Tonight it's Garnacha!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's wine! I think I've had the blackberry? It suits a very hot day and makes a nice cooler in the summer with some tonic or soda water and a lime!

So does this mean it is safe to admit my wife has three bottles of it in the fridge right now??:ohmy:

She has peach, blackberry, and raspberry...

ahh an excellent choice Madame

:LOL: We just finished the bottle. I have to say that this is not your typical garnacha. It has an elegance about it (yes, even at $11.99 a bottle) that sets it apart. I highly recommend finding a bottle. Masia d Bielsa is the name. You must try this taste test. Smell it...you should smell cherries. Take a healthy sip...swallow...then move your jaw and tongue like you are chewing it...poof, plum...then a bit of plum skin...very long plum finish. And the BEST part is, apparently low in acid because my husband and I don't have acid reflux! :LOL: Either that or we've been taking our Prilosec like we should! I see a few more bottles of this in our future!

I paired my Garnacha with "Patatas A La Riojana" - a basic peasant dish from Spain. It uses very basic staples of the spanish kitchen - Spanish dry cured chorizo (not mexican, not fresh), potatoes, spanish pimenton (like a paprika), onions, garlic and water. Cut the chorizo into chunks (if you cant find Spanish, try a hard italian salami or even pepperoni cut into chunks - NOT ground Mexican chorizo), saute chunks in some olive oil until it gives off its reddish hue unto the oil.... then add chopped onions and garlic, stir through until sweated, not browned... add chunks of raw russet potatoes (1-inch cubes, preferably not evenly cut) and stir to coat in the oil throughout... when all warmed through, add some pimenton, then immediately add water to cover, bring water to a boil (no lid) and salt lightly. Allow to simmer so that the potatoes are cooked fully through and start falling apart, the water has combined with the potato starch and most has evaporated. The result should not be soupy but more stewlike. It is quite divine!

Yum! thanks for that. Duly copied. and sounds meant for a rustic Spanish Crianza.:)

:LOL: We just finished the bottle. I have to say that this is not your typical garnacha. It has an elegance about it (yes, even at $11.99 a bottle) that sets it apart. I highly recommend finding a bottle. Masia d Bielsa is the name. You must try this taste test. Smell it...you should smell cherries. Take a healthy sip...swallow...then move your jaw and tongue like you are chewing it...poof, plum...then a bit of plum skin...very long plum finish. And the BEST part is, apparently low in acid because my husband and I don't have acid reflux! :LOL: Either that or we've been taking our Prilosec like we should! I see a few more bottles of this in our future!

I like your description and, from it, can understand how the wine must taste. Sounds delightful.

I am going to be looking for this one, Elf, thanks!

Spain: Which Spanish Garnacha Wine ?

Buenas Tardes, Good Afternoon,

Which Garnacha have you chosen ? Is it a Mono Varietal or a Varietal including Garnacha grapes ? Which region of Spain had produced it ? Which winery ?

Look forward to knowing more about this wine selection.

Margi. Cintrano.

La Rioja Potatoes with Sausage & Bell Pepper

@ Chef June,

This is some hearty fare ! Have you ever been to La Rioja ? It is a beautiful region, in north central Spain, and the epicurism in this region is profoundly steeped in Roman Empire, Monastery, Convent and The Road to Santiago Pilgrim´s Way product availability; sheep, porc, artichokes, potatoes, bell pepper, chili peppers, river fish, asparagus ( white and violet ), grapes, wines and their Pears ... They also produce fanstastic E.V. olive oil in the Rioja Baja eastern zone, where they have a sub tropical micro climate, unlike the rest of the province.
I love Logroño ... It is a fab city for epicurism and historic culture. Chef Francis Paniego, a Michelin star chef ( Ezcaray in southern La Rioja - Rest. El Portal ) just opened a new Gastro Bar in Logroño.

You had also mentioned a 100% Garnacha variety red, is it 100% Garnacha, and which winery is it from - la bodega is on bottle ?

Thanks.
Margi.

Last edited:
Garnacha: Masia Bielsa

In going over the name of the Garnacha,

Masia is a farmhouse and it is a Catalan word, not a Spanish one.

Bielsa, is a place in northern Áragon in the Pyrenees, chain of enormous Mountains separating Spain from France.

I believe it must be from either Designation of Origin, Lleida, Catalonia or Somantano, Aragon from the name. However, it is possible that it is just owned by someone who is Catalan.

MC

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom