Where do you buy your wine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hmm collecting wine is something I could never do.... wine does not tend to last long around here.

PA has wretched state controlled wine shops ... its like wine shopping in the soviet bloc

I have finally found a really nice wine store near my work in NJ.... too nice... i need to avoid going there... a nice wine shop and I am like a kid in a candy store.

So where does everyone buy their wine? Grocery store? Liquor store? or a specialty wine shop? And why....

I generally buy my wine from an on-line wine merchant, The Wine Library in Springfield, NJ. However, I usually know what I want to buy and why. This comes from years and years of only buying from a knowledgeable merchant at a wine and spirits store, which is where I got the bulk of my basic wine knowledge.

If you are just getting into wine, I recommend finding a knowledgeable sales person / manager of a wine or liquor store with whom you can discuss your tastes, because it will lead you to discover what wines you really like, and open up your horizons and tastes. I know it did for me.

OTOH, if I am looking for something new, I still take myself to a physical store (sometimes Wine Library, sometimes one of my favorite shops in New York) to discuss my selection with someone else who knows the current scene.

We're surrounded by wine farms so every now and again we'll do a "wine trip" and stock up - unfortunately it never lasts long:rolleyes:. If I quickly need to buy a bottle I'll buy at the supermarket - they tend to have more specials than the liquor stores.

Costco tends to have an acceptable selection at good pricing.

liquor store mostly - but I have purchased wine from restaurants a couple times when I tried something new and wanted more of it!

We buy ours at a grocery, usually a Tom Thumb in this area due to their nice selection on average. But when we lived in Fl, we went to what's called ABC Liquors ... mainly because the owner of the branch nearest us is a Sommelier and could order anything we wanted if he didn't have it in stock. One of the funnest places we bought wine, though a little pricey, was at Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati Ohio (have to Google it, I can't post URL's yet :( ).. they had a huge selection that ranged from the cheap to the unaffordable :)

Back
Top Bottom