"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 05-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #21
Master Chef

Mine would be below zero. Not only I do not like wine, I even do not like grape juice. Some how it doesn't seat well in my stomack.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #22
Executive Chef

hi margi
well,i'm sitting here sipping a glass of ice cold muscadet de sevre-et-maine sur lie,whilst typing this.my preference is white wine-love that salty/sandy taste that you get from coastal/estuarial wines.same reason i love manzanilla sherry,gotta be ice cold & la gitana has got to be the best value manza on the planet!.torres vina sol white when it's good,in my opinion,is a match for any chablis(their sangre de toro ain't a bad red either)but the odd bottle can have a bit of a "baking soda" spritz which isn't good!!.if i want something with a bit more fruit you can't beat a verdicchio(in my opinion)
as i eat a lot of fish & seafood,all of the above work for me but i've also been known to down a 16oz ribeye with any of the above too.....i guess it's all a matter of taste!
harry

Old 05-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #23
Head Chef

Well, I just know what I like and I admit I tend to stick to the same things (laziness probably) and so I would like to learn more and maybe try some new things. I did join an online wine club for a while, with tasting notes etc but it was all a bit hit and miss. Hence I go back to what I know and like.

Country wise I think Chile and Argentina are my favourite, for both white and red wine. Plus, common though it is, I do love a good Chardonnay and I find it easy to drink. Not a fan of Sauvignon Blanc or any smelly "flowery" whites. I like Rose in the summer months and again tend to favour Chile.

I do also like Italian wines - Pinot Grigio, a good Valpolicella.

Also partial to a french White Burgundy.

Tend to stick to anything 12% or 13%.

I cook with the same wines I would drink with. I like to make a good Boeuf Bourgignon, a Ragu or Coq au Vin.

I don't drink wine every day, I don't drink every day, for us its a weekend treat, time to relax and to savour.

And finally, I do like a nice dessert wine now and again as a treat after a meal out. Am buggered if I can ever remember the name of them though. Tsk. Must pay more attention!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #24
Head Chef

Forgot to mention Champagne. I love Champagne. My favourite so far is Bollinger.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #25
Head Chef

Bolas, That place looks like paradise. The food looked wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Harry,

Cool ...

Sherry ... Here we call it " F I N O " ...

What brand Sherries do you enjoy ?

I enjoy Albariños from Galicia in whites and Portuguese as well as my fave Prosecco ... Pinot Grigio can be lovely too as well Sicilia´s whites. Prosecco is my fave however, and Cavas.

Thanks for contributing.
Margi.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #27
Head Chef

I adore Prosecco too Margi. I actually really like Marks and Spencers own brand over here, but I also like the Martini brand Prosecco you can get in Costco.

Not a huge fan of sherry, but I do love Marsala, I drink the odd small glass and I love to add it to gravy and sauces.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Harry,

Cool ...

Sherry ... Here we call it " F I N O " ...

What brand Sherries do you enjoy ?

I enjoy Albariños from Galicia in whites and Portuguese as well as my fave Prosecco ... Pinot Grigio can be lovely too as well Sicilia´s whites. Prosecco is my fave however, and Cavas.

Thanks for contributing.
Margi.
sherries?...bodegas hidalgo(home of la gitana!),lustao,byass & of course good old tio pepe et al!
sicilia? gotta be a fiano!
hmmmm? sicily,puglia,sardinia,andalucia.........need some sun on my back!!
harry
Old 05-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
For everyday consumption; price, unadulterated taste and lack of undesirable aftereffects are my main criteria. I do not appreciate wines that give me agita or leave me thirstier than I was before consuming them.
That would be my view as well.

I would like to learn more about wine, but I'm afraid I will start to taste things in my decent cheap wines that I don't like and that I will get stuck only buying less cheap wine.

I once saw how to taste wine on a PBS cooking show. We went to an upscale pizzeria and had the house wine. It had tasted perfectly drinkable on the first few sips, then we "tasted it". Suddenly we could taste all sorts of unpleasant off flavours. We don't do that with house wines any more.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I just have to relate this story.

A friend of mine is a bar owner in St-John's, NF. He opened a restaurant and wine bar. He was not very knowledgeable about wine. A well know wine critic came into the restaurant and ordered a $400 bottle of wine. When he tasted it, he said it was off. My friend nearly s**t himself. He asked the wine critic about this wine being "off". The wine critic was happy to explain. He poured some wine into a glass and told my friend to taste it. My friend thought it tasted good. The wine critic agreed, but said that it should taste much better. Then he explained about the subtleties that were wrong and had my friend taste the wine again. He sort of understood. Then the wine critic said, "Take it back to the liquor store and tell them that I said that it is off. They will give you another bottle, no problem." And they did.

Tags
wine