The Bouquet, The Perfume 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Luca, Buonasera, Good Afternoon,

Truly appreciate your acknowledgement and thanks.

I am very pleased that this post has given you a keener insight to the world of wine and its many nuances.

Kind regards,
Sempre. ciao.
Margaux.

Margi, I surely need and want do learn more about wines, but I have a thousands things to do... I need to find some good reference books on Italian wines and winemaking, possibly not to long and not to boring! :LOL:
Like this beautiful book on Italian food that I'm currently studying: Amazon.com: The Oxford Companion to Italian Food (Oxford Companions) (9780195387100): Gillian Riley: Books

People, joking is fine but it might be wise to use a :LOL::ROFLMAO: to get the point across. Is it not better to cause a smile rather than a frown:mad:? It would certainly cause less hard feelings. There is no need to make remarks about the English we use. I'm not a teacher and I'm lost when it comes to an adjective,noun,verb, what have you. So please be kind to others as you would want them to be to you.
kadesma
Kades both Charley D and I for different reasons struggle with the written word.I dont think D has been taken to task over our problem, I certainly have not.
I think this is more about content and delivery rather than linguistics. I came here to learn and to help if I could.I have no need to inflate my rather impressive ego through this medium because as a true British gentleman I find people who do rather gauche.

Luca: I have numerous books on wine A to Z

:cool: ;) Luca, Buon Giorno, Good Morning,

i shall go through my wine books, and see what i can suggest ...

I am on ferry enroute from Barí, Puglia to Corfu, Greece as it is the Vet´s birthday celebration ... an epicurean escapada ...

Shall provide the book list Monday or Tuesday.

Have great wkend.
Margi.

Margi, I surely need and want do learn more about wines, but I have a thousands things to do... I need to find some good reference books on Italian wines and winemaking, possibly not to long and not to boring! :LOL:
there ya go luca,hugh johnson obe,as wiki says,he's considered the worlds leading wine writer....no mean feat for a brit as britain isn't exactly famous for it's wines!!
i was given his guide to wines as a present from my boss,who was a bit of a wine buff, back in the late 70's.it was all in simple easy to understand language which,imo,creates an interest & hunger for knowledge more than jargon & floury " flim flam"
Hugh Johnson (wine writer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

there ya go luca,hugh johnson obe,as wiki says,he's considered the worlds leading wine writer....no mean feat for a brit as britain isn't exactly famous for it's wines!!
i was given his guide to wines as a present from my boss,who was a bit of a wine buff, back in the late 70's.it was all in simple easy to understand language which,imo,creates an interest & hunger for knowledge more than jargon & floury " flim flam"
Hugh Johnson (wine writer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks Harry. I think I'll start with this easy one, just to understand if I like this Author.
Amazon.com: Hugh Johnson's How to Enjoy Your Wine (9780517227473): Hugh Johnson: Books

:cool: ;) Luca, Buon Giorno, Good Morning,

i shall go through my wine books, and see what i can suggest ...

I am on ferry enroute from Barí, Puglia to Corfu, Greece as it is the Vet´s birthday celebration ... an epicurean escapada ...

Shall provide the book list Monday or Tuesday.

Have great wkend.
Margi.

Thanks Margi, let's turn me from :pig: in :smartass:

And have a good time in Corfù!

Thanks Harry. I think I'll start with this easy one, just to understand if I like this Author.
Amazon.com: Hugh Johnson's How to Enjoy Your Wine (9780517227473): Hugh Johnson: Books
i think you'll like him luca,very down to earth,no jargon plus he must have something going for him to have become #1!
when i was given the book in the 70's about the only wine "the average man in the street"could buy in this country(outside of a restaurant that is)was a pretty dire chianti(á lá fiasco)hence all the lamps!,an equally dire spanish wine called vina maria as i recall,mateus rosé that i still enjoy & some godawful rieslings.i remember him extolling the beauty of rioja wines & to buy some as a "good wine" wave was going to hit britain in the next few years & the price would rocket.he also named a wine merchant in the old fruit exchange in liverpool.
i shot up the old fruit:ermm::ohmy:exchange & bought a few cases for much less than £1 a bottle.beautiful stuff too.think it was faustino or banda azul.anyway,next few years & rioja is all over the place & the price had trebled.
he knows his stuff alright

Oz Clarke (also a Brit) is another wine writer I like.
+1 steve,very funny guy too.....sense of humour as dry as a muscadet!
malcolm gluck,tim atkins are also exceptionally gifted wine writers imo....again very down to earth & deliver with a sense of humour.jilly goolden "does my head in" she's from the school that claims to be able to taste the barbed wire that was nailed to the fence half a mile away to keep the sheep out,in a glass of wine:LOL:!!infact there have been parodies & comedy sketches of her on tv she is so extreme!

