"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 07-30-2012, 03:10 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
thanks very much, steve, for making the "science" much more enjoyable and less pretentious.
if you remember Tom when I first started posting here I did not wish to be viewed as a self aggrandizing British twerp because of my training in Paris.I came here not to educate but to learn mainly about BBQ.I spent a few weeks "lurking" so I could get a feel of the members and their abilities.I was quite surprised with the talent I found and the no fuss method of disseminating recipes backed up with pics of their own creations. I like people who not only "talk the talk but walk the walk" so a +1 from me.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:10 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Craig,

Both to answer your question. It is not only wine ... Coffee, tea, sparkling waters, still waters, cheeses, etc. are quality controlled tested in similiar methods.

An oenologist, A winemaker, An owner of a restaurant sampling to purchase objectives, or hotel Bar Sommeliers, Media and Press Relations Wine Reporters and Columnists, etcetra as well as for Competitive Awards such as the Bacchus Gold, Silver and Bronze or International Wine Challenges which are frequently held in NYC, San Francisco and other very large USA cities and London, Beligum, Germany, Tokoyo etc.

Hope this answers your question.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:14 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Steve,

Yes, I am in total agreement with you on tasting Mono Varietals as they have their distinct characteristics, and which are relatively easy to distinguish verses Multi Blended Grape Variety Wines ...

For example, if one is taste testing a Syrah, Merlot varietal; one from South Africa, and one from California and one from Australia --- this is quite a challenge ... Yes ?

Thanks so much for contributing your wine knowledge.

Always a pleasure to have your feedback on my threads, and if I may add, you are always a gentleman. Thank you.

Kindest regards for a great summer,
Ciao, sempre, Margaux.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #24
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
For example, if one is taste testing a Syrah, Merlot varietal; one from South Africa, and one from California and one from Australia --- this is quite a challenge ... Yes ?
Absolutely right. I find California and Australia have similar styles - big and fruit forward. However, South African Shiraz is a completely different animal, as is Syrah from the Côte-Rôtie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
I like the Hugh Johnson quote "Imperial hegemony lives in Washington and the dictator of taste lives in Baltimore" perhaps there is a third new member?
Lol. Just call me the guesser of grapes.

Though I would have some competition from the missus, who I will always maintain has a better palate than me.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Steve,

What are your view points on Classic Rioja crianza & reserva reds and Ribera del Duero 100% Tempranillo Crianzas and Reservas ?

Furthermore, some wines have mysterious or odd aromas, for example: sealing wax and myrrh ... Have you encountered some unusual aromas in some Appellations ?

Sealing wax . La Rioja reds
Myrrh . and incense . could be an aroma too and in coffee !

Curious ...

Have you seen Bouquet and Perfume Part 2 ?

Kindest, Margi
Old 07-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #26
Wine Guy

My experience with Spanish wines, in general, is somewhat limited. We don't get a broad selection where I live. I've had more exposure to the Tempranillo (and sometimes Garnacha) wines of Rioja, though I've also had a few from Ribera del Duero at organized tastings.

My overall sense is that Rioja wines have a tendency to lean to more rustic flavors. They can be spicy and aromatic, though I've found some contain vegetal aspects. They also tend to be lighter bodied, even among the longer aged riserva wines. In general, I find that they are a good value.

The few Ribera del Duero Tempranillos I've had were what I would call "big" wines. Full-bodied and elegant. They were also pricier than the typical Rioja wines I normally buy. But again, I don't know if this is typical.

One thing I've also noted is that Rioja seems to have a fondness for American oak, while French oak is favored in Ribera del Duero. French oak has darker, more caramel flavors. American oak has more vanilla and spice notes. This would seem to account for at least some of the differences between the two appellations.

I have to head off to work now, but will take a look at the bouquet thread a little later today.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #27
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Lol. Just call me the guesser of grapes.

I'll tell you, friends, I really hate those who can taste and identify a wine, but only because I'm so envious...

Generally (and I emphasize "generally") I can just understand if a wine is:
1) Fantastic (tears from my eyes, I fall in a semi-catatonic state, snarling at who dares to disturb me while I sip)
2) Good (I keep smiling like an idiot, and hope that the other guests don't drink too much, because I want ALL that bottle for me)
3) Bad (I start swearing at us Italian idiots who make and sell cheap and poor wines, disguising them with fancy bottles and labels, offending the intelligence of the customer)
4) Disgusting (if I paid the bottle less then 5 Euros, I keep my mouth shut, otherwise I throw the malocchio on the winemaker or the merchant or both of them).
Old 08-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Luca: One, Two, Three & Four

Luca, Buonasera, Good Afternoon,

I like your philosophy and ditto, the same in Spain too !

Thanks for your feedback and contribution.
Sempre, Ciao,
Margi.

Tags
wine