What's the deal with wine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coookies

Cook
I've been trying to enjoy wine for a few years now (of course, since I turned 21... ;) ) but, with the possible exception of Lambrusco, I can't find a *real* red or white that doesn't completely disgust me (I suppose Arbor Mist doesn't count). I keep hearing about how wine is so fabulous when paired with the right foods, how it has all kinds of health benefits, how cooking with it can take a dish up a notch.. and I'd like to upgrade my dinner beverage from water, so can anyone give me a primer on good wines for a youngin' that hasn't developed a "palette" for it yet? And where does one go from there (i.e., how do you tell a good wine from a bad one if you feel like being adventurous/expensive and trying a vintage wine?)

Also - strange - recently at a liquor store that had a wine tasting one Friday night, I tried this pinot noir called "Hangtime"... in the store it was wonderful, much lighter than any other pinot I've tried, so I bought a bottle. Tried a glass at home and it was just horrible, couldn't even stomach getting a couple of sips down. Anybody know what gives?

Thanks in advance :)
Katie

As a relatively recent wine drinker, I can relate to your question. It's definately an acquired taste, but well worth it. Try to stick with lighter wines (like Riesling) to start with.

As to the wine that was not as good as when you tasted it, I'm afraid that happens. Things like the temperature, how long it had been open and how much you had already drank can affect how the wine tastes.

I would also recommend the book ''Wine For Dummies''.

I don't like dry wines or a strong wine. I had a glass a wine at a friend house that was really good. It comes in a 5 liter box with a pour spout - It is Peter Vella's White Zinfandel. The color is actually a dark pink even tho it says white. I have used it cooking to with good results.

I don't like dry wines or a strong wine. I had a glass a wine at a friend house that was really good. It comes in a 5 liter box with a pour spout - It is Peter Vella's White Zinfandel. The color is actually a dark pink even tho it says white. I have used it cooking to with good results.

White Zinfandel is a rose, not a white, and would be a great starter wine.

I can totally relate. I have a hard time enjoying most wines, especially reds. I can tolerate white zinfindel, reisling, and some other lighter sweeter wines. I have been to many wine tastings and I just cannot develop a taste for heavier or dryer wines.

First, vintage does not go hand-in-hand with expensive. Most wines are vintage, with a few exceptions. It sounds like you simply haven't developed your palate yet...nothing wrong with that. Stick to either things like a Riesling or go to a wine shop where you can get some help. Tell them that you want a VERY fruit forward wine in maybe a pinot grigio or a chardonnay to start. Make sure the wine did NOT go through an oak fermentation process. You may like a Moscato d'Asti...it's an effervescent white wine from Italy with the sweetness that I think you like. Your palate will change over time...don't rush it. For starters try a more fruit forward red wine and add some tonic water. It will sweeten the wine and dilute the taste...spritzers may be a good way for you to ease into wine. You can do the same thing using a white wine. You can add an orange slice or a lemon/lime slice too. Good luck and let us know if any of the suggestions appeal to you or it's a total miss. We can go from there. Cheers!

Jet --Yes I know this is a rose color thats what I was saying that even tho the label says white it isn't. Its pretty good. I pay for a 5 liter box $16.99. Its handy as I like my wines cold hand this is handy with the spout on it in the fridge,

Jet --Yes I know this is a rose color thats what I was saying that even tho the label says white it isn't. Its pretty good.
They do the same thing with a white merlot, which is a rose wine as opposed to the usual red.

That's VERY good advice from Kitchenelf!
I agree whole heartedly with the Moscato d'Asti, but I cannot help but feel the mixed drinks are over-the-top.

They do the same thing with a white merlot, which is a rose wine as opposed to the usual red.

I agree whole heartedly with the Moscato d'Asti, but I cannot help but feel the mixed drinks are over-the-top.

The part highlighted above...I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean mixing the wine with tonic and if so, what makes it "over-the-top." Sorry, I just need clarification, I guess.

