"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 08-01-2015, 12:52 AM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
With all due respect CWS, I don't have a clue what your talking about. Lemons I get.
I know what you mean, Kayelle! Since CWS has been using her cellphone and its hellish auto-correct, some of her posts are a real adventure! Until I googled "yuzu" I figured it was an auto-correct of "used". Google helps me out a LOT! ~ Can't wait until CW can use her laptop again, but I suppose she feels the same way.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:03 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

I didn't make the yuzu...yuzu juice is too expensive to turn into vinegar. It is very tart...the vinegar less so. I was pleased with the marinade for the steak. I was going to bring it to a boil and reduce it to drizzle on the steak, but didn't have enough left. Next time.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:05 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

CG--My text msg are worse! Especially the ones that are composed automatically��
Old 08-01-2015, 07:55 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Buy the Sherry. It is dirt cheap and lasts forever. You will have it to use again in the future....
Old 08-01-2015, 08:11 AM   #25
Head Chef

White wine. We keep the little 4 packs, usually mix them up with 2 reds/2 whites when we buy and use them for cooking unless it's something special. I've even had a glass or 2 of them from time to time, especially the Merlot, when I've had the urge for a glass and we didn't have any red wine in the house or a bottle I wanted to open for a spur of the moment glass.

Rocklobster is right though about the sherry. It is pretty cheap and lasts forever.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:04 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I wouldn't have Vermouth, but would have a variety of vinegars, including sherry vinegar. I realizes I didn't have fresh lemon today. I yuzu vinegar, lemon vinegar, and sumac. For fun, I went with the yuzu.
Of course you do, but most people don't, so that's not very helpful to the OP.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:53 AM   #27
Sous Chef

Sherry is a fortified wine, which means it's a wine to which another form of spirits, usually a brandy, has been added. Therefore, using and wine or brandy (or a combination) would give you a similar, but slightly different flavor profile. Vermouth is also a wine, but one to which herbs have been infused.

The reason for the sherry is twofold. One is flavor of the sherry itself. The other is chemistry. Some of the volatile flavor compounds in foods are soluble only in water, other in alcohol, others in oil. Other flavors 'bloom' with heat. Your dish probably has some form of water and oil, and you'll be adding heat, so the alcohol in the sherry, in addition to adding its own flavor, will help release the alcohol-soluble flavor compounds in the other ingredients.

Any flavored or neutral alcohol will help bond the flavor molecules.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:07 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

How long an opened bottle of sherry lasts depends on the type, how it is stored, and the type of cork. Sweet sherry loses some of its flavor after about 12-18 months. Dry sherry lasts longer. I would by a big bottle and make sherry vinegar!
Old 08-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #29
Head Chef

Sherry

I keep a fairly well stocked bar, but if I did not I would keep a handful of single serving bottles around. They come in a wide variety, are inexpensive, and will last for years.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:35 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

On Julia's advice, I keep a bottle of dry vermouth for use in cooking. Vermouth lasts for a long time. I also have dry sherry which also lasts a long time.

Tags
cook, cooking