Substitution for sherry in cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With all due respect CWS, I don't have a clue what your talking about. Lemons I get. :LOL:
I know what you mean, Kayelle! Since CWS has been using her cellphone and its hellish auto-correct, some of her posts are a real adventure! :LOL: Until I googled "yuzu" I figured it was an auto-correct of "used". :LOL: Google helps me out a LOT! ~ Can't wait until CW can use her laptop again, but I suppose she feels the same way.

I didn't make the yuzu...yuzu juice is too expensive to turn into vinegar. It is very tart...the vinegar less so. I was pleased with the marinade for the steak. I was going to bring it to a boil and reduce it to drizzle on the steak, but didn't have enough left. Next time.

White wine. We keep the little 4 packs, usually mix them up with 2 reds/2 whites when we buy and use them for cooking unless it's something special. I've even had a glass or 2 of them from time to time, especially the Merlot, when I've had the urge for a glass and we didn't have any red wine in the house or a bottle I wanted to open for a spur of the moment glass.

Rocklobster is right though about the sherry. It is pretty cheap and lasts forever.

I wouldn't have Vermouth, but would have a variety of vinegars, including sherry vinegar. I realizes I didn't have fresh lemon today. I yuzu vinegar, lemon vinegar, and sumac. For fun, I went with the yuzu.

Of course you do, but most people don't, so that's not very helpful to the OP.

Sherry is a fortified wine, which means it's a wine to which another form of spirits, usually a brandy, has been added. Therefore, using and wine or brandy (or a combination) would give you a similar, but slightly different flavor profile. Vermouth is also a wine, but one to which herbs have been infused.

The reason for the sherry is twofold. One is flavor of the sherry itself. The other is chemistry. Some of the volatile flavor compounds in foods are soluble only in water, other in alcohol, others in oil. Other flavors 'bloom' with heat. Your dish probably has some form of water and oil, and you'll be adding heat, so the alcohol in the sherry, in addition to adding its own flavor, will help release the alcohol-soluble flavor compounds in the other ingredients.

Any flavored or neutral alcohol will help bond the flavor molecules.

How long an opened bottle of sherry lasts depends on the type, how it is stored, and the type of cork. Sweet sherry loses some of its flavor after about 12-18 months. Dry sherry lasts longer. I would by a big bottle and make sherry vinegar!

Sherry

I keep a fairly well stocked bar, but if I did not I would keep a handful of single serving bottles around. They come in a wide variety, are inexpensive, and will last for years.

On Julia's advice, I keep a bottle of dry vermouth for use in cooking. Vermouth lasts for a long time. I also have dry sherry which also lasts a long time.

I keep a fairly well stocked bar, but if I did not I would keep a handful of single serving bottles around. They come in a wide variety, are inexpensive, and will last for years.
We can't buy Nippers in ON. When I cross over into Quebec, the SAQ is on my list so I can get Nippers.

If you had followed her threads, you would recall that for almost a year she was experimenting in making all flavors of vinegars. Blueberries, apples, lemons, etc. Even veggie vinegars. Her favorite one is the chocolate vinegar she made from scratch. So she is stating what vinegars she would use in place of the sherry. :angel:

Hmmm, I didn't know following threads that don't interest me was a DC requirement Addie. At any rate, I'm sure the OP didn't have a clue either.

How long an opened bottle of sherry lasts depends on the type, how it is stored, and the type of cork. Sweet sherry loses some of its flavor after about 12-18 months. Dry sherry lasts longer. I would by a big bottle and make sherry vinegar!

I've kept bottles of dry sherry for years with no loss of flavor. I also keep fresh ginger in a jar of dry sherry in the fridge. It lasts forever - both the ginger and the sherry - and I use the ginger-infused sherry in marinades.

The two best substitutes for sherry in recipes are rice wine and dry, un-oaked white wine, which would rule out most chardonnay.

Back
Top Bottom