Part of 'the deal' with wine is the MADD mentality in this country (21 to drink 18 to vote). Wine is a somewhat acquired taste and at 21 years of age an American is 15 or 18 years behind the 8-ball.

Part of 'the deal' with wine is the MADD mentality in this country (21 to drink 18 to vote). Wine is a somewhat acquired taste and at 21 years of age an American is 15 or 18 years behind the 8-ball.

This is taking the OP's intention to a different level. I KNOW we're not going to hijack the thread and we all know we won't turn this into a political discussion :LOL: Let's keep this true to the basic question...thanks!

First, vintage does not go hand-in-hand with expensive. Most wines are vintage, with a few exceptions. It sounds like you simply haven't developed your palate yet...nothing wrong with that. Stick to either things like a Riesling or go to a wine shop where you can get some help. Tell them that you want a VERY fruit forward wine in maybe a pinot grigio or a chardonnay to start. Make sure the wine did NOT go through an oak fermentation process. You may like a Moscato d'Asti...it's an effervescent white wine from Italy with the sweetness that I think you like. Your palate will change over time...don't rush it. For starters try a more fruit forward red wine and add some tonic water. It will sweeten the wine and dilute the taste...spritzers may be a good way for you to ease into wine. You can do the same thing using a white wine. You can add an orange slice or a lemon/lime slice too. Good luck and let us know if any of the suggestions appeal to you or it's a total miss. We can go from there. Cheers!

These are some great ideas, I will surely give some of them a try! My sister brought a Moscato wine at christmas (not of the sparkling variety) and it was quite easy to drink.

First, vintage does not go hand-in-hand with expensive.

We were at a store once and a wine demonstrator told us basically the same thing. When you find a wine you like, look at the label for the flavors of the wine and try to find similar in other ones. Price does not necessarily mean good. We go with what tastes good to us not by price.

Make sure the wine did NOT go through an oak fermentation process.

Why is that with the 'oak fermentation'? Curious.

I have started to keep an excel spread sheet with the name of the wine, manufacturer, country/state, red/white/rose,etc., price, where bought, and a rating. We like to try different wines.

My SIL & BIL go to Wine Styles. They have a club you can join and go to their wine tastings. Might be good to try out to see what kind of wines you like.

Carol

FWIW, neither White Zinfandel nor White Merlot are Rosé wines. Both fall under the classification of "Blush" wines, as they are sweet, and Rosé wines are NOT sweet, although many have a lot of forward fruit.

FWIW, neither White Zinfandel nor White Merlot are Rosé wines. Both fall under the classification of "Blush" wines, as they are sweet, and Rosé wines are NOT sweet, although many have a lot of forward fruit.

Per whose classification?

Hi sadievan,

I say to avoid Oak fermented wines because I think it takes a more experienced palate to appreciate/like them. She is looking for more fruit-forward wines. Also, the Oak fermented wines are more appreciated with certain foods.

Also, about the vintage. It is a fact (unfortunate sometimes) that a wine will be GREAT one vintage and not so great the next. The weather plays a huge factor. So...if you really like a wine see if you can google the production. If it's a low production you may want to stock up. See if your retailer provides a discount on a case purchase.

Per whose classification?

The terms are getting interchanged, but, a rosé is made from red-skinned grapes, which make red wine. The wine is bled off before it reaches the red color. A blush wine is historically made from white-skinned grapes with red wine added to it. If someone says "blush" wine I immediately think of residual sugar being added...if someone mentions roséI think of fruit-forward but bone dry.

That's the short of it, anyway. Per whose classification? The wine-making world.

The terms are getting interchanged, but, a rosé is made from red-skinned grapes, which make red wine. The wine is bled off before it reaches the red color. A blush wine is historically made from white-skinned grapes with red wine added to it. If someone says "blush" wine I immediately think of residual sugar being added...if someone mentions roséI think of fruit-forward but bone dry.

That's the short of it, anyway. Per whose classification? The wine-making world.

I have two books in front of me, The Art and Science of Wine by Halliday and Johnson, and Wine for Dummies that disagree with the distinction between rosé and blush.

Back
Top Bottom