Strawberry Wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Filtering floaties (per mollyanne): Do you have a melita-type coffee maker or china cap? A paper coffee filter will do a dandy job in one of these - just make sure there is no residual coffee flavor in the filter media.

Thanks, Janet. I do have several filters that would work....including a funnel with a coffee filter-like thingie.

Thanks to both of you for the great idea. :)

Here is a picture of the wine on bottling day. I wish I had waited for the label to dry before I took the picture. :)

~Kathleen

Last edited:
Great photo and beautiful wine, kathleen!! Before we know it you'll have your own winery...and then I'm coming there to help you with overstock control :angel:
Oh, and I love the label too!

I am very proud of her on the whole process. She researched everything, figured out how she wanted to do thing and then made a good wine. She was a nervous through it, but who wants to invest that kind of time and have it go south?

She designed her label and did a bang up job on everything.

I did get to help, I got to use Lucille to squish the strawberries. I also corked while she bottled the wine.

Thanks, MA. I will have a glass waiting for you if you visit!

You too, Zhizara. Heck, anyone with interest, I could pour them a glass! :)

Frank was a terrific help. That bottle corker was not so easy!

Hunger Moon Strawberry Wine

In January, I decided to use up the remaining strawberries in the freezer and see how they would do making more wine. I've noticed that the process has taken about 50% additional time, but the scent, color, and flavor seem spot-on. Due to the sediment in the corked bottles from the June batch, I plan to run this batch through a filter prior to bottling. I completed the first racking today.

In January, I decided to use up the remaining strawberries in the freezer and see how they would do making more wine. I've noticed that the process has taken about 50% additional time, but the scent, color, and flavor seem spot-on. Due to the sediment in the corked bottles from the June batch, I plan to run this batch through a filter prior to bottling. I completed the first racking today.

I can almost smell it! :)

It is interesting she waited for me to run to the store before doing this so I couldn't get a taste.

Beautiful wine and label! We have been making wine for about 4 years now and stick mainly to the grape kinds that I can buy in a bag. Every grape wine we've made has sediment. A wine maker in Oregon told me that was a good sign ... Are you syphoning the wine out of your carboy? Our syphon has a cap on the bottom that takes out the biggest bits. Last summer I tried strawberry and it turned out alright. Our color was a light pink. A friend said she adds a few drops of food coloring to her's for aesthetics. (I've also heard of people doing this to rhubarb jam but that's another conversation ...). I've also read you should use fruit that has been frozen, something about intensifying the flavor.

So what are you trying this summer?

@ JMediger - This summer, I'd really like to make some cherry wine and some plum wine.

It's been an experience for me. I love making it. I can believe that freezing intensifies the flavors as this was even more strawberry-ish than the wine I made with fresh strawberries. I did siphon the wine from the carboy. The wine started a much darker pink when it was bottled than it did after aging it six months. Of course, the flavor was better after six months! :)

When you say you use grapes from a bag, what do you mean??

I loved designing the label....so thank you for the compliments!

@FrankZ and PF, it really was not too long. I move fast. :)

Last edited:
We have a friend that sells wine "kits" ... You get a bag of grape juice, a packet of yeast, clarifier, basically everything we had to buy individually to make fruit wine. The more expensive the kit, the more juice you get and the less water you have to add. We've done a Guwurztaminer, Reisling (twice actually), a Valpolicella, an Australian blend and two kinds of Pinot Noir. All of them have been wonderful!

I would love to try blackberry if I can find enough fruit. Cherry sounds good too! We have a wine making shop near us that you can advertise for fruit (or dandelion heads in some cases) so I might stick a note up there. Do you have any of the recipe books that are out there? If not, I would highly recommend getting one. Lots of great information and a little more consistent than what I've found on line.

Something fun I found to do with our strawberry wine was to make a batch of jelly from it. Great as a fancy little spread to put out.

It sounds as if your friend has come across a terrific concept!

The way I started into my wine-making is that my grandfather made it, but I never watched him make wine. I have his "recipes" which are actually just a list of ingredients. Honestly, I had no idea what to do. I purchased a fruit wine equipment kit which came with instructions that were really excellent. I also purchased a really nice book that contained more recipes. Over Christmas, I was given a book that told me what each ingredient did along with how to use it. I added tannin to my winter wine to see if it will add a bit of complexity and depth.

I should be able to find blackberries here in July, but I miss the days when I could simply grab a bucket and milk thumb-sized berries from the bushes like we did when visiting my grandmother. (She also had an abundance of fruit trees, wild grapes, and huckleberries.) When I was a child, I never realized how rare such things were. :ermm: (I saw a large can of pure blackberry juice in my local wine-making store, but could muster no enthusiasm for it.)

The strawberry wine jelly is a great idea! Do you have a TNT recipe?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom