"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 01-19-2009, 07:55 PM   #11
Master Chef

liquor store. That's all that's down here, lol

Old 01-19-2009, 08:13 PM   #12
Head Chef

I've been collecting wine for about 40 years, and I maintain a really funky climate-controlled cellar in the garage that holds about 550 bottles. (See photos.)

I buy from several sources:

Los Angeles Wine Company is a favorite because of the excellent prices, although I also buy from a good local store (Manhattan Fine Wines) and a few others in the L.A. Area: Wally's, Woodland Hills Wine Company, Wine Exchange, Amazing Grapes, Southern Hemisphere, and a few others.

I also buy a LOT on line, especially high-end stuff: several places, including Wine Access, Wine.com, J.J. Buckley, K&L, and Wines-Til-Sold-Out, to name a few.

And I buy directly from a few wineries, including Clos Pepe, Navarro, Ojai, Radio-Coteau, and others.

Lastly, the supermarket, mostly for inexpensive daily guzzlers -- around here the markets are quite competitive and all offer 10% off on 6 bottles, but their selection of the really good stuff is generally quite limited.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:22 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
I've been collecting wine for about 40 years, and I maintain a really funky climate-controlled cellar in the garage that holds about 550 bottles. (See photos.)

I buy from several sources:

Los Angeles Wine Company is a favorite because of the excellent prices, although I also buy from a good local store (Manhattan Fine Wines) and a few others in the L.A. Area: Wally's, Woodland Hills Wine Company, Wine Exchange, Amazing Grapes, Southern Hemisphere, and a few others.

I also buy a LOT on line, especially high-end stuff: several places, including Wine Access, Wine.com, J.J. Buckley, K&L, and Wines-Til-Sold-Out, to name a few.

And I buy directly from a few wineries, including Clos Pepe, Navarro, Ojai, Radio-Coteau, and others.

Lastly, the supermarket, mostly for inexpensive daily guzzlers -- around here the markets are quite competitive and all offer 10% off on 6 bottles, but their selection of the really good stuff is generally quite limited.

OMG! If you ever need someone to help you "clean the garage", I volunteer!!!!!
Old 01-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #14
Head Chef

Depends. What you cook, Tex?
Old 01-19-2009, 08:33 PM   #15
Executive Chef

We get ours from an Amish winery about 1 hr away....Love it!!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:43 PM   #16
Executive Chef

So much depends on how your state controls liquor sales etc. Both Delaware and Maryland have liquor stores which sell beer wine and hard liquors. Some Maryland counties allow beer and wine sales in convenience stores but selection is top ten faves only. Pennsylvania has brew stores for beer and state stores for wine and liquor, but allows local wines to be sold in winery controlled stores. I buy in Del or MD. Better selection and price.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:47 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
I've been collecting wine for about 40 years...
...I hate you.

I get mine from the local super-mega-booze-mart. Been meaning to set up an account at Geerlings & Wade.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:08 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelady View Post
We get ours from an Amish winery about 1 hr away....Love it!!
'

an Amish winery? i'm showing my ignorance for sure! i had no idea!

where i live the liquor store is the only option...no wine or hard liquor available in the grocery stores. my tiny town has 2 liquor stores and one is only open 3:00-7:00 p.m...we have to plan ahead and schedule our purchases.

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:38 PM   #19
Head Chef

Depending on the wine, 3 different sources: a wine shop, called "Total Wine," health food market, and supermarket.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:54 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie View Post
'

an Amish winery? i'm showing my ignorance for sure! i had no idea!

where i live the liquor store is the only option...no wine or hard liquor available in the grocery stores. my tiny town has 2 liquor stores and one is only open 3:00-7:00 p.m...we have to plan ahead and schedule our purchases.

Well now that you say that......I'm not so sure the owners are Amish....But it is in a small Amish town and everything else there is Amish made/sold. Hmmm I'll have to check on that! But I do know that it is YUMMMYYY and every time I serve it to guests I get requests to pick them up some next time we go.

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote