"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 02-11-2010, 07:13 AM   #11
Head Chef

When I did my thing, i found the guy at the store to be very helpful ( both on the phone and in person). I was obviously a beginner, and had absolutely no idea what i was doing. It was a fun experience. I just wish I liked wine. Now I have about 20 bottles of wine siting in my basement.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:42 PM   #12
Mr. Greenjeans

This will sound yucky BUT upscale restaurants will have bottles in the trash. OR, you can go ask the local hotel bar to save bottles for you for a couple of bucks.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:57 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post
This will sound yucky BUT upscale restaurants will have bottles in the trash. OR, you can go ask the local hotel bar to save bottles for you for a couple of bucks.
That's not too far out there. I was already considering dumpster diving at the recycling center, but I'm concerned about the legality of it. I know trash is considered abandoned property (which is why the cops can go through your trash without a warrant) but I'm not sure that applies to recyclables. Although the glass bin at the recycling center would not be as nasty as a restaurant dumpster.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:11 PM   #14
Mr. Greenjeans

You could always ask. Tell them that you are skipping the middle step and just using them again as is.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #15
Executive Chef

If you have kids that drink juice, or even if you do, the non-alcoholic sparkling ciders found in the supermarket are bottled in wine-quality bottles and aren't that expensive. Having one class of sparkling juice per day is healthy, and you'll have a nice collection of bottles in no time.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:52 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post
You could always ask. Tell them that you are skipping the middle step and just using them again as is.
Good idea. I'd just have to figure out who to talk to.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:26 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Well, my wine making co-conspirator solved the bottle problem. He parked at the recycling center with a sign saying, "Wanted: Wine Bottles" and ended up with several dozen. He's offered to loan me the sign and as soon as the weather gets a little nicer, I'm going to try it myself.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:01 AM   #18
Senior Cook

For extra bottles you can also go to a local bar or fine restaurant and ask the person behind the bar if they would save some bottles for you.

I disagree about the wine making kits being too costly. We have been making wine from the Vintner's reserve wine kits for over 4 years now. Our average cost per bottle now that we have had the bottles and equipment comes to less than $4.00 a bottle. We get about 29 bottles out of a 6 gallon batch of wine.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:32 PM   #19
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2cookin View Post
For extra bottles you can also go to a local bar or fine restaurant and ask the person behind the bar if they would save some bottles for you.

I disagree about the wine making kits being too costly. We have been making wine from the Vintner's reserve wine kits for over 4 years now. Our average cost per bottle now that we have had the bottles and equipment comes to less than $4.00 a bottle. We get about 29 bottles out of a 6 gallon batch of wine.
I didn't say they were to costly. I said you could buy better quality for less at a brew store. Some stores assemble kits and they end up being great quality but most of the ones you see advertised at high volume sites are not exactly top of the line.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #20
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2cookin View Post

I also have been making wine from various kits (most kits coming out of Canada) for several years. I only had one batch that I personally did not care for, so gave 30 bottles away to friends who love it.
Over the years I have gotten all the "goodies" for making wine, and YES I do ask people to return my bottles.

The last batch I made was a Cellar Classic kit, was rather expensive at $145.00--, but it was a Spanish Tempranillo, smooth as silk ,Cabernet-----well worth the price.

I have better luck with the dry full body red wines, than I do with the white.

And its fun, and I always have wonderful wines to give as gifts which I wrap up in "wine motif" dish towels..........