Substitution for sherry in cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatM

Assistant Cook
I have a recipe calling for 1 oz. of sherry and I don't want to buy a bottle for such a small amount. What can I use instead?

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

You can use vinegar. If you have white wine or rice vinegar, either would be better than distilled white vinegar, but any of them will work.

You can use vinegar. If you have white wine or rice vinegar, either would be better than distilled white vinegar, but any of them will work.
I think it would depend on the recipe. I wouldn't use vinegar in trifle. I would substitute some other sweet fortified wine or maybe a sweet, not fortified wine.

I've subbed port for sherry. Balsamic vinegar might work too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm making turkey stroganoff in a slow cooker.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

I think it would depend on the recipe. I wouldn't use vinegar in trifle. I would substitute some other sweet fortified wine or maybe a sweet, not fortified wine.

You're right, I should have asked. I most often use sherry in stir-fry, so that's what I had in mind.

Just a guess, but I'll wager someone without Sherry also wouldn't have sherry vinegar, or Vermouth for that matter. ;)

Was just going to say the same thing. :) I never think to buy those items, and end up leaving it out if a new recipe calls for it.

I wouldn't have Vermouth, but would have a variety of vinegars, including sherry vinegar. I realizes I didn't have fresh lemon today. I yuzu vinegar, lemon vinegar, and sumac. For fun, I went with the yuzu.

With all due respect CWS, I don't have a clue what your talking about. Lemons I get. :LOL:

If you had followed her threads, you would recall that for almost a year she was experimenting in making all flavors of vinegars. Blueberries, apples, lemons, etc. Even veggie vinegars. Her favorite one is the chocolate vinegar she made from scratch. So she is stating what vinegars she would use in place of the sherry. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom