"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 06-29-2012, 01:07 AM   #1
Senior Cook

What gewurtztraminers would you recommend?

I generally buy Chateau Ste Michelle gewurtztraminer, since it's pretty cheap in PA and I like it. I was wondering what other producers you would recommend?

Old 06-29-2012, 01:45 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I don't normally drink wine but I enjoyed a G-wine (I suck at saying it let alone spelling it). It was from a vineyard in southern California. In escandeto, I am spelling it wrong that's how it sounds.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasingthisspace View Post
I don't normally drink wine but I enjoyed a G-wine (I suck at saying it let alone spelling it). It was from a vineyard in southern California. In escandeto, I am spelling it wrong that's how it sounds.
Escondido...I know, I'm a spelling geek...sorry, back to our original programming.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

Escondido...I know, I'm a spelling geek...sorry, back to our original programming.
Yes, that's it. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
Wine Guy

Columbia Winery is another producer from the Pacific northwest that makes a decent Gewürztraminer. I personally find it to be a little sweet, but my family members like it quite a bit.

If you're looking to branch out a little, there is a producer from the Alsace region of France called Hugel that makes a nice Gewürz. It's dry (the way I like it) and inexpensive (also the way I like it).

Here's my advice. Gewürztraminer is an easy wine for wineries to produce, so you won't find very many bad ones out there. Regionally, they vary more by sweetness. Gewürz from the US tends to have more residual sugar, as does that from Germany. Alsace makes it bone dry. So I would shop for it that way.

On a side note, I actually make about 5 gallons (2 cases) of Gewürz every fall. As I said above, it's an easy wine to make, and by making it myself, I have complete control over the final sugar level. I like it more on the dry side, maybe just a touch sweeter than the Alsatian versions. It's also VERY inexpensive to make. My per bottle cost is around $2 - and that's including the cost of the bottle itself.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Dan: Ge würz tra mi ner

Buonasera Dan,

Firstly, Gewürtraminer German semi sweet white grapes are now being cultivated not only in Germany, however, in Penedès, Spain, California and Trentino, Italia ...

This wine pairs with Asian Inspired Cuisines and / or spice with fruit desserts; for example:

When working with chilies and spices, one wants a wine with little residual sugar, such as the Gewürtraminer and Riesling, or one that has the acidity to assist with the spiciness of the dish.

In general, one should match the weight of the flavours and sauces with the weight of the wine ...

This fruity profile wine is delightful with:

Ginger, Scallion and Asian greens ...

I have tasted several, and the most recent was:

WALTRAUD, by Bodegas Miguel Torres, in Penedès - Barcelona ...

Miguel Torres exports to the USA ... and has a Wine Estate in Sonoma, California ...

Thanks for your interesting post.

Have a Happy Fun Filled 4th.
Ciao, Margi.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Steve,

Since, I am veered more toward dry whites, I am going to enquire about your recommendation next time we are over in Washington D.C. ; we always fly to D.C. and drive down to see close friends in N.C. and then, drive down to St. Augustine to see our older daughter, and then to Miami Beach, where we have my Mom and some old old friends --- then, from there, we decide which direction, northcentral, or directly west, or northeast ...

Thanks for the recommendation.

Kind regards.
Margi.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Steve: Found the French Hugel this morning !

Buonasera Steve,

Thanks so much for your wine recommendation ... Was able to find it at Lavinia this morning on my speed walk route ... ( www.lavinia.com )

Have lovely 4th,
Ciao, Margi.