What's the deal with wine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi sadievan,

Also, about the vintage. It is a fact (unfortunate sometimes) that a wine will be GREAT one vintage and not so great the next. The weather plays a huge factor. So...if you really like a wine see if you can google the production. If it's a low production you may want to stock up. See if your retailer provides a discount on a case purchase.

I did not realize that about the vintage. Thanks for the info.

Also - strange - recently at a liquor store that had a wine tasting one Friday night, I tried this pinot noir called "Hangtime"... in the store it was wonderful, much lighter than any other pinot I've tried, so I bought a bottle. Tried a glass at home and it was just horrible, couldn't even stomach getting a couple of sips down. Anybody know what gives?

Thanks in advance :)
Katie

the wine needs to "breathe"... try to open the bottle about two hours before you need it, best would be a decanter, 'cause with the bigger surface the wine gets more contact with oxigen..

the wine needs to "breathe"... try to open the bottle about two hours before you need it, best would be a decanter, 'cause with the bigger surface the wine gets more contact with oxigen..

That's a REAL big generalization.

Per whose classification?

Any wine educator, maker, knowledgeable store manager, salesperson, etc. that you might care to ask.

Why don't you check out Karen MacNeil's great book on wine, "The Wine Bible." It's a great book on wine, no matter your level of knowledge, expertise or interest.

Both KitchenElf and I are in the wine business. Personally, I don't know anyone who considers white zinfandel a rosé wine.

Any wine educator, maker, knowledgeable store manager, salesperson, etc. that you might care to ask.

Why don't you check out Karen MacNeil's great book on wine, "The Wine Bible." It's a great book on wine, no matter your level of knowledge, expertise or interest.

Both KitchenElf and I are in the wine business. Personally, I don't know anyone who considers white zinfandel a rosé wine.

Feel free to check out either of the books I referenced earlier. One specifically says they are the same thing, and the other describes both sweet and dry pink wines as roses.

I don't really like wine myself either. The acidity in most wines have a bad effect on my stomach, so I can't truly enjoy it.
While I can't comment on the wines you could always try beers. I'm not talking about Bud lite or any of the rest of the virtually tasteless mass market beers.
I did a dinner party NYE with a wine and beer for each course for my family of wine lovers. The consensus was that the beers were as good or better than the wines throughout the meal

Thank you all very much! I may check out some of those books mentioned and for now will definitely look for sweeter light wines before moving onto deeper, dryer ones. With the exception of champagne (Korbel Rose Brut.. oh yeah :) ) I had been under the impression that even white wines were bitter or dry. Also, I had seen decanters but didn't think they'd make much of a difference, perhaps once I get used to darker wines I will pick one up.
Also thank you for the tip about oak fermentation, I'll be sure to note that when shopping for wine (although I wonder why it is that oak makes it more dry/acidic and what else there is for fermenting wine... maybe one of those books could help here :) )

coookies, Oak doesn't necessarily make the wine dryer...it is better suited for food than just drinking by itself. When you start out in reds it is good to let the wine breath...usually 30 minutes will do it...you'll eventually learn when a wine is corked, oxidized, or simply needs to breath longer. Good luck and what better experiment could you have? :LOL: Let us know what you try and what your thoughts were. Remember these things:

grape varietal (Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, etc.)
country of origin
vintage
vintner, wine maker

If one doesn't suit you we can guide you to another one. Cheers!

To really get into wine there are big forums where that is all they discuss. I lived in Paso Robles, Ca for five years. And that area produces some very good wines without the snob appeal of Sonoma Valley (so lower prices). Price is not an indication of taste!

I have a very unrefined palete but I will give you a few pointers. To be clear I prefer beer esp. micro brews to wine.

First drink what YOU like, I have drink some expensive wines with lots snob appeal that I did not like.

Tannins. To me Tannins are to wine what hops are to beer. They give bitterness to offset the sweet. They also make your mouth dry. Some of the wines I like my wife will not touch due to the Tannins. If when you tatse a wine and all you get is bitterness and a dry mouth the Tannins may be to high for you. In beer I like IPA's so yes I like some Tannins in my wine.

As mentioned before Oak agging. Some people love it some hate it. I like Oak notes in my Chardonnay but I have had some wines where that was all you could tatse. When the tasting notes say heavy oak I stay away. Drinking tree bark is not my idea of a good time.

If you are looking for a decent entry wine try Sutter Home White Merlot. Its about $5 and is easy to take. Sometimes I drink it at the end of the day.

Box wine. Box wine has a bad rap due inpart from history. Some really bad bulk wines were sold in cheap boxes (still are, like the free stuff my current hotel puts out for the Managers reception). But some good wines are now being sold in good boxes. Usually for me on the day I open a bottle I drink about 1/3 of it. So what do I do with the rest? The new boxes do not let air in. So you can get a glass when you like and the next one is as fresh as the last one. The wine snobs don't like it but you can find good wines in boxes. Its cheaper and more Eco friendly to put wine in boxes than glass so why not.

The Grape vine is very fickel. Give it perfect growing conditions and it will produce crap wine. Abuse it a bit and you get good wine. Abuse it more and you get great wine. Abuse it to much and you get nothing. Which is why same winery, vine and people produce very different wine from year to year.

I have not been sampling much this year or last but right now I like the 2006 Wild Horse Winery Merlot from Paso Robles.

I use a Vacuum Wine Saver. While not a perfect solution, it's definitely better than nothing.

I have one. Like you said its far from a perfect solution. Part of the problem is that air has alredy gotten in and mixed with the wine during pouring. The real solution is to go to a high tech dispensing station but they are expensive. The Sonoma And yes I would love to have one of these. Low end solution box or half bottels.

The problem with that is one of availability. Of all the wine I have on-hand, except for a couple dessert wines, none come in either box or half bottle. :(

Agreed. The business is very slow to change. Plastic corks are better but consumers don't like them.

The best place to store open bottles of white AND red is in the refrigerator. If you want to vacuum go for it. Re-cork and refrigerate. When you pour the red in your glass it will come back to room temp rather quickly from the warmth of your hands.

When starting your wine explorations it is not a bad idea to thin the wine a bit with water to lessen the effects of the alcohol and some flavor components that you may object too. That is how the French and Italians introduce their children to wines when they are young. It works.

When starting your wine explorations it is not a bad idea to thin the wine a bit with water to lessen the effects of the alcohol and some flavor components that you may object too. That is how the French and Italians introduce their children to wines when they are young. It works.
It's not unusual to also see some European adults add some water to their own glass of wine.

It's not unusual to also see some European adults add some water to their own glass of wine.

i believe that's a pitty to do that,
the people I know who do that is... my grand mother.

I'm French and I haven't waited my 18years old to taste wine (actually I'm 16 years old... and I LOVE wine :LOL:)
(to say the truth, I have no idea of my age when I tasted it the first time :LOL:)

I remember at the begining I didn't really like some wines, (probably because I was to young..)
But now I know how to apreciate good wine.
And if you dislike it, it could be because you don't eat the good food with your wine !
for exemple, red wine is perfect with cheese, but with fish, it's better to drink white wine ;)
and, of course, some wines are better than others :ROFLMAO:

Growing up I had good wine at special family gatherings, but the first wine I ever bought for myself was in 1970... Red Mountain Wine, $1.69 per glass jug.

40 years later and I can still taste it!! :-p

Back
Top Bottom