"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 07-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
i think you misunderstood blissfuls post margi...it was a joke,a play on the words QUINTuplets & ESSENTIALS meaning underwear
It was made in a joking manner, no doubt. It is important to understand what Margi was trying to tell us, whether she uses a noun, verb, or adjective to get that meaning across. My meaning for quintessentials--in that little story, is just one example of making something into a noun. Please don't take offense, it was not meant to be offensive. It was meant to be light-hearted.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

People, joking is fine but it might be wise to use a to get the point across. Is it not better to cause a smile rather than a frown? It would certainly cause less hard feelings. There is no need to make remarks about the English we use. I'm not a teacher and I'm lost when it comes to an adjective,noun,verb, what have you. So please be kind to others as you would want them to be to you.
kadesma

Old 07-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
People, joking is fine but it might be wise to use a to get the point across. Is it not better to cause a smile rather than a frown? It would certainly cause less hard feelings. There is no need to make remarks about the English we use. I'm not a teacher and I'm lost when it comes to an adjective,noun,verb, what have you. So please be kind to others as you would want them to be to you.
kadesma
I started with a and ended with a . I don't think anyone here was being unwise or unkind.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #14
Head Chef

Would that I had put some consideration to this subject when younger. Alas, as I grow older, I find my sense of smell not so keen as it once was. I believe this would account for the older-lady-in-the-elevator whose perfume is much stronger than she perhaps thinks. No, really, not mine. I have given up wearing any but the lightest scents just on this account.

Maybe it's not too late to spend some time sniffing wine while putting more thought to the aroma as well as the taste. I'm off to pop a cork to let the wine breathe while I do the same.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #15
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I am finding all this quite interesting. I have some limited experience in detecting flavors and aromas in distilled spirits and, which will likely surprise some folks, tobacco...specifically handmade cigars. Not professionally, mind you, just as a way to enhance my own personal enjoyment. I reckon it is similar to the wine experience in that one's palate has to communicate with one's nose and brain to discern subtle differences that most folks cannot detect, usually because they are not looking for them. It often comes across as being pretentious, but it really isn't. It truly enhances the enjoyment of the wine, whiskey, cigar, or for that matter most things we like to eat, drink or otherwise indulge ourselves in. I reckon some folks will not understand my interest in such things but, shucks, most folks think I am crazy anyway.
Hoot, this is a good way of explaining it.

There's an old saying that "we eat first with our eyes." I'd argue that for things like wine, whiskey, coffee, or cheeses, we eat first with our noses. Smell is everything when it comes to these foods.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Hoot, this is a good way of explaining it.

There's an old saying that "we eat first with our eyes." I'd argue that for things like wine, whiskey, coffee, or cheeses, we eat first with our noses. Smell is everything when it comes to these foods.
Steve, I agree, to me smell makes a big difference in if I'm willing to taste something more so than just looking at it.
kades
Old 07-31-2012, 03:15 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
kadesma

Thank you Kadesma. English is sometimes not peoples first language either. Even if it is, it's not kind to pull people up over the use of grammar or spelling on forums.

Back to the subject however, I don't think my extensive knowledge of Peach Concorde will quite fit in here.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:49 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Gravy Queen, Kadesma, Blissful, Steve & Hoot

Thanks for all your feedback and contributions ...

Just off the cuff, I hold a Cambridge TEFL, Teach English Foreign Language Certificate and provide NATO Military Officers and UN Emergency Rescue Military Officers going on Missions with English courses from 7.30am to 9.30am, before the magazine office opens.

Furthermore, I was born in Manhattan and spent all summers until age 17 in NYC downtown and lived in Manhattan for almost 9 years even though I was raised in Vancouver ...

The criticizers of Quintessentials: take a TEFL Course at Cambridge

Buonasera,
Ciao, and have a lovely Tuesday.
Margaux.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #19
Sous Chef

About English, I must say that I'm using this forum to improve my skills, both reading and also trying to write.
About wine, THANK YOU for the time you spend to write here, for the benefit of those who, like me, are very far from a proper knowledge of the matter.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Luca: Thank You

Luca, Buonasera, Good Afternoon,

Truly appreciate your acknowledgement and thanks.

I am very pleased that this post has given you a keener insight to the world of wine and its many nuances.

Kind regards,
Sempre. ciao.
Margaux.