yet..

I prefer german ones like Lemberger, Trollinger or Dornfelder.. a good Acolon with dark meat is great, too..
for the lazy summerdays on the deck we have our italian ones like Kalterer See from South Tyrol or maybe a Montepulciano...

Wow, I'm surprised! I'm one who pretty much only drinks reds too, except for the occasional sparkling or dessert wine, but I thought I was in the minority. Does this mean I'm more normal than I thought or that we're all a little "different"?

I am not a huge wine fan, usually if I have some it is because it goes with the meal I am having (and I can't sub an Irish Red or ale), so about the only time I sip wine would be a dessert wine like a citrus or blackberry or raspberry or even peach.
The wife will choose a red to sip on, usually a Merlot I think.

Even the smell of red can make me instantly sick.. and I've only found one white that I like. It was in Mexico and I believe it was named Devil wine or something like that. It wasn't hot or spicey though. Pretty good. I have not seen it in the USA.

Please Pour Me a Glass

If it's white: Marcus James Riesling If it's red: Taylor Port

And I use the Marcus James Resling to make a white clam sauce for spaghetti.

And I use the Taylor Port for tomato sauces, beef stew, chili. and more dishes.

Back
Top Bottom