"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar
View Poll Results: What matters more, terroir or market appeal?
Terroir 14 73.68%
Market Appeal 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2009, 04:46 PM   #11
Master Chef

I only buy wines that have pictures of cute dogs on the label!

Old 01-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
That's great, jenny. When Buck and I had doggies, our method of purchasing dog food was choosing the package with the cutest dog on it. Seriously.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Unfortunately, Jenny, many Americans buy wine just that way. If the label catches their eye with a significant (for them) image, a favorite color or a name that has nothing to do with what is in the bottle, that's what they choose, even often when a salesperson tries to steer them to something they might like the taste of better..

Sadly, many plonky wines are designed that way, for just that reason.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #14
Sous Chef

If I don't drink wine, does that mean the terroir-ists win?
Old 01-05-2009, 05:07 PM   #15
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Sorry, Nate, but the word is TERROIR and not "terrior." Please get it changed. It is a French word that really has no accurate translation into English. It means "the soil," but not only the soil, but also the microclimate of the place the specific grapes are grown AND the growing conditions of each specific vintage.

There is significant conflict between many French winemakers and their Californian counterparts, that the Americans manipulate the grapes to make the wines taste the same as wines from other places, and as well, taste exactly the same from year to year. Thus, many (and not only French) feel there is little if any "terroir" to many California wines.

For me terroir is very important to why I choose and like a wine. Never "market appeal."
Yup, you are right June, sorry about the misspell, spelling was never my strong suit (my French is admittedly very poor as well). I suppose I should download the spell-check thing.

I am a member of a tasting group (mostly wine makers, growers, and writers) in N.E. Ohio. Terroir is a hotly debated topic among the old world folks in the group and the neauvou wine makers (sp again?). The definition of the word seems to be the biggest area of debate, what does it cover and not cover?

So I asked Laurent Drouhin about it at a Burgundy tasting in Cleveland. He told me terroir is the sun, the rain, the soil, the subsoil, the temperature, the humidity, and the worker in the field. He was very clear in telling me that terroir CANNOT be influenced in the cellar - only taken away from or destroyed - which is the debate amongst my wine friends I was just talking about.

I ask the question based more of market appeal for flavor rather than labeling. The "American" taste for wine tends to be "Big". Big alcohol, big oak, big tannins, big mouthfeel, big finish. So the Cali. winemakers are giving people what they want. I don't think it's a problem, only a preference. I love the challenge of tasting a wine, without knowing what it is, and trying to figure out where it came from, what year it was made, what type of oak it was cast in. Elegant, bold, fruity, sweet, light, heavy, steel, oak, I just like the challenge. There is no right or wrong answer to the poll, I am just curious what others think.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #16
Cook

Sorry June, I changed the spelling where I could, but can't figure out how to edit the poll. Maybe an admin or moderator can help?
Old 01-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #17
Master Chef

It's an interesting topic. European children are raised on wine (watered down, to be sure, but wine, nonetheless) and American children are raised on milk and soda... both SWEET -- LOTS of sugar, and not the residual kind found in wine. As a result, many adults in America have the taste for sweet beverages, and most wine does not fall into that category.

Add to that, most folks want to slug their wine the way they would a coke or a beer, and when they do that, even the finest wine will taste NASTY!

Did you know some Aussie wines are made to be especially sweet to appeal to Americans' tastes? They make them different for themselves. Interesting, Godiva chocolate also has two different formulas -- one for Europeans, the other (sweeter) for Americans.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Could someone please explain to me how wineries manipulate the grapes to make their wine taste different? Also, why is that a bad thing?
Old 01-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I guess wines could pick up a different flavor depending on where they grew, soil content etc.
I tend to buy local wines made here in Washington or California - they have a good flavor and a reasonable price. Sometimes I'll "go out on a limb" and get Australian, lol
Old 01-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Could someone please explain to me how wineries manipulate the grapes to make their wine taste different? Also, why is that a bad thing?
Andy, there are myriad techniques used by winemakers to manipulate the grapes, and more than that, the wine itself. I am not an expert in that at all, but I do know some add oak chips, some add unfermented grape juice, some add sugar, itself. but it is not all about adding things to the wine. The trend these days is to let the grapes get overripe before picking. That will always result in a sweeter wine. I'm not good at this, and I don't want what I say to be taken as gospel...

and it is not necessarily a bad thing. especially if you like the results. It does, however, rob the wine of its sense of place, its terroir.

Tags
terroir