Something is floating in the bottle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mj1

Cook
I have an unopened bottle of wine (Red Duck) that's been sitting in my refrigerator for about eight years or so (my father put it in there). I was going to open it but I noticed something nasty looking floating on the bottom. It looks like it could be the cork except that it looks shriveled. Any ideas as to what this thing is? Is it ok to drink this wine?

As wine ages, sediment will develop. That's why winemakers periodically siphon wine from barrel to barrel, and why household decanters were developed [the top 80% of the wine poured off into the decater and the dregs (bottom 20%) filtered through cloth and then used for cooking.] It's also why sommeliers offer the cork to be sniffed, and a small taste to the purchaser - to be certain the wine hasn't turned (gone bad).

It's very possible your wine has turned to vinegar, particularly since [I believe what you might have is Andre's Cold Duck or Duck Walk Red - Red Duck, unless it's from a local winery, doesn't exist nationally], neither is a particularly front line or noteworthy wine. It might just be better to pass on it and take a financial loss on the original investment, but you could take a sip and see for yourself. Wine that has turned may not taste very good, but it won't harm you.

The labels came off years ago but I just found the back one. I'm 90% certain this is Hazlitt 1852 Vineyards Lame Duck. It appears this has been discontinued according to their website.

and with wine, I don't think it's the same as something else one would question (when in doubt, throw it out concept). It will either be drinkable wine or vinegar. and you will know with just the tiniest sip.

I tried it and it seems to taste ok. I suspect it may have gone flat though. That's alright, it still tastes good to me. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom