Spanish Wines: Tasting & Food Pairing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
While studying at university years aggo, I had worked for my paternal Grandmom Margherite at her Trattoria in the " Front of the House ".

This included the tasks and responsibilities of ordering, sampling, invoicing, handling the clerical as well as the clientel side of the Bar, serving wines, and " performing the duties " of a Sommelier etcetra.

Thus, I had taken several intensive courses through the years in wine studies in several Designations of Origin in several Mediterranean countries and Sonoma, California.

Here are some of my latest tasting and food pairing tips that I believe you have access to abroad in the USA ... ( www.foodandwinefromspain.com )

*** What are your wine matches ?

1) Miros Crianza ( aged in oak barrels ) 2006 - Varietal: Tempranillo, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon - Bodegas ( Winery = Bo de ga ) Penafiel - D.O. Penafiel, Valladoild, Ribera del Duero

This brilliant red with an equilibrium of acid, stunning garnet red color and ageing processing in French Oak for 15 months is quite superior. It has lovely rich red and black fruit and oak aromas.

*** Pairing: Croquettes filled with bechamel and Jabugo or Serrano Ham and / or Fried Calamari.

2) Marqués de Riscal Torrea 2007 - El Ciego, Álava, Basque Country, La Rioja, Alavesa

This wine has quite an interesting aromatic bouquet, with black ripe fruit, plums and black berries and is well structured and has a long finish. This wine is aged for 18 months in French oak and is elegant to palate.

*** Pairing: Cuisines with heavy on garlic pair wonderfully here. Furthermore, foods with ginger.

3) Hermanos Lurton Cuesta de Oro 2009 - 100% White Verdejo
D.O. Rueda, Valladolid

This white wine, is a pale straw blonde mono varietal, with wonderful floral bouquet and equilibrium of structure. Fresh to palate, brilliant and clean and fermented in oak 6 months.

Pairing: Ceviche, Marinated fish, Prawns or Shrimp, Sashimi and Conch.

Back
Top Bottom