Last edited:
So much highfalutin talk about wine, while the senses experience it, it's best to remember this: Drink what you like. I rather enjoy the new age, more relaxed attitudes about wine, and that is has gotten away from the snobbery, and back into the land of the commoner, the way it has ALWAYS meant to be. there can be just as much enjoyment in a $12 Bottle, as an $$$expensive reserve, besides, after the first few glasses it's all the same.

Now, I shall retire back to my library, where I have many leather-bound books, and the room smells of rich mahogany.

Oh, edited to add:

:rolleyes::D

Last edited:
So much highfalutin talk about wine, while the senses experience it, it's best to remember this: Drink what you like. I rather enjoy the new age, more relaxed attitudes about wine, and that is has gotten away from the snobbery, and back into the land of the commoner, the way it has ALWAYS meant to be. there can be just as much enjoyment in a $12 Bottle, as an $$$expensive reserve, besides, after the first few glasses it's all the same.

Now, I shall retire back to my library, where I have many leather-bound books, and the room smells of rich mahogany.

Oh, edited to add:

+1 tatt the tantalising scent of mahogany reminiscent of a far away rainforest is so much more appealing than the reek of b.s. what what old man
a £4.49p,about what...$8 bottle of tesco simply malbec(french of course) was recently featured in the top three reds by tim atkins in the observer

Last edited:

Oh, edited to add:

I agree on that. When I visit art museums, I NEVER use those awful devices which explains to you this and that. I want to see a painting with my eyes and my heart, don't care so much about understanding subtleties. And sometimes happens that, as with Picasso "Las Meninas", in Barcellona, I keep staring at the same painting for an hour, such is the stunning effect of that work.
However, about wine, I'd like to understand more about its making and its world, I'll surely never turn in some "expert" talking to you about the strong bread or nuts flavour of an old red... I'll just enjoy it! :LOL:

Luca, Buonasera, Good Afternoon.

Las Meninas is quite a fascinating painting by: Velázquez and it is in the Prado Collection in Madrid on a permanent basis. It does travel for Velázquez exhibitions. The Midgets, Dwarfs, The Dog, the Servants and the young ladies in the painting all have a story to tell ... Very unforgettable work of art.

Thanks for mentioning.

Ciao, Sempre,
Have lovely wkend,
Margaux.

Margi Cintrano said:

Have great wkend.
Margi.

Happy Birthday wishes to the Vet, Margi!

Dawgluver & Tax Lady: Treasure Island Corfu

Buonasera Ladies, Good Evening,

Thanks so much for the kind and lovely messages.

We left early this morning, driving over to Bari Port to catch the Ferry for Corfu, 60 km ... GORGEOUS FERRY RIDE.

LOVELY HERE.

All my best for a wonderful August.
Margaux.

Luca, Buonasera, Good Afternoon.

Las Meninas is quite a fascinating painting by: Velázquez and it is in the Prado Collection in Madrid on a permanent basis. It does travel for Velázquez exhibitions. The Midgets, Dwarfs, The Dog, the Servants and the young ladies in the painting all have a story to tell ... Very unforgettable work of art.

Thanks for mentioning.

Ciao, Sempre,
Have lovely wkend,
Margaux.

And a lovely weekend to you! :)

Margi, I never visited Madrid, I went only once in Spain (well, Catalunia...), in Barcellona.
I was talking about these Meninas: "Las Meninas is a series of 58 paintings that Pablo Picasso painted in 1957 by performing a comprehensive analysis, reinterpreting and recreating several times Las Meninas by Diego Velázquez. The suite is fully preserved at the Museu Picasso in Barcelona and is the only complete series of the artist that remains together. This is a very extensive survey work, which consists of 45 performances of the original picture, 9 scenes of a dove,[1] 3 landscapes and a portrait of Jacqueline."

Oh, edited to add:

:wub: I like pink wine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom