"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 01-04-2009, 09:06 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by interwebmaniac View Post
Im quite a fan of the Cabernet Sauvignon, had a nice one the other night
Well, you can't come here and say just that! You have to tell us the vintner!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
I'm not familiar with this, Vicky. Can you elaborate?

I like Cabernet Sauvignon and some of the Shiraz that are on the market.
Katie - garnacha is the Spanish name for grenache. Origins for a change probably in Spain as opposed to France. It has a pleasant fruity quality and stands alone quite nicely (especially old vine grenache/garnacha), but, is mostly added to blends to include my favorites, Chateauneuf du Pape, Gigondos, and Cotes du Rhone wines. They aren't meant for aging (which works out perfectly ), can have a cherry note or even a plum note to it. The vintner is Masia d Bielsa. It really does have a more refined character to it than a lot of garnacha's/grenache's. The one I am drinking has a nice cherry nose and a very ripe plum finish. I taste the plum skin right on the finish and the finish is nice and long! They are not usually expensive...the one I have retails at $11.99 I think.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Sounds delicious. Buck was the wine expert here and I usually deferred to him. I have a lot to learn.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:28 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Sounds delicious. Buck was the wine expert here and I usually deferred to him. I have a lot to learn.
It's really good Katie - I'm going to check tomorrow to see if we can ship to KY - if we can, guess what you're getting???????

Old 01-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
It's really good Katie - I'm going to check tomorrow to see if we can ship to KY - if we can, guess what you're getting???????
Mmmmmm! Nummies!!
Old 01-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I paired my Garnacha with "Patatas A La Riojana" - a basic peasant dish from Spain. It uses very basic staples of the spanish kitchen - Spanish dry cured chorizo (not mexican, not fresh), potatoes, spanish pimenton (like a paprika), onions, garlic and water. Cut the chorizo into chunks (if you cant find Spanish, try a hard italian salami or even pepperoni cut into chunks - NOT ground Mexican chorizo), saute chunks in some olive oil until it gives off its reddish hue unto the oil.... then add chopped onions and garlic, stir through until sweated, not browned... add chunks of raw russet potatoes (1-inch cubes, preferably not evenly cut) and stir to coat in the oil throughout... when all warmed through, add some pimenton, then immediately add water to cover, bring water to a boil (no lid) and salt lightly. Allow to simmer so that the potatoes are cooked fully through and start falling apart, the water has combined with the potato starch and most has evaporated. The result should not be soupy but more stewlike. It is quite divine!
Old 01-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven S View Post
I paired my Grenacha with "Patatas A La Riojana" - a basic peasant dish from Spain. It uses very basic staples of the spanish kitchen - Spanish dry cured chorizo (not mexican, not fresh), potatoes, spanish pimenton (like a paprika), onions, garlic and water. Cut the chorizo into chunks (if you cant find Spanish, try a hard italian salami or even pepperoni cut into chunks - NOT ground Mexican chorizo), saute chunks in some olive oil until it gives off its reddish hue unto the oil.... then add chopped onions and garlic, stir through until sweated, not browned... add chunks of raw russet potatoes (1-inch cubes, preferably not evenly cut) and stir to coat in the oil throughout... when all warmed through, add some pimenton, then immediately add water to cover, bring water to a boil (no lid) and salt lightly. Allow to simmer so that the potatoes are cooked fully through and the water has combined with potato starch and has evaporated. The result should not be soupy but more stewlike. It is quite divine!
Okie dokie - I have just printed that! I fully understand about the chorizo. Back when I wasn't aware of the difference it was quite a shock when I bought Mexican chorizo.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:08 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Okie dokie - I have just printed that! I fully understand about the chorizo. Back when I wasn't aware of the difference it was quite a shock when I bought Mexican chorizo.
Do try to find a Spanish chorizo though (as opposed to an italian). I am aware of a website latienda.com which carries them, although somewhat expensive... but it does make all the difference in the world!! You could try calling or going to a Spanish restaurant in town and calling to see if they can tell you how they get theirs. You can also search online for some recipes for Patatas A La Riojana, but I have seen numerous that ask for a lot more ingredients... in these traditional peasant dishes, the fewer ingredients, the better!
Old 01-04-2009, 10:15 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven S View Post
Do try to find a Spanish chorizo though (as opposed to an italian). I am aware of a website latienda.com which carries them, although somewhat expensive... but it does make all the difference in the world!! You could try calling or going to a Spanish restaurant in town and calling to see if they can tell you how they get theirs. You can also search online for some recipes for Patatas A La Riojana, but I have seen numerous that ask for a lot more ingredients... in these traditional peasant dishes, the fewer ingredients, the better!
I have bought from La Tienda before. I can find true Spanish chorizo around here though. Their Jamon ham was QUITE tasty!

I'm a "fewer ingredients" the better person, myself. I may look some recipes up, but, I'm making yours!

Old 01-04-2009, 10:39 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
..and I'm pairing it with air!
ahh an excellent choice Madame