"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 01-05-2009, 12:02 AM   #1
Master Chef

What to pair with Delmonico or Ribeye steaks?

I know a red, right? But what would be a good one say from each of the following price categories:
Up to $15?
Up to $30?
Up to $60?

Or any other category you might use... LOL.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:05 AM   #2
Master Chef

Oh, maybe I should add that I have a cheap Shiraz (about $10 for the bottle), three bottles of Frutesia which to me are really a kind of dessert wine, and that is it right now.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:56 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I just had a blend from your $60 range - Magnificat. It was a 1999, but, I feel sure the current vintage will be fine too.

From the $15 range I suggest Hahn Meritage. It's a Bordeaux blend that drinks like a $25 bottle of wine.

From the $30 range look for NxNW - it's a beautiful cab from California.

In the $20 range see if you can find a wine by Leo Hillinger called Zweigelt. It's a bit more acidic but I don't think you'll notice with the food. Or any Zweigelt really...Anton Bauer makes a good one too.

Me? I'd go for the Meritage or a Rhone Valley blend (Gigondas, Chateauneuf du Pape, or Cotes du Ventoux). A lot of Cotes Du Ventoux wines can be had from around $10.00 and up. Domaine Du Vieux Lazaret makes one for about $11.99 or so that is superb! Grand Veneur is another good one.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:39 AM   #4
Cook

Are we talking whole sale or retail? I guess it dosen't matter a whole lot.

If I could try all three at once and see which one was the best combo...
Marsannay (~13 whlsl. ~17-24 retail from Louis Jadot or Joseph Drouhin)
Chateauneuf-du-pape (~28 whlsl. ~35-40 retail Maison Bouachon)
or
Montes Alpha Syrah (~22? whlsl. 28-35 retail)
Franciscan Magnificat - Gotta love the 9th. Good call elf :-) (50ish whlsl. 75-100 retail)
or
Domaine Droughin Oregon Pinot Noir - AKA DDO - don't even consider saying no, it is cheap... ($33ish whlsl. $48-60 Retail: It drinks like a $100+ Burgundy)

of course in a restaurant...$????

Those would be my dream picks in that range. Sounds like a wine dinner.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:48 AM   #5
Master Chef

OK, so I just have to write all these down and take the list with me to the store, LOL. It is an at home dinner served with two sides: Sliced zucchini with mushrooms, garlic, hot peppers; Baked sweet potato with brown sugar, butter and cinnamon.
The wine would be for her, I am thinking I would like a nice stout ale or red irish.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:57 AM   #6
Cook

If her palate is like my wife's (better than mine) Chateauneuf would win for my wife. 13 grapes in that one. Even with the five white varietals, it will rock a del or rib, I think.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:00 AM   #7
Master Chef

Yes, her palate is much better than mine, LOL. Then again, I have been smoking for 22 years and she has never smoked...
Old 01-05-2009, 02:05 AM   #8
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Yes, her palate is much better than mine, LOL. Then again, I have been smoking for 22 years and she has never smoked...
I am five years behind smoking, but hopefully, have finally quit...18 hours ago. I know what you mean.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:19 AM   #9
Senior Cook

I'd go with a good California Red Zinfandel. To me, nothing goes better with grilled or smoked meats. Some of the best reasonably priced Zins come from Renwood, Ridge and Ravenwood. I was a huge fan of Ravenswood a few years ago but less so in recent years, primarily because their cheap Vintner's Blend wines have damaged their reputation as a quality vintner. However, they still have some great, reasonably priced zins, particularly from their Russian River vineyards.

I usually try to stay around $20-$25 a bottle for my wines. It's hard to find good wine for much less than that, and there are so many good wines in the $20-$25 range that it's hard for me to justify paying more. Try the 2006 Ridge Three Valleys or the 2004 Renwood Old Vine, both priced at or under $20 from Saratoga Wine Exchange. The 2004 Ravenswood Belloni Russian River, under $25, is also a very good buy.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:23 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Good call on the California Zin, especially now that I see there is baked sweet potato and brown sugar involved - most are so hot with alcohol that they require food and your menu suggests they might go well. The zin will stand up to the sugar.

chefnaterock, we're talking retail here as most people don't have access to wholesale prices.

In my experience there are plenty of great wines for under $20. You just have to talk to the retail person who is familiar with their inventory. But yes, around $20 - $25 you see a "personality change" in the wine that makes you sit up and take notice! Worth the money to get that kind of smile on your face!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote