"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 05-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
Executive Chef

What Is Your Wine I.Q.?

Good Morning,

For numerous people, good wine is the quintessential to an enjoyable dining out or home dinner or lunch. However, how much do you actually know about purchasing or ordering wine ?

Would be wonderful enjoying hear your viewpoints.

Firstly, I am well versed in Spanish & Portuguese and French wines, as I had done my Certification by the Government for Sommelier in the La Rioja region a couple of years ago. I had thought, that if we had ever returned to the west coast of the USA ( Calif., Oregon or Seattle ), Mexico ( Tulum, Yucatán ) or Punta de Este, Uruguay, I would not have a problem getting employment ... I am now, doing home study on the Italian Wines and Designation of Origins.

Look forward to your input.

Margi. Cintrano.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Good Morning,

For numerous people, good wine is the quintessential to an enjoyable dining out or home dinner or lunch. However, how much do you actually know about purchasing or ordering wine ?

I am now, doing home study on the Italian Wines and Designation of Origins
This is an interesting task! And a difficult one, considering that new DOP and IGP wines (formerly DOC, DOCG and IGT) are born almost every month... Not to talk about the dozens of varieties of Vitis vinifera combined to make Italian wines!
Personally, I drank only Piedmontese wines in the first three decades of my lustful life, since my father came from the Piedmont region. So I matured a deep love for Barolo, Barbera, Barbaresco, Grignolino, Freisa, Dolcetto, Nebbiolo... Then I started widening my experience, but I never crossed Italian boundaries, cannot tell a Costières de Nimes from a Roobernet! I'm as stubborn as a Valtellinese mule

Old 05-02-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Preferences for serving temperatures and aeration could also be interesting.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Wine I.Q. = 0, nought, nada
Old 05-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Lemberger based wines with an alcohol content of under 12% comes to mind as being one my favorites.
http://viticulture.hort.iastate.edu/.../Lemberger.pdf
Old 05-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Buongiorno Luca,

I have always had a profound interest in wines, as I was literally born in my Grandmom Margherite´s Trattoria.

Scientifically speaking, it is not about the country designation, it is more profoundly steeped in the scientific end; the grape varieties themselves, some being more Indigenious to one country and some being grown in every country, the color, the aromas each grape imparts, the clarity, the taste each imparts, the oak barrel and its role and the various types of oak. Traditional Hand Picked verses Machine Picked and uncountable other details.

Harvest qualification is essential. As I am sure you are aware, a bad harvest, does not produce a good wine ! Weather challenges are covered too.

None the less, thanks for mentioning the lovely Piemonte wines you have mentioned.

If you enjoy Barolo, you would be very surprised, & enchanted with
Valladolid´s ( Castilla León ) Ribera de Duero D.O. ( designation origin ), Vega Sicilia. This red has be awarded more medals than any other red wine in the world. It is worth every Euro ! I suggest you treat yourself to this delight ...

Kindest.
Ciao, Grazie.
Margaux. Cintrano.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
Executive Chef

@ Luca,

Oh yes, I wanted to mention that the Puglia Government and numerous Oenolgists, are revitalizing all the lands in southern Puglia and are making some wonderful wines. They have had a few very good harvests. They have of course been growing wines in this region since the Greeks had planted them ... then the Romans. These grapes are Indigenious and are being recultivated, as in Spain, Portugal, France, Greece and the Alsace zone, Solvenia amongst others and the USA too.

With the severeness of the crisis in the MEDITERRANEAN countries to date, they are in need of new innovated products to stimulate market and JOBS ... I had sampled a few over in Vieste, Bari and Lecce, amongst many other stops we had made, and they were lovely. It is not the designation of origin, it is the harvest ! If you have great grapes that have frost or too much rain, or it is too dry; than the harvest is not good, thus the quality of the wine = not too good. IT IS ALL ABOUT QUALITY OF THE PRODUCT THAT IS HARVESTED. It is a bit of Luck too ...

Margi.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Bill,

Thank you for your post on The Austrian Wine.

It is alot easier to purchase Austrian Reds in Vienna or in Switzerland / Germany than in the Mediterranean, where it would cost an arm and a leg literally. We have our own wines, in addition to Portuguese which are high on International Wine Challenges and have won awards.

Thank you for contributing some valuable information. The next time we are in Zürich, visiting my young daughter, we can check it out.
M.C.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
None the less, thanks for mentioning the lovely Piemonte wines you have mentioned.
If you enjoy Barolo, you would be very surprised, & enchanted with
Valladolid´s ( Castilla León ) Ribera de Duero D.O. ( designation origin ), Vega Sicilia. This red has be awarded more medals than any other red wine in the world. It is worth every Euro ! I suggest you treat yourself to this delight ...
Thanks Margi, but as I said I'm too stubborn: I'll stick to Italian wines, at least until I'll taste 50% of them all... And it will take some dozens years!

Quote:
Oh yes, I wanted to mention that the Puglia Government and numerous Oenolgists, are revitalizing all the lands in southern Puglia and are making some wonderful wines.
Talking about Pugliese wines, which indeed are wonderful, my favorite are Castel del Monte white and Squinzano red. Thank God I spent a full year down there, in that beautiful region with very nice people. And the food, the food...
Old 05-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Wine I.Q. = 0, nought, nada
+1 If it tastes good, I'll drink it.

Tags
wine