Where do you buy your wine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When Buck and I lived in Washington, D.C., we could buy our wine at all the places you listed, Glorie. It all depended on the kind of wine that dictated the place we went.

Here, there's only one choice. The liquor store. However, I have to say the liquor store we prefer has an extensive wine section and the staff is highly knowledgeable.

When I buy wine, I go to a little Mom & Pop store. Its a very little shop but they have a huge selction of wines and lots of knowledge about it. Its a quirky little place that makes pizza, sandwiches and so on but they have a reputation for carrying some great wines. Since I don't know that much I go to them and they always point me in the right direction and they can work with a budget.

We don't drink wine but...when we have to bring some to a party we go to the wine shop. There used to be a great place at Crossroads mall. But I'm not sure if it's there any more.

In Mexico the grocery store we shop at has a wonderful (meaning large) selection and we pick up a bottle or two there.

Where I live you can't buy wine in the grocery store. You have to go to a liquor store for your wine. We have gotten into making our own wine from kits. It really is pretty easy to do. We have been doing it for over 2 years now. We only make red wines so occasionally we buy a bottle of white if needed for a meal.

When we lived in Oregon, we tended to buy it right from the vineyard simply because I loved hearing the wine makers stories. Here, though, we go to the grocery store. Our local store will special order for me and the one I stop at to or from work has a huge selection of NW wines.

If I need to pick up just a bottle or two I stop at Bottle King, a liquor store with a small variety.
If we are doing a restock with lots of varieties we go to Total Wine which is like heaven for wine enthusiasts.

I go to Liquor Direct. Its a wine store and they also sell spirits. They know me by name, is that a bad thing?:brows:
Actually its a nice place to shop, great wine selections and they always point new wine finds out to me.

I buy wine at the grocery store for the most part. I will go to a wine store if I'm looking for something special or different.

Barb

I've been collecting wine for about 40 years, and I maintain a really funky climate-controlled cellar in the garage that holds about 550 bottles. (See photos.)

I buy from several sources:

Los Angeles Wine Company is a favorite because of the excellent prices, although I also buy from a good local store (Manhattan Fine Wines) and a few others in the L.A. Area: Wally's, Woodland Hills Wine Company, Wine Exchange, Amazing Grapes, Southern Hemisphere, and a few others.

I also buy a LOT on line, especially high-end stuff: several places, including Wine Access, Wine.com, J.J. Buckley, K&L, and Wines-Til-Sold-Out, to name a few.

And I buy directly from a few wineries, including Clos Pepe, Navarro, Ojai, Radio-Coteau, and others.

Lastly, the supermarket, mostly for inexpensive daily guzzlers -- around here the markets are quite competitive and all offer 10% off on 6 bottles, but their selection of the really good stuff is generally quite limited.

233820558_zCXTU-L.jpg

233820549_svCs2-L.jpg

I've been collecting wine for about 40 years, and I maintain a really funky climate-controlled cellar in the garage that holds about 550 bottles. (See photos.)

I buy from several sources:

Los Angeles Wine Company is a favorite because of the excellent prices, although I also buy from a good local store (Manhattan Fine Wines) and a few others in the L.A. Area: Wally's, Woodland Hills Wine Company, Wine Exchange, Amazing Grapes, Southern Hemisphere, and a few others.

I also buy a LOT on line, especially high-end stuff: several places, including Wine Access, Wine.com, J.J. Buckley, K&L, and Wines-Til-Sold-Out, to name a few.

And I buy directly from a few wineries, including Clos Pepe, Navarro, Ojai, Radio-Coteau, and others.

Lastly, the supermarket, mostly for inexpensive daily guzzlers -- around here the markets are quite competitive and all offer 10% off on 6 bottles, but their selection of the really good stuff is generally quite limited.

233820558_zCXTU-L.jpg

233820549_svCs2-L.jpg
OMG! If you ever need someone to help you "clean the garage", I volunteer!!!!!

So much depends on how your state controls liquor sales etc. Both Delaware and Maryland have liquor stores which sell beer wine and hard liquors. Some Maryland counties allow beer and wine sales in convenience stores but selection is top ten faves only. Pennsylvania has brew stores for beer and state stores for wine and liquor, but allows local wines to be sold in winery controlled stores. I buy in Del or MD. Better selection and price.

We get ours from an Amish winery about 1 hr away....Love it!!
'

an Amish winery? i'm showing my ignorance for sure! i had no idea!

where i live the liquor store is the only option...no wine or hard liquor available in the grocery stores. my tiny town has 2 liquor stores and one is only open 3:00-7:00 p.m...we have to plan ahead and schedule our purchases. :LOL:

Depending on the wine, 3 different sources: a wine shop, called "Total Wine," health food market, and supermarket.

'

an Amish winery? i'm showing my ignorance for sure! i had no idea!

where i live the liquor store is the only option...no wine or hard liquor available in the grocery stores. my tiny town has 2 liquor stores and one is only open 3:00-7:00 p.m...we have to plan ahead and schedule our purchases. :LOL:

Well now that you say that......I'm not so sure the owners are Amish....But it is in a small Amish town and everything else there is Amish made/sold.:ermm: Hmmm I'll have to check on that! But I do know that it is YUMMMYYY and every time I serve it to guests I get requests to pick them up some next time we go. :)

Back
Top Bottom