"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 07-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Tax Lady,

Subtlety is the key ...

Nice to see you online with one of my posts.

Have a lovely summer,
Ciao, Margi.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Steve,

I shall begin part 2 of this basic course I took many years ago. Thought it to be a good post for those who have little knowledge of wine ...

Have a nice evening,
Margaux.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Craig,

Blind tastings are very common here in Madrid as well as in Italia. I believe they are performed world wide at the Bacchus and International Wine Challenges and at Harvest Circuit times as well as at pairings.

Regards,
Have a nice summer,
Margaux.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Craig,

Blind tastings are very common here in Madrid as well as in Italia. I believe they are performed world wide at the Bacchus and International Wine Challenges and at Harvest Circuit times as well as at pairings.

Regards,
Have a nice summer,
Margaux.
Are they to identify the wines or are they to choose the best out of a particular kind, say chianti?
Old 07-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #15
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
What would actually be impressive with wine tasting, would be blind tasting and identifying the wine. Now that would convince me someone is a wine expert.
This isn't as impressive as one might think. Different wine varietals taste as different as other foods, for example nuts and cheeses. Using nuts as an example, would you agree that it's relatively easy to tell the difference between a walnut and a cashew? It's no different when tasting wine varieties that you're familiar with.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks very much, steve, for making the "science" much more enjoyable and less pretentious.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
thanks very much, steve, for making the "science" much more enjoyable and less pretentious.
+1
Old 07-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
This isn't as impressive as one might think. Different wine varietals taste as different as other foods, for example nuts and cheeses. Using nuts as an example, would you agree that it's relatively easy to tell the difference between a walnut and a cashew? It's no different when tasting wine varieties that you're familiar with.
So you are telling us that you could tell several wines apart if I gave you 7 different reds in a blind tasting? You could identify each individual type?

Nuts are easy. Could you tell us a chianti from a beaujolais nouveau, from a shiraz, from a bordeaux and other red wines, in a blind tasting?
Old 07-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #19
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Nuts are easy. Could you tell us a chianti from a beaujolais nouveau, from a shiraz, from a bordeaux and other red wines, in a blind tasting?
More than likely. Where it gets tricky is when you get into blends. But varietal wines (wines made from a single grape variety) are fairly easy. I can nail cabernet sauvignon, pinot noir, syrah/shiraz, zinfandel, sangiovese, riesling, and chardonnay with about 90% accuracy, simply because I drink and make these kind of wines all the time. South American and European wines I do *okay* with, but I'm probably closer to 60% on those. Blends... forget about it. People who claim they can tell you exactly what percentages of grapes are in a given blend are full of it. That kind of stuff only happens in the movies.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:48 AM   #20
Executive Chef

I like the Hugh Johnson quote "Imperial hegemony lives in Washington and the dictator of taste lives in Baltimore" perhaps there is a third new member?

Tags
wine