Wine Bottle Capsules

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
I'm not suggesting we should go back to lead capsules on wine bottles but I'm a bit sick and tired of these horrible plastic ones. I had a major battle with the last bottle I opened. It involved:-

A pair of large scissors
A pairs of small scissors
A sharp knife
A pair of pliers
and
A chisel

and 10 minutes of wasted drinking time!

Wine bottle capsule??? I have never heard of that.

The way we buy our wine we don't have any problem getting it out.

img_1303531_0_59328c8008f00d499dd8bca2034160b5.jpg

Are you referring to the wrapping around the top of the bottle over the cork? They make tools to remove that, although I use the tip of the corkscrew to remove it. Just use the tip to poke a hole in the capsule at the edge of the bottle (didn't know that was the name for it) and push it around in a circle, et voila! Done.

wine bottle foil cutter

Last edited:
I had to google it. Around here they are called foils or shrink foils. At least that's what they called them we we were making our own wine.

Are you referring to the wrapping around the top of the bottle over the cork? They make tools to remove that, although I use the tip of the corkscrew to remove it. Just use the tip to poke a hole in the capsule at the edge of the bottle (didn't know that was the name for it) and push it around in a circle, et voila! Done.

wine bottle foil cutter
Yes, GG, that's the thing. I'd exhausted the thingy that's made for getting it off and the corkscrew didn't even make a mark on it That's when I started on the list!

wine bottle foil cutter

Years ago I picked up a pewter table knife from Colonial days in a thrift shop. It is table knife dull with a sharp point.

This knife, together with an estate opener, and I can get the best of any cork.

I use a kitchen knife. Run the blade up the bottle starting at the bottom of the foil towards the spout. That cuts a quarter inch slice off the foil. From there it's easy to grab a corner and pull it off.

I use a kitchen knife. Run the blade up the bottle starting at the bottom of the foil towards the spout. That cuts a quarter inch slice off the foil. From there it's easy to grab a corner and pull it off.
This is exactly what I do as well. I've seen a lot of people (including restaurant waiters) try to use the tiny little serrated blade that comes on a corkscrew and painstakingly "saw" the foil off around the lip. I realize that leaving the remaining foil on the bottle gives it an aesthetically pleasing appearance but, come on, it's for drinking! :rolleyes:

We often have to quickly open hundreds of bottles for competitions, and the fastest way to get the foil off is the method you describe.

Back
Top Bottom