Substitution for sherry in cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pirate was telling me the recipe for Chinese wings. (I love them.) One cup of water, one cup of soy sauce and one cup of fortified sherry.

My face fell when I heard him mention the alcohol. "Ma, I know how you hate it and so do I, but this time you can get it from the supermarket brand." Something to think about. But then now I would have to consider the amount of sodium. Soy sauce and supermarket brand of a fake cooking alcohol product. I know I can get low sodium soy sauce, but can I get low sodium sherry at the supermarket? I will have to check it out. Will take a close look at the label. :angel:

If you want low-sodium sherry, don't buy the cooking sherry at the grocery store. Salt is added to that on purpose. It would make no sense to have a low-sodium version. Get the regular version.

Cooking sherry still has alcohol in it, so if you don't want alcohol, buying that won't help you to avoid it.

Last edited:
If you want low-sodium sherry, don't buy the cooking sherry at the grocery store. Salt is added to that on purpose. It would make no sense to have a low-sodium version. Get the regular version.

Cooking sherry still has alcohol in it, so if you don't want alcohol, buying that won't help you to avoid it.

It is not that I want no salt, I want low amounts of salt. I already purchase low sodium soy sauce. Any suggestions for a non alcoholic product I can use for that recipe? I am open to all suggestions.

I am not on a low or salt free diet. It is just my common sense telling me that with a heart condition, I don't need a lot of salt in my diet. I have a problem with low blood pressure. Once again they have had to reduce the amount of my BP meds. So I am on the meds no reason I can see. But if they think I need it, then so be it. :angel:

It is not that I want no salt, I want low amounts of salt. I already purchase low sodium soy sauce. Any suggestions for a non alcoholic product I can use for that recipe? I am open to all suggestions.

I am not on a low or salt free diet. It is just my common sense telling me that with a heart condition, I don't need a lot of salt in my diet. I have a problem with low blood pressure. Once again they have had to reduce the amount of my BP meds. So I am on the meds no reason I can see. But if they think I need it, then so be it. :angel:

I'm just saying there's no such thing as low-sodium cooking sherry and cooking sherry still has alcohol in it.

Although I could be wrong, I believe that many American recipes for Chinese food call for sherry because before the "90s or so, rice vinegar was not a common ingredient in the U.S. For more authentic Chinese cooking, use rice vinegar instead of sherry.

...Although I could be wrong, I believe that many American recipes for Chinese food call for sherry because before the "90s or so, rice vinegar was not a common ingredient in the U.S. For more authentic Chinese cooking, use rice vinegar instead of sherry.

I believe dry sherry is recommended as a reasonable substitute for rice wine in Asian recipes.

I'm just saying there's no such thing as low-sodium cooking sherry and cooking sherry still has alcohol in it.

Although I could be wrong, I believe that many American recipes for Chinese food call for sherry because before the "90s or so, rice vinegar was not a common ingredient in the U.S. For more authentic Chinese cooking, use rice vinegar instead of sherry.

Thanks GG. I already have a bottle of rice vinegar on the shelf. And it is easy to now find in any grocery store. My store has it on two aisles. The vinegar/seasoning aisle and the International aisle. :angel:

I believe dry sherry is recommended as a reasonable substitute for rice wine in Asian recipes.

That, too. Rice wine can be even harder to find. When I asked for it at Total Wine, the clerk showed me sake. I said no, I wanted Chinese rice wine, not Japanese rice alcohol. He didn't know what I was talking about. I think I finally found it at the Asian market.

Just wanted to mention, though, that sherry is a Spanish product. When I started using rice vinegar or rice wine and peanut oil in my Chinese food, it tasted much more authentic.

But unfortunately for me, it is an alcoholic product.

I know I must sound like a nut, but I have never deliberately had food with alcohol in it. I am sure when I eat out in a restaurant, they probably have alcohol in some dishes that I have ordered. I just prefer to not have alcohol in my life. I have never had an alcoholic drink. And I certainly don't feel the need to have one anytime soon. It is just a personal preference of mine.

Now if you want to have a drink in my presence, go right ahead. I have no objections in that area. I will even sit in a barroom with you while you have a drink and I have a soda. Just please, don't bring it into my home.

I have on may occasions come across folks who insist that I have a drink with them. After about the fourth or fifth "No thank you," I have to make up a story that I am an alcoholic and a very nasty one. I hate to do that. I feel like I am making fun or using real alcoholics for my own means. But it is the only thing that stops the invites to drink. And I think we all at sometime or other have seen what nasty women alcoholics are like. Worse than seeing a man drunk. :angel:

I like to cook with Sherry, but in this case even I would use rice wine vinegar. I'd also use some Sriracha but I know you won't. ;)

Oh dear Lord, NO! That would tear up what is left of my stomach. I wish I could though. I used to eat hot food all the time. But now it is on my No No list. I put two red pepper flakes in mac and cheese once and it felt like I had put in the whole bottle. :( I didn't eat anymore of that mac and cheese. But Pirate did a good job of cleaning it all up so there was no waste. :angel:

Oh dear Lord, NO! That would tear up what is left of my stomach. I wish I could though. I used to eat hot food all the time. But now it is on my No No list. I put two red pepper flakes in mac and cheese once and it felt like I had put in the whole bottle. :( I didn't eat anymore of that mac and cheese. But Pirate did a good job of cleaning it all up so there was no waste. :angel:

No need to explain further Addie, by this time I think everyone thoroughly understands you hate alcohol and anything hot. Got it...

Last edited:
Heh. I love alcohol and everything hot!

Like my men. ;)

Last edited:
No need to explain further Addie, by this time I think everyone thoroughly understands you hate alcohol and anything hot. Got it...

You're wrong. I don't hate alcohol. I just don't care to have it in my life. Now you "go it" right. :angel:

Sigh, sadly once again, you've missed the point Addie.

And once again you are wrong. I know what your point is, I just choose to ignore it. Having buried two husbands and a child, I refuse to allow anyone to bring me down ever again. And that is what you are constantly attempting to do through bullying and nasty posts to me. So there will be no need for you to respond to this post. I am placing you on my ignore list once I sign off from this post. Thank you for your concern for my well being. :angel:

Okay, ladies, why don't you take this outside and beat the tar out of each other? That's what parking lots are for.

In the mean time (pun intended) if I was making either of these dishes for, say, a Muslim friend or a Baptist friend, I would replace the alcohol with turkey and chicken stock, respectively.

Back
Top Bottom