"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 05-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #41
Executive Chef

@ Harry,

Enjoy your Manzanilla and I shall have a chilled Dry Fino with grilled langoustines ( huge prawns ) in an hour and a half at the family Tasca in front of my flat !

The wineries in Jeréz offer LA CATA = WINE TASTING BASIC COURSE in ENGLISH ... Check it out: Domecq, Gonzalez y Byass, Lustau amongst numerous others and the LA RIOJA GOVERNMENT REGULATORY COUNCIL ... ( the verb Catar = to wine taste )

Another good idea if you like wines, is to check out Wine Spectator Magazine on line from NYC.

Have nice evening.
Margi.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Bacardi 1,

Thanks for feedback ... I love Prosecco too, however, the average Spanish Tasca only has Spanish Wines. I like Barcelona Cava - sparkling wine too, however, I prefer Prosecco ...

So, I always have in the Loft, a few on hand chilled and in Wine Cabinet Storage.

Have nice wkend.
Margi.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
@ Harry,

Enjoy your Manzanilla and I shall have a chilled Dry Fino with grilled langoustines ( huge prawns ) in an hour and a half at the family Tasca in front of my flat !

The wineries in Jeréz offer LA CATA = WINE TASTING BASIC COURSE in ENGLISH ... Check it out: Domecq, Gonzalez y Byass, Lustau amongst numerous others and the LA RIOJA GOVERNMENT REGULATORY COUNCIL ... ( the verb Catar = to wine taste )

Another good idea if you like wines, is to check out Wine Spectator Magazine on line from NYC.

Have nice evening.
Margi.
thank you margi,i will.i have some scottish langoustines in the freezer.best in the world and,typical of this island,we have some of the best fish & seafood literally on our door(shore)step & most of it is exported because as as a seafaring island race we don't eat fish(well not much anyway)....beggars belief!
right,rant over,i'm off to the freezer............
enjoy!
harry
Old 05-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Harry: UNlike The Iberians & I

Harry,

Langoustines ( prawns ) and most white fish varieties, mussels and squid are probably cheaper than red meat ... We do not eat very much red meat as we love shellfish and pasta ... We pay not even 7 Euros for a Kilo of fresh cod fish, 5 Euros a kilo for fresh squid, 8 Euros a kilo for Norwegian Salmon ... and we had paid, 6 Euros a kilo fro Skorpio red red dragon fish in season. The Spanish fish Mkt is enormous and moves tons a day into Madrid Capital and Galicia the seafront to most of it and the Basque country and other inland major hubs where there are Michelin and important bars, tascas, and restaurants. Though I love Italia more, Spain does have cheaper fish and cheaper beef !

I had fresh wild Scottish Salmon as well as the smoked Scottish salmond while we had travelled through Ulla Pol in the Highlands, and it is lovely country, if my memory serves me correctly ... We have dear friends from Vancouver City, Canada who have some Scottish family that own a Hotel in SKYE ISLAND ... stunning place ... we also liked the historical Edinburgh.

Enjoy. Have nice evening.
Margi.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Harry,

Langoustines ( prawns ) and most white fish varieties, mussels and squid are probably cheaper than red meat ... We do not eat very much red meat as we love shellfish and pasta ... We pay not even 7 Euros for a Kilo of fresh cod fish, 5 Euros a kilo for fresh squid, 8 Euros a kilo for Norwegian Salmon ... and we had paid, 6 Euros a kilo fro Skorpio red red dragon fish in season. The Spanish fish Mkt is enormous and moves tons a day into Madrid Capital and Galicia the seafront to most of it and the Basque country and other inland major hubs where there are Michelin and important bars, tascas, and restaurants. Though I love Italia more, Spain does have cheaper fish and cheaper beef !

I had fresh wild Scottish Salmon as well as the smoked Scottish salmond while we had travelled through Ulla Pol in the Highlands, and it is lovely country, if my memory serves me correctly ... We have dear friends from Vancouver City, Canada who have some Scottish family that own a Hotel in SKYE ISLAND ... stunning place ... we also liked the historical Edinburgh.

Enjoy. Have nice evening.
Margi.
i'll drink to that! got a pan of garfolo bronze die linguine on the boil,langoustine tails defrosting,a big pinch of la mancha saffron(fav spice) colouring up a glass of my beloved mucadet & some crushed garlic & chilli.once the pasta is cooked i'll fry off the langoustines briefly in some good extra virgin olive oil with the garlic/chilli flakes,add the wine/saffron mix,big twist of black pepper,turn in the pasta......oh i will enjoy!!
harry
Old 05-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #46
Senior Cook

Quote:
Bacardi 1,

Thanks for feedback ... I love Prosecco too, however, the average Spanish Tasca only has Spanish Wines. I like Barcelona Cava - sparkling wine too, however, I prefer Prosecco ...

So, I always have in the Loft, a few on hand chilled and in Wine Cabinet Storage.

Have nice wkend.
Margi.
We used to LOVE & buy by the case a Spanish Cava produced by "Paul Cheneau". The brut was absolutely lovely. Dry, but not so dry that it made your ears touch, if you know what I mean. It was inexpensive & was our go-to sparkling wine for everyday use as well as celebrations. Great stuff.

Unfortunately, no distributors handle it locally here anymore or can even order it for some bizarre reason, so if I really want some, I have to do so online.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #47
Executive Chef

@ Bacardi,

Pleased to hear that you can still purchase it online.

I do not wish to criticize the Alcohol laws of some USA states ( truly 1800s); However, this could well be a reason.

Also, Sant Sadurní D´ Anoia, the Designation of Origin Regulatory Council and the Winery who make this product, may have issues on this product to sort out for export; and perhaps, they merged due to the crisis here ?

The USA has its regulations, and maybe the content of alcohol is higher than the USA permits !

This can be the issue, that they do NOT want to comply to the USA Laws, and therefore prepare for Japan, Which has an enormous import of Cavas for their Sashimi Bars.

I love Juve y Camps for the holidays and special occasions.

It is not inexpensive, however, quite elegant. I normally, get up to Barcelona annually and we drive over to the Wine Estate for some ...

There is "Brut" = Dry; and " Extra Brut" = Extra Dry and then, there are Reservas and Gran Reservas and Semi - Sweet ...

Have nice wkend and thanks for feedback,
Margi.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #48
Senior Cook

I live in the heart of British Columbia's wine country, the beautiful Okanagan. One of the closest towns to me is the wine capital of Canada - Oliver. I'm lucky to be surrounded by wineries and vineyards (and lucky to live in one of the few places in Canada that don't have horrendous snowy winters). My fella and I are actually getting married at a winery in September :)

Unfortunately, I'm not a huge wine drinker. But if I'm looking to enjoy a glass (or two), I prefer Pinot Noirs and Cabernet Sauvignons. My favourite wineries in the area are Blasted Church and Elephant Island. See Ya Later Ranch also has some breathtaking views from their winery.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #49
Senior Cook

My wine IQ is very low so I prefer all the different styles of beer to pair with food. It is more versatile for more items
Old 05-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #50
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim View Post
My wine IQ is very low so I prefer all the different styles of beer to pair with food. It is more versatile for more items
Same here - my beer IQ is through the roof!!

Tags
wine