"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 01-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #51
Sous Chef

For a best-buy in red wine, I go with Rex Goliath Pinot Noir at less than $8. I've had better wines but not for less than 3 times the price. One caveat though, they recently reclassified this wine, and I have not tried the new stuff.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:06 PM   #52
Senior Cook

Ahhh. I miss Gelsons. I do have a Fresh and Easy opening up by my house however, and just a little further down is a Trader Joes....so I'm content.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #53
Master Chef

Where is this new Fresh & Easy opening? The only one I've been to is the one in Hollywood, close to where I work.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #54
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
We tried the Cavit Pinot Noir and really liked it a lot too. Another red wine we recently tried and liked was called Menage a Trois bottled by Folie a Deux winery. It is a blend of 3 wines, Zinfandel, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon.

Carol
My aunt bought this last summer when my boyfriend and I visited... she and the BF had some, I had a beer, and we all made fun of my uncle for not knowing what "Menage a Trois" means. :)

I remember the BF being fond of it so if he likes it (usually strictly a beer guy) I'll give it a go.

~Katie
Old 01-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #55
Cook

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by coookies View Post
My aunt bought this last summer when my boyfriend and I visited... she and the BF had some, I had a beer, and we all made fun of my uncle for not knowing what "Menage a Trois" means. :)

I remember the BF being fond of it so if he likes it (usually strictly a beer guy) I'll give it a go.

~Katie
Everytime I hear "Menage a Trois" I can't help but think of George and Seinfeld.

Carol
Old 01-23-2010, 04:34 PM   #56
Cook

you may enjoy Pinot Noir, as my friend does who does not care for other wines.
tzakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:37 AM   #57
Senior Cook

Another way to experience wine$ you wouldn't buy is to go for the tasting menu at a five star resturaunt and have the wines they pair to each course. You then get the wine the that enhances the food that enhances the wine. We don't pay for two wine flights or it would have us drunk. We get one and pass the glass. We don't always finish the glass either as they do pour a generous amount.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:34 AM   #58
Master Chef

Cookies, I'm coming into this line rather late, so haven't read all the entries. I grew up in a culture where we had sips of various alcoholic beverages early in life. The wine thing? I think most younger people I've known like light, sweet wines. I'm no expert, and don't have a discerning taste for it (liking very dry reds in the winter, whites in the summer). BUT when I was a young woman living in DC I had a couple of friends who wanted to be able to have a glass of wine at an important banquet and learn to taste and what to like. So we'd go to supper at some half-way nice restaurant (our budgets would not cover expensive!) and I'd get them going. Start with a light, sweet-ish (not super sweet) wine, and gradually "work up" to dryer, sometimes heavier, reds. (not in one night, mind you!). Blue Nun, Lambrusco, and Rose (I cannot remember, what were their names .... Oh, Lancers and there was another) were the fun "starter" wines. To this day I'll occaisionally buy one of the roses for a picnic! We had a lot of fun, and my gal pals (I was a whopping 23, but was ancient to my friends, and vastly more experienced) felt much more comfortable when thrown into social circumstances beyond their ken.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #59
Assistant Cook

It looks like you're looking for some nice whites with a little more "bite!" I also enjoy a bit of oomph, and too many Italian whites go down smoothly providing little to no aroma. That’s part of why Maso Canali is such a great buy -- we use the Passito method (which is to take a percentage of the late harvested grapes, drying and vinifying them separately to add to the final blend). This results in a Pinot Grigio with enhanced tropical flavors. I like to pair it with lighter fare, like fruit salad-topped toast, or Asian cuisines. It especially goes well with coconut milk based dishes.